|Portia de Rossi Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||January 31, 1973|
Portia de Rossi is an Australian-American businesswoman, philanthropist, and former model and actress who is known for appearing as Nelle Porter in Ally McBeal as well as for playing Lindsay Bluth Fünke in Arrested Development, a Fox sitcom for which she received the Golden Satellite Award for “Best Actress in a Series, Comedy or Musical” in 2005 and was nominated for the same award in the “Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Comedy or Musical” category the previous year. Rossi has also been cast in various other projects including Scandal, American Intellectuals, Dead & Breakfast, Now Add Honey, Nip/Tuck, Who Is Cletis Tout?, The Night We Called It a Day, Better Off Ted, Nick Freno: Licensed Teacher, and Ally.
Amanda Lee Rogers
Portia de Rossi
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Portia attended Geelong Grammar School in Victoria and also Melbourne Girls Grammar School in Melbourne.
After finishing high school, she studied law at the University of Melbourne.
Actress, Model, Businesswoman, Philanthropist
- Father – Barry Rogers (now died)
- Mother – Margaret (Medical Receptionist)
- Sibling – Michael Rogers (Older Brother)
She has been signed with William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, Talent and Literary Agency, Beverly Hills, California, United States
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
57 kg or 126 lbs
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Portia de Rossi has dated –
- Mel Metcalfe (1996-1999) – American documentary filmmaker and sound engineer Mel Metcalfe started dating Portia when she visited Los Angeles for work in 1996. According to Portia, she married Mel so that she could get a green card for the U.S. They split in 1999.
- Guinevere Turner (1999) – In 1999, after splitting from Me Metcalfe, she started dating another American actress Guinevere Turner. They dated briefly and got separated in the same year.
- Francesca Gregorini (2000-2004) – In 2000, Portia started dating Italian-American director and writer Francesca Gregorini after meeting her at the PJ Harvey concert at Sundance Film Festival. Portia was filming for “Ally McBeal” at that time. The lovebirds got engaged in 2003, but the engagement was called off in late 2004.
- Ellen DeGeneres (2004-Present) – In December 2004, American comedian and talk show host, Ellen DeGeneres started dating Portia de Rossi. There is a huge age difference of 15 years between the two with Ellen being older than Portia. After the ban on same-sex marriage was lifted in the U.S., Ellen proposed to her with a 3-carat pink diamond ring. They married on August 16, 2008, in Beverly Hills. They renewed their wedding vows in February 2023.
Race / Ethnicity
Portia de Rossi is of English descent.
Long blonde wavy hair
33-24-35 in or 84-61-89 cm
2 (US) or 34 (EU)
8 (US) or 5.5 (UK) or 38.5 (EU)
She appeared in L’oréal NutriVIVE TV commercial in 1999 and later in 2002, Portia appeared in L’Oreal Paris Color Vive Hair Products.
Best Known For
- Playing Lindsay Bluth Fünke in the sitcom Arrested Development from 2003 to 2006 and then in 2013, for which she also won two awards in 2003 and 2005
- She is also known for portraying Nelle Porter in the legal comedy-drama series Ally McBeal from 1998 to 2002 in 89 episodes.
First TV Show
From 1995 to 1996, Portia de Rossi played the role of Maria Hunter on Fox’s sitcom Too Something. She was a part of the main cast and appeared in a total of 22 episodes.
Portia is a vegan and gets her motivation from the book Veganist and Quantum Wellness by Kathy Freston. She personally knows the author, so gets to ask any personal health and nutrition-related question.
Portia generally starts her day with a soy latte with agave nectar followed by a shake consisting of mango, almond milk, and kale.
After turning vegan, at first, the option was limited and so, she tested various Thai and Indian cuisine as these provided her with several vegan recipes.
It seems she does exercise. Portia was once recorded by Ellen DeGeneres doing the Jane Fonda Workout. Here is the video.
Portia de Rossi Facts
- Rossi is a horse lover.
- Her career started in 1994 professionally.
- In September 2011, Portia became a citizen of the United States of America.
- On September 23, 2010, her name legally got changed to Portia Lee James DeGeneres.
- She is an animal rights activist and hence a vegan.
- She had enjoyed sex (with straight girls) a couple of times while she was in school. She used to convince them for the hook-up.
- Her dad died when she was just 9 years old.
- She started modeling as a child and appeared in print and TV ads.
- When she was 15, she changed her name from “Amanda Lee Rogers” to “Portia de Rossi” in 1988. Her surname is Italian and the first name was taken from William Shakespeare’s play The Merchant of Venice. Portia wanted a fresh start with a different name, hence changed the name.
- She suffered from anorexia (eating disorder) in her teenage years and young adulthood.
- She and her grandmother’s birthday appears on the same date. Her grandma was born on January 31, 1907. Portia even shares her birthday with her Arrested Development co-star, Jessica Walter.
- In 2003, she contributed as a backing vocalist in her ex-girlfriend Francesca Gregorini’s album, “Sequel.”
- People magazine included her on the list of “100 Most Beautiful” in May 2007.
- In 2014, the couple Ellen DeGeneres and Portia de Rossi were included in the list of “World’s Most Powerful Couples” by Forbes.
- Via one of her tweets in 2017, she accused actor Steven Seagal of exposing himself to her while she was auditioning for one of his films.
- She provided vocals to the character of Edie in an episode titled The Emergency Plan of the American-Irish animated children’s television series, Doc McStuffins, in 2017.
- In December 2020, Portia and Ellen purchased a new house in Montecito, California, for $49 million. The house is a 4.3-acre compound with 5 separate structures and is near Prince Harry and Meghan Markle‘s mansion.
- She has also worked with organizations like Locks of Love, FXB International, The Art of Elysium, Alley Cat Allies, and The Gentle Barn.
- In March 2021, she underwent an emergency appendectomy surgery.
- In 2022, Portia and Ellen bought a house in the Hedgerow District of Montecito for $5.4 million. In November 2022, the couple listed the property for $5.85 million.
- In November 2022, Portia and Ellen purchased a house in the LA’s Bel Air neighborhood for $29 million.
- In December 2022, Ellen and Portia reportedly purchased a Tuscan farmhouse-style mansion for $41.7 million and a 6.6-acre plot for $28.2 million in Santa Barbara.