|Prince Carl Philip, Duke of Värmland Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 11 in|
|Date of Birth||May 13, 1979|
Prince Carl Philip, Duke of Värmland is the only son and the 2nd of three children of King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia.
Carl Philip Edmund Bertil
Prince Carl Philip, Duke of Värmland
Stockholm Palace, Stockholm, Sweden
Villa Solbacken, Central Stockholm, Sweden
Prince Carl Philip studied at the Västerled parish preschool from 1984 to 1986 and then got enrolled at Smedslättsskolan in Bromma in the autumn of 1986. Afterward, he attended Ålstensskolan in Bromma and Enskilda Gymnasiet in Stockholm.
He joined Kent School in 1994 before attending a science program at Lundsbergs upper secondary school, graduating in 1999. He studied graphic design at the Rhode Island School of Design for a year between 2007 and 2008 and completed his studies in Agricultural and Rural Management at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences in Alnarp in 2011.
Member of the Swedish Royal Family
- Father – Carl XVI Gustaf (King of Sweden)
- Mother – Queen Silvia of Sweden (Queen Consort of Sweden)
- Siblings – Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden (Older Sister) (Heir apparent to the Swedish throne), Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland (Younger Sister)
- Others – Prince Gustaf Adolf, Duke of Västerbotten (Paternal Grandfather), Princess Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (Paternal Grandmother), Walther Sommerlath (Maternal Grandfather) (Businessman), Alice Sommerlath (Maternal Grandmother), Princess Christina, Mrs. Magnuson (Paternal Aunt), Princess Margaretha, Mrs. Ambler (Paternal Aunt), Princess Birgitta of Sweden (Paternal Aunt), Princess Désirée, Baroness Silfverschiöld (Paternal Aunt), Ralf Sommerlath (Maternal Uncle), Walther Ludwig Sommerlath (Maternal Uncle), Hans Jörg Sommerlath (Maternal Uncle), Prince Daniel, Duke of Västergötland (Brother-In-Law), Christopher O’Neill (Brother-In-Law), Princess Estelle, Duchess of Östergötland (Niece), Prince Oscar, Duke of Skåne (Nephew), Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland (Niece), Prince Nicolas, Duke of Ångermanland (Nephew), Princess Adrienne, Duchess of Blekinge (Niece)
5 ft 11 in or 180.5 cm
72 kg or 158.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Prince Carl Philip has dated –
- Emma Pernald (1999-2009) – He started dating Emma Pernald in 1999 but the duo later decided to part ways after several years of relationship in 2009.
- Princess Sofia, Duchess of Värmland (2010-Present) – In April 2010, he was linked with former glamour model Sofia Hellqvist and the news of their romance was later confirmed by Royal Court spokesperson Nina Eldh in August 2010. The duo’s engagement was announced on June 27, 2014, and they got married on June 13, 2015, in Stockholm’s Royal Palace chapel. They parent 2 sons – Prince Alexander, Duke of Södermanland (b. April 19, 2016) and Prince Gabriel, Duke of Dalarna (b. August 31, 2017). The Royal Court announced on December 11, 2020, that the couple is expecting their 3rd child, due in late March or early April 2021. They welcomed their 3rd son, Prince Julian on March 26, 2021, at Danderyd Hospital in Stockholm, Sweden.
Race / Ethnicity
Mixed (White and Latino)
He is of half German and half Brazilian descent on his mother’s side.
Church of Sweden
Prince Carl Philip, Duke of Värmland Facts
- He was baptized at the Royal Chapel on August 31, 1979.
- He was the heir apparent to the throne of Sweden for 7 months until January 1, 1980, when a change in the constitution came into effect making natural birth order the basis for succession to the throne. It replaced the former principle of agnatic primogeniture and his older sister Victoria became heir apparent.
- His title is stylized as “His Royal Highness Prince Carl Philip of Sweden, Duke of Värmland”.
- He is dyslexic.
- On November 26, 2020, it was announced that Carl Philip and Sofia had tested positive for coronavirus.
Featured Image by Frankie Fouganthin / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 4.0