|Ram Gopal Varma Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 5 in|
|Date of Birth||April 7, 1962|
Ram Gopal Varma is an Indian film director, screenwriter, and producer who is regarded as one of the pioneers of new-age Indian cinema. He has mainly worked in Telugu and Hindi language films and was featured in the BBC World series Bollywood Bosses in 2004. He has gained critical acclaim for his work in experimental films and has received various accolades including the National Film Award, Nandi Award, Filmfare Award, Vamsee Berkley Award, and Bollywood Movie Award. Some of his popular films are Siva, Satya, Gaayam, Shool, Prema Katha, Rangeela, Company, Bhoot, Sarkar, Anaganaga Oka Roju, Kshana Kshanam, Jungle, Sarkar Raj, Rakta Charitra, The Attacks of 26/11, Killing Veerappan, Vangaveeti, Lakshmi’s NTR, Konda, and Darna Zaroori Hai.
Penmetsa Ram Gopal Varma
Ram Gopal Varma, Ramu
Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh, India
He divides his time between –
- Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Hyderabad, Telangana, India
Ram Gopal Varma studied at St. Mary’s High School, one of the oldest schools in India located at St. Francis Road, Secunderabad, Telangana. He then got enrolled at Velagapudi Ramakrishna Siddhartha Engineering College located in Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh, and completed a BE degree in Civil engineering.
Director, Screenwriter, Producer
- Father – Krishnam Raju Varma
- Mother – Suryamma
- Siblings – Varma Vijaya (Brother), Varma Koti (Brother)
- Others – Madhu Mantena (Cousin) (Entrepreneur, Film Producer, Advertiser)
5 ft 5 in or 165 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ram Gopal Varma has dated –
- Ratna – He was previously married to Ratna but the duo eventually got divorced. They have a daughter named Revathi.
- Nathalia Kaur – Varma has also been linked with Brazilian model and actor Nathalia Kaur.
- Suchitra Krishnamoorthi – Reportedly, he was once involved with actor, model, and singer Suchitra Krishnamoorthi.
Race / Ethnicity
Ram Gopal Varma Favorite Things
- Indian Films Of All Time – Kalyug (1981), Ardh Satya (1983), Mere Apne (1971)
Source – IMDb
Ram Gopal Varma Facts
- During his younger years, he used to watch the same film many times “just to watch certain scenes which interested him.” He has stated that that is how he learned film direction.
- He was born in a Telugu-speaking family.
- He would often skip classes to watch films.
- Ram Gopal Varma once stated in an interview with Tehelka, “From my parents’ perspective, I looked like a useless bum. It was the truth. I had no objective. I was just fascinated by people, so I used to study their behaviour. I was most fascinated by the bullies in my classroom. They were like gangsters for me. They had the guts to push around people, do things I couldn’t— perhaps did not even want to do myself. But I’d want a friend like that (laughs). I used to adulate them like heroes. That was my first touch with anti-socialism. Over a period of time, I developed a low-angle fascination for larger than life people. I was always a loner – not because I was unhappy, but because I live away from myself, not just others. I like to study myself – the way I am walking, talking, behaving. My constant obsession with studying myself and other people is perhaps the primary motivation for me to be a filmmaker.”
- He directed the 1995 Hindi-language romantic comedy film Rangeela, starring Urmila Matondkar, Aamir Khan, and Jackie Shroff. The film won him the Filmfare Award for “Best Story” and was later remade in Hollywood as Win a Date with Tad Hamilton! (2004).
- Varma has worked as a site engineer for Krishna Oberoi Hotel in Hyderabad.
- His book Guns and Thighs: The Story of My Life was published in November 2015.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / bollywoodhungama.com / CC BY 3.0