|Marlee Matlin Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||August 24, 1965|
Marlee Matlin is an American actress, author, and activist who is prominently known for her portrayal of Sarah Norman in the film Children of a Lesser God (1986).
Marlee Beth Matlin
Morton Grove, Illinois, United States
Marlee had attended a synagogue for the Deaf. She also learned Hebrew phonetically as well as the Torah portion for her Bat Mitzvah.
She then studied at John Hersey High School in Arlington Heights before enrolling at Harper College in Palatine, Illinois. In 1987, she received a Doctorate of Humane Letters degree from Gallaudet University.
Actress, Author, Activist
- Father – Donald Matlin (Automobile Dealer)
- Mother – Libby Hammer
- Siblings – Marc Matlin (Brother), Eric Matlin (Brother)
Marlee is represented by United Talent Agency.
Marlee Matlin’s net worth was $11 Million according to Celebrity Net Worth.
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
57 kg or 125.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Marlee has dated –
- Rob Lowe (1987-1988)
- River Phoenix (1988)
- John Stamos
- Kevin Grandalski (1993) – Marlee tied the knot with police officer Kevin Grandalski on August 29, 1993, at the house of actor Henry Winkler. The couple had first met one another on the set of Reasonable Doubts while her now-husband had been assigned to traffic control duty. Together, they have 4 children named Sarah (b. 1996), Brandon (b. 2000), Tyler (b. 2002), and Isabelle (b. 2003).
Race / Ethnicity
Marlee has Ashkenazi Jewish ancestry.
- Wide smile
- Thin lips
She has appeared in the commercials for several brands including Apple and Dogs for the Deaf.
Marlee Matlin Facts
- Growing up, Marlee was exposed to Reform Judaism.
- When Marlee was just 18 months old, she developed a fever and illness that cost her all hearing in her right ear and 80% of the hearing in her left ear. She had also suggested in her autobiography I’ll Scream Later that the unfortunate occurrence may have also been due to a genetically malformed cochlea.
- Initially, she had wanted to pursue a career in criminal justice.
- Marlee is the only member of her family who is deaf.
- Over the years, Marlee has published several books such as Deaf Child Crossing, Leading Ladies, Nobody’s Perfect, and I’ll Scream Later.
- In her book I’ll Scream Later, Marlee had opened up about being molested on two separate occasions, the first being by a babysitter when she was 11, and later by a teacher in high school.
- Her role of Sarah Norman in Children of a Lesser God (1986), made her the only deaf performer to have ever won an Academy Award. She is also the youngest star to win the “Best Actress” category in the Golden Globe and Academy Awards. The film also happened to be her debut theatrical appearance.
- She is an activist for the deaf and also a well-respected member of the National Association of the Deaf.
- Her interpreter’s name is Jack Jason.
- Marlee was 7 years old when she performed on stage for the first time at the International Center on Deafness and the Arts (ICODA) children’s theatre of The Wizard of Oz as Dorothy.
- It was actor, comedian, and director Henry Franklin Winkler who discovered her during one of the performances of the ICODA.
- In 1994, she was appointed by President Bill Clinton as chair of National Volunteer Week at the Corporation for National Service.
- She considers her acting mentor to be actress Piper Laurie.
- In October 2021, she was honored with an award at the 2021 Women in Film Awards.
Featured Image By Larry D. Moore / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0