|Melinda Shankar Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||February 18, 1992|
Melinda Shankar is a Canadian actor, writer, and producer who is known for playing Allia “Alli” Bhandari in the teen drama television series Degrassi: The Next Generation, Reshma in the drama film Festival of Lights, Talvinder “Tal” Gill in the anthology horror television series Slasher: Guilty Party, and Indira “Indie” Mehta in the television sitcom How To Be Indie. She has also appeared in movies such as Harriet the Spy: Blog Wars, Alive, Filth City, Trigger, Christmas Wedding Planner, and Christmas with a Prince.
Melinda Leanna Shankar
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
North York, Toronto, Canada
Melinda studied at Sir Wilfrid Laurier Secondary School in Ottawa until the 11th grade and then decided to relocate to Toronto at the age of 16. Soon, she got her big break in Degrassi: The Next Generation in 2008.
Actor, Writer, Producer
- Mother – She was an actor.
- Siblings – Melissa Shankar (Sister), Melanie Shankar (Sister), Michael Shankar (Brother) (Hockey Player, Lead Guitarist in a band)
Melinda Shankar has been managed by Noble Caplan Abrams, Talent Agency, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
5 ft or 152.5 cm
51 kg or 112.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Melinda Shankar has dated –
- Munro Chambers (2013) – Munro Chambers who played Wilder on The Latest Buzz dated Melinda for a short period in 2013. The romance was however short-lived, and the two decided to call it off in 2013.
- Daniel Kelly (2010-2012) – Daniel Kelly who played Owen Milligan on Degrassi was Melinda’s co-actor. They began dating in 2010. She went on to reveal that she felt safe around him and since he is from the same profession, they can understand each other better. The two decided to call it quits after 2 years in 2012.
- Justin Kelly (2011-2012) – Canadian actor Justin Kelly hooked up with Melinda for nearly a year from 2011 to 2012.
- Hundy (2013) – She had an affair with Hundy in the year 2013.
Race / Ethnicity
Melinda has Indo-Guyanese ancestry.
Her flawless complexion
Best Known For
- Having played the character of Alli Bhandari in the television series Degrassi: The Next Generation from 2008 to 2015 for which she was awarded the Canadian Screen Award in 2013
- Having played the lead protagonist in the comedy family series How To Be Indie from 2009 to 2011
Melinda made her theatrical film debut in the comedy film Eat Ghee in 2010.
First TV Show
Melinda appeared on the family comedy series Degrassi: The Next Generation as Alli Bhandari from 2008 to 2015.
Melinda has always maintained a healthy lifestyle. She is also trained in martial arts for more than 16 years. She also does boxing and holds a black belt in karate.
Her parents have inculcated healthy eating habits, and hence it became more of a lifestyle for her. She is fondly called a health sergeant because she refrained from fatty and greasy foods and always educated her siblings about the health benefits of a healthy lifestyle.
She follows a raw diet consisting of fruits and vegetables, lean meats, sushi, and carbohydrates in limited quantity since she believes that cooking the food kills most of the nutritional value. Melinda incorporates quinoa as a substitute for rice. She also has varieties of salads topped with dressing.
Melinda Shankar Favorite Things
- Food – Sushi
- Type Of Chocolate – Lindor
- TV Shows – Orange is the New Black
- Superhero – Ms. Marvel, Kamala Khan
- Makeup Brand – La Sante
- Lipstick Color – Heroine by MAC
- Season – Summer
- Meal To Cook – Baked salmon with cream cheese, garlic, dill, and lemon, Mango ginger soup
- Constellation – Aquarius
- Mobile Application – Starlight
- Cooking Sites – Goneraw.com
- Dessert – Red Velvet Cake
- Books – Birthday Book
- Degrassi Memory – The purple vibrator storyline
- Character Played – Alli Bhandari
- Quote – “Everything happens for a reason.”
- Relationship That Alli Has Been In On Degrassi – Leo and Alli
Source – Talk Nerdy With Us, Rogue Stories, Post City Toronto, Open Chest
Melinda Shankar Facts
- Her family has a school in Ottawa where they teach martial arts.
- Her father was diagnosed with diabetes.
- She never had to cook at home while growing up.
- She enjoys reading, especially astrology-related novels.
- Melinda has a library in her bedroom consisting of astrology novels and dream dictionaries.
- Her parents are originally from Guyana, where her great-grandfather owned a theater production company.
- Before becoming a full-time actor, she was a martial artist and a professional ballet dancer.
- She has been a part of various fundraisers and is a strong believer in women’s empowerment.
- Alongside Aidan Quinn, Ritu Singh Pande, and Jimi Mistry, she co-starred as Reshma in the 2010 drama film Festival of Lights.
- She was cast as Indira “Indie” Mehta (an upbeat and lively teenager who is a new generation Indian and is very modern, who often clashes with her parents) in the comedy series How to Be Indie from 2009 to 2011.
- Melinda looks for humor and family-oriented qualities in a man.
- In 2017, she brought to life the character of Talvinder “Tal” Gill (a new, manipulative camp counselor) in the horror anthology series Slasher: Guilty Party.
- She is fond of drawing sketches of clothes and jewelry and has even custom-made some of her outfits from her designs.
- If not an actor, Melinda would have opted to be a fashion designer.
- She confessed to being a tomboy while growing up.
Featured Image by Phil Birnbaum / Flickr / CC BY-2.0