|Mohanlal Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8½ in|
|Date of Birth||May 21, 1960|
Mohanlal is an Indian actor, film producer, playback singer, television host, and film distributor who has mainly worked in Malayalam cinema while also working in some Tamil, Telugu, Kannada, and Hindi-language films. Over the years, he has been a recipient of several accolades including at least 5 National Film Awards, 9 Kerala State Film Awards, and Filmfare Awards South. For his contributions to the arts, he was awarded Padma Shri, India’s 4th-highest civilian honor, by the Government of India in 2001 and was honored with Padma Bhushan, the 3rd-highest civilian honor, in 2019. His filmography includes Vanaprastham, Bharatham, Kizhakkunarum Pakshi, Maya Mayooram, Butterflies, Thacholi Varghese Chekavar, Aaraam Thampuran, Guru, Ayal Kadha Ezhuthukayanu, Ustad, Olympiyan Anthony Adam, Oru Naal Varum, Ladies and Gentleman, Life is Beautiful, Ravanaprabhu, Hariharan Pilla Happy Aanu, Vamanapuram Bus Route, Wanted, Udayananu Tharam, Keerthi Chakra, Hallo, Naran, Innathe Chintha Vishayam, Rock N’ Roll, Flash, Sagar Alias Jacky Reloaded, Mr. Fraud, Munthirivallikal Thalirkkumbol, Kayamkulam Kochunni, Ittymaani: Made in China, Lucifer, Marakkar: Arabikadalinte Simham, Janatha Garage, Ram Gopal Varma Ki Aag, and Big Brother.
Mohan Lal, Lalettan, Lalu, Lal, Bharat Mohanlal, Padma Shri Bharat Mohanlal, Padmashree Bharath Mohanlal, V. Mohanlal, O.M.R, The Complete Actor
Elanthoor, Pathanamthitta, Kerala, India
Thevara, Kochi, Kerala, India
Mohanlal completed his schooling at Model School, Thiruvananthapuram and completed his degree in Commerce from Mahatma Gandhi College in Thiruvananthapuram.
Actor, Producer, Singer, Businessperson, Television Host, Film Distributor
- Father – Viswanathan Nair (Former Bureaucrat and Law Secretary with the Kerala Government)
- Mother – Santhakumary Amma
- Siblings – Pyarelal (Older Brother) (Died in 2000)
- Others – K. Balaji (Father-in-law) (Film Producer) (Died on May 2, 2009), Suresh Balaje (Brother-in-law) (Film Producer), Sujatha Balaji (Sister-in-law)
5 ft 8½ in or 174 cm
80 kg or 176 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Mohanlal has dated –
- Suchitra Balaji (1988-Present) – Suchitra is the daughter of famous Tamil movie producer Balaji. According to him, Suchitra, who is a massive fan of Mohanlal, used to send him greeting cards and flowers before marriage. Initially, both the families had decided to drop the wedding idea, as the horoscopes of the couple didn’t match, but later the astrologer was proved to be wrong. The couple finally got married on April 28, 1988. They have 2 children – a son named Pranav who is an assistant director and a daughter named Vismaya.
Race / Ethnicity
Salt and pepper (Natural)
He prefers dying it ‘Black’ or ‘Dark Brown’.
- His mustache
- Mohanlal’s smile
Mohanlal has endorsed the following brands –
- Tata Sky (September 2013)
- KLF Coconad Coconut Oil (2013)
- Manappuram Finance Ltd (2010)
- Tata Global Beverages (2002)
- Kerala AIDS Control Society (2007)
- Kerala State Athletics (October 2009)
- Subhayatra 2015 (July 2015)
- Mrithasanjeevani (September 2016)
- Kerala handloom industries (March 2010)
- MCR (2001)
- LG Electronics (July 2010)
- Kochi International Half Marathon (2013 and 2014)
- Hotstar (May 2016)
Best Known For
Being a versatile actor in Malayalam cinema and acting in over 400 films in his career which spans over 4 decades
As a Singer
Mohanlal debuted as a singer in the movie Onnanam Kunnil Oradi Kunnil with the song Sindooramegham Shringaarakaavyam composed by Raghu Kumar in 1985. His most famous songs are Thakilu Pukilu (2001), Ithaloornnu Veena (2005), and Attumanal Payayil (2012) to name a few.
Mohanlal made his theatrical film debut in the 1978 film Randu Janmam.
Mohanlal is known to be in good shape and health. He is fond of sports such as cricket, football, and wrestling. He is even well versed in martial art and holds a black belt in Taekwondo, which has helped him in his flexibility and increased his core strength.
Mohanlal is also known to perform stunts in the movie without the aid of stunt doubles. He is often seen hitting the gym. In 2014, for his role in the film Drishyam, he underwent Ayurvedic treatment to lose weight. He is a strict follower of Ayurveda and undergoes treatment every year.
Mohanlal follows a strict diet while on Ayurvedic treatment. In December 2017, Mohanlal went on a strict diet and exercise-based regime for 51 days and lost around 18 kgs. His workout consists of yoga and high-intensity exercises.
- He was a professional wrestler before he ventured into the film industry. He won the state wrestling championship of Kerala in 1978.
- Mohanlal is the highest-paid actor in the Malayalam film industry.
- He trained to be an escape artist for 18 months in secrecy under magician Gopinath Muthukad.
- Mohanlal is also an entrepreneur and owns some businesses including film production and distribution companies, restaurants, and packaged spices. He also holds restaurants in India and overseas which he plans to expand further.
- He appeared as IGP Veerappallil Srinivasan IPS, Mumbai City Police Commissioner, in the 2002 Hindi-language gangster film Company, a sequel to Satya (1998).
- Ironically, what should have been his 1st film, Thiranottam released in 2005. The delay was caused due to censorship issues.
- He co-founded a band along with musician Ratheesh Vegha called Lalisom – The Lal Effect in the past.
- He confessed that he is spiritual and devotional and is a firm believer in destiny.
- Mohanlal was graded with the position of Lieutenant Colonel in the Territorial Army of India and became the only Indian actor to receive this honor.
- Amongst the numerous properties that he has, he also owns an apartment on the 29th floor of Burj Khalifa in Dubai, the world’s tallest building.
- The World Taekwondo Headquarters in Seoul, Korea, officially conferred the title of honorary Black Belt of Taekwondo on the actor Mohanlal, which made him the first actor in South India and 4th in India to get this honor.
- He has received the United Arab Emirates’ golden visa.
- He starred as Stephen Nedumpally/Khureshi Ab’raam in the 2019 Malayalam-language political action thriller film Lucifer, directed by Prithviraj Sukumaran. For this performance, he bagged the South Indian International Movie Award, Asianet Film Award, and Vanitha Film Award in the “Best Actor” category. Also, the film became the highest-grossing Malayalam film ever, beating the 2016 film Pulimurugan.
- In 2022, he was cast as Ganabushanam Neyyattinkara Gopan/Agent X in the Malayalam-language action film Aaraattu.
- Malayalam film Drishyam starring Mohanlal has been re-made in several languages including Hindi, Kannada, Telugu, Tamil, Sinhala (Sri Lanka), Mandarin (China), South Korean, and Indonesian.
- In June 2023, it was revealed that both Drishyam 3 movies (starring Mohanlal in the Malayalam version and Ajay Devgn in the Hindi version) would be released on the same date.
- Visit his official website @ www.thecompleteactor.com.
Featured Image by Hareesh N. Nampoothiri / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0