Melanie Janine Brown
Scary Spice, Mel B, Melanie G
Harehills, Leeds, England, UK
Mel B attended Intake High School in Leeds to study performing arts.
Recording artist, songwriter, dancer, actress, author, TV presenter, model
- Father – Martin Brown
- Mother – Andrea Brown
- Siblings – Danielle Brown (Younger Sister) (Actress)
Melanie is signed to Paradigm Agency.
R&B, hip hop, pop, dance-pop
Virgin, Amber Café, EMI Music Australia
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
59 kg or 130 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Mel B dated –
- Peter Andre – The two singers Peter Andre and Mel B had a short lived affair when Peter was at the top of his career.
- Fjolnir Thorgeirsson (1997-1998) – From 1997 to 1998, Mel B dated Icelander Fjolnir Thorgeirsson while her career was on the rise.
- Jimmy Gulzar (1998-2000) – Then, after she left Fjolnir, Mel B started dating Dutch dancer, Jimmy Gulzar in 1998. They married on September 13, 1998, in Little Marlow, Buckinghamshire. Soon in 2000, Brown filed for divorce, which was finalized later that year. She also gave birth to couple’s daughter Phoenix Chi Gulzar on 19 February 1999.
- Max Beesley (2000-2002) – Actor Maxton Beesley and Melanie were romantically linked to each other from 2000 to 2002.
- James Howarth – Australian actor, James Howarth was rumored to be dating Mel B in May 2002.
- Christine Crokos (2005) – Melanie dated American film director, Christine Crokos briefly in 2005.
- Eddie Murphy (2006) – American comedian, actor, singer, writer Eddie Murphy dated Melanie from June 2006 to December 2006. On April 3, 2007 (Eddie’s 46th birthday), Mel B gave birth to another daughter Angel Iris Murphy Brown.
- Stephen Belafonte (2007-2017) – In February 2007, Melanie started dating film producer, Stephen Belafonte. They married soon on June 6, 2007. The couple welcomed their first child, daughter Madison Brown Belafonte on September 1, 2011. This was Mel B’s third daughter. She also became stepmom to Stephen’s daughter Giselle Belafonte. In December 2016, the couple separated and Melanie filed for divorce in March 2017 which was later settled down.
- Maksim Chmerkovskiy (2007) – After meeting on the set of Dancing With The Stars Season 5, dancer Maksim and Melanie were RUMORed to be dating together. They were paired together and finished second in the reality dancing competition in 2007.
- Lady Victoria Hervey (2007) – In April 2017, socialite and model Lady Victoria Hervey confirmed that she had a threesome with Mel B and Stephen Belafonte just after the couple got married in 2007. She was reportedly seduced by the couple after she was under the influence of alcohol.
- Luann Lee (2008) – In 2008, she had a fling with former Playboy model, Luann Lee.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of English descent on her mother’s side, while she is of Afro-Caribbean descent on her father’s side.
38-26-36 in or 96.5-66-91.5 cm
8 (US) or 38 (EU)
8.5 (US) or 39 (EU)
In 1997, she appeared in a Pepsi-Cola commercial.
In 2000, Mel B appeared in a PSA TV commercial on Commission for Racial Equality.
Apart from these, she also did commercials on Jenny Craig weight loss system (2012), AB Rocket Twister exercise machine (2013), Costa Bingo “Godzilla” (2014).
Her religious beliefs are not known.
Best Known For
Being a member of the girl group Spice Girls.
Melanie released her debut album Hot on October 9, 2000 via Virgin Records. She was able to sell 60,000 copies of the album in UK itself and received the certification of Silver in Britain.
The album charted at #28 in the UK, and #10 in Japan.
She appeared in 1997 British-American musical comedy film Spice World for her role as Scary Spice. Mel B received “Razzie Award for Worst Actress” for her performance in the film.
First TV Show
In 1993, Melanie G guest appeared in ITV’s soap opera Coronation Street for her role as Amy Nelson.
She follows Freshology diet plan. She keeps protein / carb / fat ratio as 30/40/30. Melanie also allows one cheat day in her diet, when she can eat the food of her choice.
She takes the help of personal trainer, Joey Kormier. Dance is her favorite cardio workout. Read her full workout routine and diet plan.
Mel B Favorite Things
Mel B Facts
- Melanie has also worked as a dancer in holiday resort Blackpool, Lancashire.
- Melanie Brown started her music career by participating in a band “Touch”. She, along with other band mates, changed the management team, which lead to a change in the name of the band to “Spice Girls”.
- She released her autobiography “Catch A Fire” in 2002. It reached #7 in official books chart.
- Visit her official website @ melaniebrown.com.
- Connect with Melanie on Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Google+, and Facebook.