|Matt Smith Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11½ in|
|Date of Birth||October 28, 1982|
Matt Smith is an English actor, voice actor, theatre artist, and director who is best known for playing the 11th incarnation of the Doctor in the BBC series Doctor Who, Daemon Targaryen in the HBO fantasy drama series House of the Dragon, and Prince Philip in the Netflix historical drama series The Crown. Moreover, he has also been cast in a variety of films such as Lost River, Terminator Genisys, Last Night in Soho, His House, Womb, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Mapplethorpe, The Forgiven, Charlie Says, Christopher and His Kind, Patient Zero, Morbius, The Ruby in the Smoke, The Shadow in the North, An Adventure in Space and Time, The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot, and Official Secrets.
Matthew Robert Smith
Northampton, Northamptonshire, England, United Kingdom
Matt Smith went to the Northampton School for Boys.
After completing his school studies, he got enrolled at the University of East Anglia to graduate in 2005 with a degree in drama and creative writing.
Actor, Voice Actor, Theatre Artist, Director
- Father – David Smith
- Mother – Lynn Smith
- Siblings – Laura Jayne Smith (Sister) (Model)
- Others – Derek Fidler (Maternal Grandfather), Beryl M. Reed (Maternal Grandmother)
Matt Smith has been represented by –
- Troika Talent Agency
- B-Side Management, Talent Agency, London, England, United Kingdom
- Maison 2, Talent Agency, London, England, United Kingdom
His net worth has been $9 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 11½ in or 182 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Matt Smith has dated
- Billie Piper (2006) – Matt Smith was reported to be going out with actress and singer, Billie Piper in 2006. Their relationship came to public knowledge after a picture of them holding hands at the Surrey fete was discovered. According to a friend who was with them that day, they certainly looked like a couple as they indulged in a very public display of affection. They had fallen for each other while working on the TV show, The Ruby in the Smoke.
- Mayana Moura (2009-2008) – Matt first met Brazilian actress and punk singer Mayana Moura in January 2008 at the fashionable Rio nightspot Club 00 during his vacations. They exchanged numbers and upon returning to England, Matt remained in touch with her. By the time he returned to Rio, he was deeply in love with her. They went on a serious date and afterward, Mayana went to England to be with him. He was introduced to her family in January 2009. However, by the mid of the year, they had decided to split. They found it hard to sustain their long-distance relationship. Mayana was based in Rio and New York, while Matt was mostly busy shooting in London.
- Daisy Lowe (2010-2011) – Even before they started dating, Matt had made his feeling clear about Daisy Lowe. When he was asked about what he was looking for in his ideal woman, he replied with Daisy Lowe’s name. He spent months trying to woo her before they actually got together. Their first public appearance was at Coachella Music Festival in April 2010. However, their one and a half years long relationship came to an end as he dumped her towards the end of 2011. Daisy wanted to settle down and he used to get uneasy at the mere mention of engagement or marriage. So, he decided it was time to cut loose.
- Karen Gillan (2012) – It was RUMORed that he had an affair with Scottish actress Karen Gillan in March 2012. The duo has worked together in the BBC series Doctor Who.
- Lily James (2014-2020) – The murmurs of Matt and English actress Lily James being a couple first surfaced in May 2014 after they were pictured relaxing together during the Cannes film festival. After that, they were spotted on a series of casual dates but Lily denied that they were dating and they were just friends hanging out. However, their relationship was confirmed in the first week of October after they were pictured making outside a pub in London. She eventually confessed to dating Matt in a December issue of Marie Claire magazine. In her interview, she revealed that his ability to make her laugh all the time turned out to be very endearing. In June 2017, they were reported to be all set to get engaged as they were spotted shopping for engagement rings. In 2020, it was revealed that the couple had ended their relationship.
- Emma Laird (2023) – In July 2023, he was rumored to be dating actress Emma Laird after they were seen together in London.
Race / Ethnicity
Matt Smith is of English descent.
- Green Eyes
- Strong Defined Jawline
Best Known For
- For being cast as the 11th incarnation of The Doctor in the British sci-fi TV series, Doctor Who.
- Having played the role of Prince Philip in the Netflix biographical series, The Crown, which is based on the British monarchy. This role got him nominated for a Primetime Emmy Award in the “Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series” category in 2018.
In 2008, he was due to make his film debut in a minor role in the drama flick, In Bruges, however, his scene was deleted in the final cut.
In 2009, Matt was then seen in the short drama film (14 minutes long) Together for his lead role as Rob.
First TV Show
In 2006, Matt made his TV show debut in a minor role in the fantasy adventure series, The Ruby in the Smoke, which was an adaptation of the book of the same name, written by Philip Pullman.
Matt Smith usually works out at the Dowe Dynamics Gym in North London. But, he isn’t consistent enough in following his workout routines and would love to hit the gym with more regularity.
Matt Smith Favorite Things
- Most Admirable Person – His father and grandfather
- Word – Snuggle
- Dream Dinner Party Guests – Albert Einstein, Marilyn Monroe, Frank Sinatra, Jennifer Lawrence, and Eric Cantona
- Words He Overuses The Most – Sick, safe and classic
- Books – The Master And Margarita (By Mikhail Bulgakov), A Million Little Pieces (By James Frey)
- Music Band – Radiohead
- Soccer Club – Blackburn Rover FC
Matt Smith Facts
- When he was 3 years old, he had a horrific accident as he fell under the pirate swing while riding it. He had sliced his head due to the accident and had to get 24 stitches to close the wound.
- While growing up, he was a talented soccer player and played for the youth teams of his hometown club Northampton Town, Nottingham Forest and Leicester City.
- He had to give up his burgeoning soccer career due to a serious back injury. At that time, it seemed to be the end of the world to him.
- He got introduced to acting, thanks to his school drama teacher, who signed him up without his consent for the role of a tenth juror in the play adaptation of Twelve Angry Men.
- He eventually agreed to work in play and declined to attend drama theater as he believed he could carve a career out in soccer.
- It was a result of his drama teacher’s persistence that he eventually attended a drama festival as well as agreed to join the National Youth Theatre.
- Matt holds the record of being the first actor from the cast of Doctor Who to win a BAFTA nomination. He is also the first actor to be cast in the leading role in the series at the age of 26.
- His performance in the role of Bassoon in a theater production of The Master and Margarita helped him bag an agent.
- He had auditioned for the role of Dr. John Watson in the TV series, Sherlock. However, the casting team felt he was too eccentric for the role.
- Sherlock director Steven Moffat has claimed that Matt would have been an excellent choice for the role of Sherlock Holmes if they hadn’t already cast Benedict Cumberbatch.
- In September 2022, during an appearance on Today, Matt revealed that Prince Harry has given him the nickname “Granddad” because he portrayed Prince Philip on Netflix’s The Crown.
- Alongside Jared Leto, Adria Arjona, Jared Harris, Al Madrigal, and Tyrese Gibson, he co-starred as Lucien/Milo Morbius in the 2022 superhero film Morbius. The film is based on the Marvel Comics character of the same name.
- In 2022, he started playing the role of Prince Daemon Targaryen (the younger brother of King Viserys I Targaryen and uncle/husband of Princess Rhaenyra Targaryen who is known as the “Rogue Prince” for his unpredictable behavior) in the adventure fantasy drama television series House of the Dragon. The show serves as a prequel to Game of Thrones (2011-2019).
- He isn’t on social media.