|Ralph Macchio Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8.5 in|
|Date of Birth||November 4, 1961|
Ralph Macchio is an American actor and producer best known for his portrayal of Daniel LaRusso in the 1984 movie The Karate Kid. Apart from that, he is also known for playing several other characters such as Johnny Cade in 1983 drama film The Outsiders, Eugene Martone in the 1986 drama film Crossroads, and Bill Gambini in the 1992 comedy My Cousin Vinny.
Ralph George Macchio Jr.
Huntington, New York, United States
Long Island, New York, United States
Ralph attended Half Hollow Hills West High School and graduated in 1979.
- Father – Ralph Macchio, Sr.
- Mother – Rosalie (née DeSantis)
- Siblings – Steven Macchio (Brother)
Ralph is represented by –
- Untitled Management
- Don Buchwald & Associates L.A.
5 ft 8.5 in or 174 cm
72 kg or 159 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Ralph has dated –
- Phyllis Fierro (1987-Present) – Ralph first met Phyllis at the age of 15. She was a nurse practitioner and was taking care of Ralph’s grandmother. The couple got married on April 5, 1987, and have 2 children – a daughter named Julia (b. 1992) and a son named Daniel (b. 1996).
Race / Ethnicity
Ralph has Italian and Greek ancestry.
- Broad nose
- Thin lips
Ralph has appeared in commercials for products like –
- Vitamin Water (2008)
- Bubble Yum
- Dr. Pepper
Best Known For
Playing the character of Daniel LaRusso in the famous film The Karate Kid in 1984
Ralph made his theatrical film debut in the 1980 comedy film Up the Academy as Chooch Bambalazi.
First TV Show
Ralph made his first TV show appearance in Eight Is Enough as Jeremy Andretti in 1980.
As per an interview in 2014, Ralph was exercising regularly. He liked to take 10-minute training intervals in between his sessions so that the workout didn’t get boring. He also enjoyed playing tennis and softball or any such game as a cardio.
Ralph also followed a balanced diet including fruits, vegetables, protein, whole grains, and fiber. He also tried to control mindless eating and eat spaced-out meals.
Ralph Macchio Favorite Things
- Dessert – Donuts
- Songwriter /Singer – Bruce Springsteen
- Hockey Team – New York Islanders
Ralph Macchio Facts
- He started acting in television commercials even before he was 18.
- He got his first major role in 1983, as Johnny Cade in The Outsiders. The film turned out to be successful and Ralph started to be listed among other stars like Tom Cruise, Emilio Estevez, and Matt Dillon.
- In 1984, his first breakthrough film The Karate Kid released which made him a teen sensation.
- He has been featured on the covers of magazines like Teen Beat, 16, and Tiger Beat.
- In 2011, he was one of the contestants in the famous TV show Dancing with the Stars along with his partner Karina Smirnoff. The pair finished off fourth.
- In John Willis’ Screen World, Vol 36, Ralph was listed as one of the twelve ‘Promising New Actors’ of 1984.
- In 2013, he appeared as himself in an episode of the famous CBS show How I Met Your Mother.
- Ralph was a one-time All-Star second baseman in Little League Baseball on a team called Mets.
- Ralph has seen his favorite singer Bruce Springsteen performing live at least 20 times in his life but, has never met him personally.
- In the 7th grade, he was a part of the wrestling team. His school had to introduce a weight category specifically for him as he was under 68 pounds (or ~31 kg).
- Due to parallel parking technicality, Ralph couldn’t pass the first attempt of the road test.
- Macchio’s first job was to work in a laundromat run by his dad where he made just $1 an hour.
- Ralph prefers red wine over white wine.
- He prefers drinking espresso instead of drip coffee.
- Ralph starts his day with either a double espresso macchiato or cortado almost daily.
- She enjoys spending his time at Napa Valley in California.
- He is a morning person.
- Ralph likes listening to classical movie scores.
- At the age of 10, he took 10 lessons in self-defense.
- Ralph’s first date with his wife Phyllis Fierro was a movie date where they went on to watch Martin Scorsese’s New York, New York starring Robert De Niro and Liza Minnelli.
- In 1973, Ralph visited Tanzania and Kenya with his parents and brother.
- He has also directed and written a short film Love Thy Brother. It is based on his own sibling rivalry. The film also premiered at Sundance.
- In 1986, he appeared in a play Cuba and His Teddy Bear alongside Robert De Niro, which was performed at Rikers Island.
- During the ’86 playoffs and World Series, Ralph went to see each and every New York Mets home game.
- While filming The Karate Kid Part III, he had got very bad poison oak due to which the film shooting was paused for around 15 days.
- In high school, he has also served as a student choreographer for the class musicals.
Featured Image by GabboT / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0