Amanda Lee Rogers
Portia de Rossi
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Portia attended Geelong Grammar School in Victoria and also Melbourne Girls Grammar School in Melbourne.
After finishing high school, she studied law at the University of Melbourne.
- Father – Barry Rogers (now died)
- Mother – Margaret (Medical Receptionist)
- Siblings – Michael Rogers (Older Brother)
She is signed to William Morris Endeavor Entertainment.
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
57 kg or 126 pounds
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Portia de Rossi dated –
- Mel Metcalfe (1996-1999) – American documentary filmmaker and sound engineer, Mel Metcalfe started dating Portia when she visited Los Angeles for work in 1996. According to Portia, she married Mel so that she could get a green card for U.S. They split in 1999.
- Guinevere Turner (1999) – In 1999, after splitting from Me Metcalfe, she started dating another American actress, Guinevere Turner. They dated briefly and got separated in the same year.
- Francesca Gregorini (2000-2004) – In 2000, Portia started dating Italian-American director and writer, Francesca Gregorini after meeting her at PJ Harvey concert at Sundance Film Festival. Portia was filming for “Ally McBeal” at that time. The lovebirds got engaged in 2003, but the engagement was called off in late 2004.
- Ellen DeGeneres (2004-Present) – In December 2004, American comedian and talk show host, Ellen DeGeneres started dating Portia de Rossi. There is a huge 15 years age difference among the two with Ellen being older than Portia. After the ban on same-sex marriage was lifted in U.S., Ellen proposed her with a 3-carat pink diamond ring. They married on August 16, 2008 in Beverly Hills.
Race / Ethnicity
Long blonde wavy hair
33-24-35 in or 84-61-89 cm
2 (US) or 32 (EU)
8 (US) or 38.5 (EU)
She appeared in L’oréal NutriVIVE TV commercial in 1999 and later in 2002, Portia appeared in L’Oreal Paris Color Vive Hair Products.
Best Known For
Playing Lindsay Bluth Fünke in the sitcom Arrested Development from 2003 to 2006 and then in 2013, for which she also won two awards in 2003 and 2005.
She is also known for portraying Nelle Porter in the legal comedy-drama series Ally McBeal from 1998 to 2002 in 89 episodes.
First TV Show
From 1995 to 1996, Portia de Rossi played the role as Maria Hunter on Fox’s sitcom Too Something. She was a part of the main cast and appeared in a total of 22 episodes.
Portia is a vegan and gets her motivation from the book Veganist and Quantum Wellness by Kathy Freston. She personally knows the author, so gets to ask any personal health and nutrition related question.
Portia generally starts her day with soy latte with agave nectar followed by a shake consisting of mango, almond milk, and kale.
After turning vegan, at first, the option was limited and so, she tested various Thai and Indian cuisine as these provided her with several vegan recipes.
Portia de Rossi Favorite Things
Portia de Rossi Facts
- Rossi is a horse lover.
- Her career started in 1994 professionally.
- In September 2011, Portia became a citizen of United States of America.
- On September 23, 2010, her name legally got changed to Portia Lee James DeGeneres.
- She is an animal rights activist and hence a vegan.
- She had enjoyed sex (with straight girls) a couple of times while she was in school. She used to convince them for the hook-up.
- Her dad died when she was just 9 years old.
- She started modeling as a child and appeared in print and TV ads.
- When she was 15, she changed her name from “Amanda Lee Rogers” to “Portia de Rossi” in 1988. Her surname is an Italian and the first name was taken from William Shakespeare’s play The Merchant of Venice. Portia wanted a fresh start with a different name, hence changed the name.
- She suffered from anorexia (eating disorder) in her teenage years and young adulthood.
- She and her grandmother’s birthday appears on the same date. Her grandma was born on January 31, 1907. Portia even shares her birthday with her Arrested Development co-star, Jessica Walter.
- In 2003, she contributed as a backing vocalist in her ex-girlfriend Francesca Gregorini’s album, “Sequel.”
- People magazine included her on the list of “100 Most Beautiful” in May 2007.
- In 2014, the couple Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi were included in the list of “World’s Most Powerful Couples” by Forbes.
- Find Portia on Twitter and Instagram.