|Mia Wasikowska Quick Info
|5 ft 4 in
|Date of Birth
|October 14, 1989
Mia Wasikowska is an Australian actress who started her professional acting career in 2004 via All Saints. She has been seen in many films such as September (2007), That Evening Sun (2009), Alice in Wonderland (2010), Tracks (2013), Crimson Peak (2015), etc. She has given her voice to the character of Alice Kingsleigh in the video games such as Alice in Wonderland in 2010 and Disney Infinity 3.0 in 2015. She takes a lot of interest in photography.
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
Bronte, New South Wales, Australia
Mia studied at Cook Primary School and Ainslie Primary School.
Furthermore, she attended the Canberra High School and completed her high school education at Karabar High School‘s Distance Education Center at Queanbeyan, which is near Canberra, through correspondence in order to continue acting while studying.
- Father – John Reid (Photographer and Collagist)
- Mother – Marzena Wasikowska (Photographer)
- Siblings – Jess Wasikowska (Older Sister), Kai Wasikowska (Younger Brother)
Mia is represented by California-based William Morris Endeavor Entertainment.
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
48 kg or 106 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Mia Wasikowska has dated –
- Jesse Eisenberg (2013-2015) – Mia met American actor Jesse Eisenberg while shooting for the thriller The Double in 2013. They began dating while shooting for the film but were very private about their relationship and never talked to the media about each other. They were last seen kissing each other in July 2015 at the LAX airport. When Jesse rekindled his romance with his earlier flame Anna Strout in December 2015, it was clear that Mia and Jesse had called it quits for good.
- Robert Pattinson – Mia’s name was attached to her co-star of the film Maps to the Stars (2014), British actor Robert Pattinson. They worked together again in the Damsel (2018) and the sizzling online chemistry formed the base of dating rumors. However, both the actors remained tight-lipped about the status of their relationship.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Polish ancestry on her mother’s side and is of British Isles descent on her father’s side.
- Hazel eyes
- She has a black mole on her left upper lip.
Mia has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Miu Miu
- Prada Fragrance
Best Known For
- Her critically-acclaimed work in the HBO series In Treatment (2008) where she played a troubled teenager named Sophie at the age of 17.
- Receiving worldwide recognition for playing the titular role of Alice in Tim Burton‘s version of Alice in Wonderland which became one of the highest grossing films of 2010 earning a staggering $1.025 billion.
Mia made her theatrical film debut as Lilya in the drama-thriller film Suburban Mayhem in 2006.
First TV Show
Mia made her first TV show appearance in 2004 in the medical drama All Saints in the “Out on a Limb” episode as Lily Watson.
Mia Wasikowska Favorite Things
- Book – Neapolitan novels by Elena Ferrante
- Hobby – Photography
- Movie – Home Alone
- Film Character – Holly Hunter as Ada in The Piano
- Designers – Rodarte, Miu Miu, Comme des Garçon
- Authors – Miranda July, JM Coetzee, Elena Ferrante
- Character Played By Her – Sophie in In Treatment
- Horror Movie – The Shining, Eyes Wide Shut
- Restaurant – Tilley’s
Mia Wasikowska Facts
- Her name is pronounced as “MEE-uh VAH-shee-KOF-ska”.
- Mia’s family shifted base to Szczecin in Poland, for a year when she was 8 years old. The move was made after her mother received a grant to produce a collection of photographs inspired from her own experience of having emigrated from Poland to Australia at the age of 11 in 1974.
- Mia and her siblings were featured in their mother’s production which was more informal and didn’t require them to pose or smile for the camera. According to her interview in 2010, they weren’t made conscious of being photographed and were captured doing everyday things.
- Wasikowska took up ballet lessons at the age of 9 from Jackie Hallahan at the Canberra Dance Development Centre, wanting to make a career out of it. She began dancing en pointe at 13 and trained for as much as 35 hours a week in addition to her school commitments.
- However, she quit ballet at the age of 14 as a spur (a painful, calcified mass) on her heel hampered her prospects of being a dancer. Additionally, the growing demands of attaining physical perfection made her feel dissatisfied, in general.
- From early on, Mia was exposed to the European and Australian cinema. Although she never performed during her school years, she found inspiration to become an actress after watching Holly Hunter in The Piano (1993) and Gena Rowlands in A Woman Under the Influence (1974).
- In a bid to jumpstart her acting career, she looked up 12 Australian talent agencies on the internet and called all of them, only to receive one response. She managed to arrange a meeting due to her determination and persistent callbacks in spite of her lack of acting experience.
- In 2008, Mia was named as one of Variety magazine’s Top Ten Actors to Watch.
- Mia was the second highest-grossing actor of 2010, behind Leonardo DiCaprio. She shared the second place with her Alice in Wonderland co-star Johnny Depp.
- While on the Late Night with Seth Meyers in 2014, Mia admitted that her real birth date is not October 14, 1989, as mentioned on the internet. She added that she likes to keep her real birthdate a secret and it is privy only to those close to her.
- She made into the list of Time’s 100 Most Influential People in the World on April 21, 2011. Her listing featured a brief article written by her Albert Nobbs co-star Glenn Close.
- In December 2011, Mia joined a group of actors to film a series of shorts from The New York Times called Touch of Evil which honored the art of cinematic villainy.
- She made her directorial debut in 2013 by directing a segment of the film The Turning, which was adapted from the short stories of the same name by Australian author Tim Winton.
- She is an avid photographer and is known to capture unfiltered moments from her film sets with her Rolleiflex camera.
- While shooting for Jane Eyre, she got a digital camera sewn into one of her costumes and would shoot her co-stars between takes.
- One such image which featured director Cary Fukunaga and co-star Jamie Bell was selected as a finalist at the 2011 National Photographic Portrait Prize which was hosted by Australia’s National Portrait Gallery on February 24, 2011.
- She was one of the many actresses in contention for the role of Lisbeth Salander in David Fincher’s 2011 film The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. However, she turned down the role due to the time commitment required for the series and the role eventually went to Rooney Mara.
- Mia is not on any social media platform.
Featured Image by Norberturfi / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0