|Matteo Berrettini Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||April 12, 1996|
Matteo Berrettini is an Italian professional tennis player who first came into the spotlight when he won both the singles and the doubles titles at the 2018 Swiss Open Gstaad, his first ATP-level titles in both formats. 2019 was his breakthrough year as he won the singles titles at both the Hungarian Open and the Stuttgart Open, and reached the semi-final of both the Shanghai Masters and the US Open. He was named the ‘ATP (Association of Tennis Professionals) Most Improved Player of the Year’ in 2019. In November that year, he had broken into the ‘Top 10’ of the official ATP singles rankings and had become just the 4th Italian player to achieve the feat.
Mat, The Hammer
Rome, Lazio, Italy
He splits his time between Monte Carlo, Monaco, and Rome, Lazio, Italy.
Professional Tennis Player
- Father – Luca Berrettini
- Mother – Claudia Bigo
- Siblings – Jacopo Berrettini (Younger Brother) (Tennis Player)
- Others – Lucia Fogaça (Maternal Grandmother)
Right-Handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
6 ft 5 in or 195.5 cm
95 kg or 209.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Matteo has dated –
- Ajla Tomljanović (2019-2022) – Matteo began dating Croatia-born Australian tennis player Ajla Tomljanovic in late 2019. In March 2022, it was rumored that he had separated from Ajla. In June 2022, he actually confirmed the split.
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (White and Latino)
He is of Italian descent on his father’s side and Brazilian descent on his mother’s side.
- Toned physique
- Affable smile
- Frizzy, curly hair
- Often sports a rugged beard or a light stubble
- Has a tattoo on his right arm
Matteo has been sponsored by –
- Lotto Sport Italia
- Head Tennis
- Signum Pro
- Capri Watch
- Colavita olive oil
Matteo Berrettini Favorite Things
- Tennis Idols – Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal, John McEnroe
- Tennis Surface – Hard Court
- Sports – Tennis, Basketball, Swimming, Soccer, Judo
- Tennis Tournament/Event – ATP Masters 1000 Rome
- Sports League – NBA (National Basketball Association)
- Basketball Player – LeBron James
- Soccer Club – ACF Fiorentina
- Movie – Interstellar (2014)
- TV Series – Breaking Bad (2008-2013)
- Rapper – Eminem
- Cuisine – Italian
- Guilty Pleasure – Gorging on junk food
- School Subject – History
Source – ATP
Matteo Berrettini Facts
- He had started playing tennis from the age of 4 and had competed in several other sports as a child, including swimming, football, basketball, and judo. He had also dreamed of becoming a biologist to work with animals as he was fascinated by them. It was on the advice of his younger brother that he started focusing solely on tennis during his teenage years.
- When he won the 2019 Stuttgart Open, he did not lose a single service game in the tournament. He had also accomplished this rare feat when he had won the 2018 Swiss Open Gstaad, his first ATP singles title. This made him just the 5th male tennis player since 1999 to win 2 tournaments without dropping a single service game.
- When he had reached the semi-final of the 2019 US Open, he had become the 1st Italian male player to do so since 1977.
- When he defeated Dominic Thiem in a round-robin match at the 2019 ATP Finals, he had become the first Italian player to win a match at the year-end championship.
- He is fluent in 3 languages – Italian, English, and Spanish.
- He had reached the final of Wimbledon 2021 but got defeated by Novak Djokovic.
- In January 2022, he had achieved the ATP world ranking of #6 in the singles category.
Featured Image by Matteo Berrettini / Instagram