|Rema Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||May 1, 2000|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Rema is a Nigerian singer, songwriter, musician, and rapper who rose to acclaim with the release of his song Dumebi in 2019. Over the years, he has also released a number of other tracks, albums, and extended plays such as Corny, Calm Down, Boulevard, Rema, Calm Down Remix (with Selena Gomez), Alien, Freestyle EP, Bad Commando, Why, Rave & Roses, American Love, Lady, Rainbow, Trap Out the Submarine, Spiderman, Spaceship Jocelyn, Rewind, Dumebi Remix (ft. Becky G), Ginger Me, Woman, Soundgasm, Beamer (Bad Boys) (with Rvssian), Fame, Breathe Anthem (with Breathe Music WA and Mani Lapussh), Only You (with STANY and Offset), Bounce, Peace of Mind, FYN (ft. AJ Tracey), and 44 (ft. Bad Gyal).
Rema, Remmy Boy
Benin City, Edo, Nigeria
Rema received his primary and secondary school education at Ighile Group of Schools in Edo State. He later got enrolled at the University of Lagos located in Lagos, Nigeria.
Singer, Songwriter, Musician, Rapper
- Father – Justice Ikubor (Former chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)) (Deceased)
- Siblings – He had an older brother.
Afrobeats, Afrorave, Rap
Jonzing World, Mavin Records
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
68 kg or 150 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
Multiple tattoos on his body
He was born in a Christian household.
- Growing up, he started singing and rapping.
- After the demise of his father and older brother, Rema was left to take care of his mother.
- His songs were included on the FIFA 21 soundtracks in September 2020.
- Following the death of his father, Rema tweeted accusations against the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) (one of the 3 major contemporary political parties in Nigeria) on September 28, 2020, and demanded answers for his death.
- Rema released his debut studio album Rave & Roses on March 25, 2022, via Jonzing World and Mavin Records. Its tracklist consists of Calm Down, Divine, Carry, Time n Affection (with Chris Brown), Runaway, Mara, Love, Dirty, Wine (with Yseult), Addicted, Are You There?, Hold Me (with 6lack), Oroma Baby, FYN (with AJ Tracey), and others. The album peaked at #2 on the US World Albums (Billboard) chart, at #13 on the Dutch Albums (Album Top 100) chart, at #18 on the Nigerian Albums (TurnTable) chart, at #21 on the Canadian Albums (Billboard) chart, and at #154 on the US Billboard 200 chart. Jessica Kariisa of Pitchfork stated that “Rema sounds just as confident and irrepressibly youthful as ever”.
- The song Calm Down Remix (with Selena Gomez) peaked at #1 on the US World Digital Song Sales (Billboard) chart and US Afrobeats Songs (Billboard) chart, at #9 on the US Mainstream Top 40 (Billboard) chart, at #10 on the US Rhythmic (Billboard) chart, at #15 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, and at #36 on the US Adult Top 40 (Billboard). Reviewing the remix, Vanguard writer Adegboyega Remmy Adeleye stated that Gomez’ “melodic tune complements Rema’s vibe perfectly, maintaining the same energy as the original release”.
- He is a huge football fan and is a supporter of the football club Manchester United F.C.
- He received the Digital Artist of the Year award at the Soundcity MVP Awards held at the Eko Convention Centre in Lagos in February 2023.
- In May 2023, he did an India tour called Rema Calm Down India Tour which was his debut tour in India. Cricketer Chris Gayle also joined Rema on his Mumbai tour.
- During the 2023 MTV Video Music Awards, Rema and Selena Gomez won the award for “Best Afrobeats” for their song, Calm Down.
Featured Image by Rema / Instagram