|Neyla Pekarek Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||September 4, 1986|
Neyla Pekarek is best known for being the former member of the folk band, The Lumineers. While she was with the band, they released 2 studio albums and both the albums earned critical acclaim as well as commercial success. The band’s singles such as Ho Hey, Stubborn Love, Cleopatra, and Ophelia have gone on to become international hits. The band has also been considered as one of the finest touring bands in the music industry. In 2018, she decided to drop out of the band and focus on her solo career.
Denver, Colorado, United States
Denver, Colorado, United States
Neyla Pekarek went to the University of Northern Colorado. She had initially decided to major in musical theatre and vocal performance. However, she later changed her major and graduated from the university with a degree in music education.
- Siblings – She has an older sister.
Neyla Pekarek is represented by Alex Kadvan and Marisa Brown of Brilliant Corners.
Indie Folk, Folk Rock, Americana
Vocals, Cello, Piano, Mandolin
Dualtone, Decca, Dine Alone Records
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
51 kg or 112.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Neyla Pekarek has dated –
- Jeff – Neyla is in a relationship with a guy named Jeff. As per one of her Instagram posts, they got married in September 2018 in a very low key and intimate wedding ceremony.
Race / Ethnicity
Usually sports a short cropped hairdo
Neyla Pekarek’s former band’s music has been used for a TV commercial for Dick’s Sporting Goods.
Best Known For
Being a former member of the folk-rock band, The Lumineers. The band is well known for their immense success with their music works featured in the top of music charts in several countries. Their studio album Cleopatra managed to reach the top of U.S. Billboard 200 charts and was certified platinum in the U.S.
In 2012, she released her first studio album, The Lumineers, with the band The Lumineers. It was a huge success and managed to peak at the 2nd spot on the Billboard 200.
First TV Show
In 2012, Neyla Pekarek made her first TV show appearance on the comedy talk show, Conan.
Neyla Pekarek Favorite Things
- Childhood Inspirations – Etta James, Ella Fitzgerald, Aretha Franklin, Otis Redding
- Clothing Brand – Modcloth
Source – Wikipedia, Teen Vogue
Neyla Pekarek Facts
- She started playing cello at the age of 9. She had decided to go with cello because of her school’s policy which only allowed students studying in or above the 5th grade to play woodwind instruments. The 4th-graders were only allowed to play stringed instruments.
- While studying in university, she had planned to become a choir teacher.
- After graduating from the university, she earned some portion of her income by working as a cellist at the weddings.
- Just after she had graduated from the university, she saw an advert on Craiglist which was posted by Wesley Schultz and Jeremiah Fraites, the founders of The Lumineers. They had stated in the advert that they were looking for a cellist for their band. She decided to go for the audition as she thought it would be a fun way to pass the time until she could find something to do full time.
- They practiced for several months in Denver and then started performing at the local events in Denver. Soon after, they decided to go on a 30 days experimental tour and performed in New York City, Oregon, and Portland.
- The Lumineers got their big breakthrough with the success of their single, Ho Hey, which was certified as platinum in several countries including the United States, Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom. It was also featured in popular TV shows such as Bones, Catfish, Hart of Dixie, and The Vampire Diaries.
- In October 2018, it was revealed that she had decided to leave The Lumineers to focus on her own solo career.
- She is also a member of Sweet Adelines International and loves to participate in barbershop music competitions and events.
- In her free time, she loves to conduct musical training workshops for children in her home state of Colorado.
- She has been a vocal critic of the inequality in the music industry. She has claimed that female musicians and singers don’t get as many opportunities as their male counterparts.
- In 2017, the Denver Center for Performing Arts asked her to create a musical about the life of Katherine McHale Slaughterback who was a well-known snake hunter of Colorado.
- Visit his official website @ neylapekarek.com.
- Follow Neyla Pekarek on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Neyla Pekarek / Instagram