|Renee O’Connor Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||February 15, 1971|
Renee O’Connor is an American actress, producer, director, and teacher whose most significant achievement came with her role of Gabrielle in Xena: Warrior Princess (1995-2001). She is also noted for her appearance in several other shows such as Criminal Minds (2008), Hercules: The Legendary Journeys (1997-1999), NYPD Blue (1993), and FBI: The Untold Stories (1992). Besides that, Renee has also starred in over a dozen films including Stone Cold (1991), The Adventures of Huck Finn (1993), Alien Apocalypse (2005), Bitch Slap (2009), Beyond the Farthest Star (2015), and A Question of Faith (2017).
She has also diversified her career pursuit as a producer and director who worked on a number of films like Diamonds and Guns (2008), Are You Kidding Me (2011), Broken Things (2014), and Watch the Sky (2017). Her acting stint also included various theatre productions like playing Lady Macbeth in Macbeth (2002), Lily St.Regis in Annie (2017), The Nurse in Romeo and Juliet (2018), and The Wicked Witch of the West in Wizard of Oz (2019). With time, Renee has also amassed a huge fan base with more than 50k followers on Instagram.
Evelyn Renee O’Connor
Katy, Texas, United States
Renee attended Taylor High School, before moving to Kinder High School for the Performing and Visual Arts. Later, she transferred back to Taylor High School to be able to finish her schooling along with her friends.
She also studied at the Alley Theatre in Houston.
Actress, Director, Producer, Teacher
- Father – Walter Howard O’Connor
- Mother – Sandra Diane Wilson
- Siblings – Chris O’Connor (Older Brother) (Store Manager)
- Others – Douglas Wayne Clifton (Maternal Grandfather), Evelyn Jewel Parson (Maternal Grandmother), Wilbur Walter Parson (Maternal Great Grandfather), Minnie Lee Coleman (Maternal Great Grandmother), Eddie Wilson (Stepfather) (Restaurateur)
Renee is represented by Grant Management and ROC Productions.
5 ft 4 in or 163 cm
54 kg or 119 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Renee has dated –
- Steve Muir – Renee got married to New Zealander restaurateur Steve Muir in October 2000 in Austin, Texas. They had been dating one another even before 1998 while she was shooting for Xena: Warrior Princess. In an interview, Renee stated that the reason she was attracted to him was that her mother had also married a restaurateur named Eddie Wilson. Together Renee and her then-husband had a son named Miles William Muir (b. September 22, 2001). At the time of his birth, he weighed ’8 pounds 8 ounces’. However, once the show ended, Renee decided to move back to Austin to be with her family. After which, Steve had filed for divorce. Hence, putting an end to their wondrous relationship in 2005.
- Jed Sura (2003-Present) – Actor Jed Sura and Renee met one another on the set of Enter in 2003. The two dated for a while before having their first child a girl named Iris Sura O’Connor (b. March 19, 2006).
Race / Ethnicity
She has English and Irish ancestry.
- Thin lips
- Beautiful eyes
- Blonde color hair
Renee has appeared in several commercials for several brands including McDonald’s.
Best Known For
- Playing the sidekick Gabrielle on Xena: Warrior Princess from 1995 to 2001 alongside actress Lucy Lawless
- Starring in several other shows such as Criminal Minds (2008), Hercules: The Legendary Journeys (1997-1999), NYPD Blue (1993), and FBI: The Untold Stories (1992)
- Being cast as Tinselteeth in Stone Cold (1991), Julia Wilks in The Adventures of Huck Finn (1993), Kelly in Alien Apocalypse (2005), Sister Batrille in Bitch Slap (2009), Maurene Wells in Beyond the Farthest Star (2015), and Mary Danielson in A Question of Faith (2017)
- Being featured on the cover of TV Guide from July 29, 2000, to August 4, 2000, as “one of “The Sexiest Stars in the Universe”
She made her debut theatrical film appearance as Jennifer Winslow in Black Snow n 1989.
First TV Show
Renee made her first TV show appearance as Nancy Nichols in Teen Angel in 1985.
In an interview, Renee stated that she had been working out much before she had booked the role of Gabrielle in Xena: Warrior Princess. She also spoke about exercising 6 times a week during the evening, due to her busy schedule. Renee would work out for an hour each day at a gym in Auckland.
She would also go to an indoor rock-climbing gym during the night.
As for her diet plan, her breakfast, she would usually consist of light meals like fruit and granola with skim milk while working on the set of Xena: Princess Warrior. As for lunch chicken, steamed spinach, and vegetables.
Renee O’Connor Facts
- She grew up in Katy, a city just west of Houston, Texas with her mother. Later, she moved to Los Angeles in order to pursue acting.
- After Renee was born, her mother Sandra and father Walter legally parted ways from one another. After which, her mother remarried restaurateur Eddie Wilson.
- Renee’s mother Sandra is the creator of the “International Reneé O’Connor Fan Club”.
- She was barely 12 years old when she had been taking acting lessons at the Houston’s Alley Theatre.
- Her first professional gig was as a dancing Porky Pig at Astroworld.
- Prior to being cast on Xena: Warrior Princess, Renee played the Deianeira in its sister TV movie Hercules: The Legendary Journeys – Hercules and the Lost Kingdom (1994).
- She moved to Auckland, New Zealand, to shoot for Xena: Warrior Princess series until 2001.
- A teacher from Taylor High School, where she had studied took an autograph from Renee before she could graduate.
- Though Renee can’t sing, her character Gabrielle in Xena: Warrior Princess had a beautiful voice. This was because Renee was lip-syncing. She also had a crew of body double, stunt double, and riding double.
- In the past, a kiss that O’Connor and actress Lucy Lawless shared on Xena: Warrior Princess, turned out to be quite the highlight. People of the LGBT community started taking to the internet in order to come out from hiding. At the same time, critics also began to cause a ruckus. In an interview with The Austin Chronicle in February 1998, Renee said “Well, we didn’t actually smooch, but we had the shot and we came in very close together. We were definitely there. We were in front of a blue screen. They wanted to make it heaven-like.” Despite the controversy, the two co-stars have remained close friends ever since.
- Renee’s nickname “Roc” is that of a big bird of prey.
- She is a huge fan of musician, singer, and songwriter Toni Braxton, Natalie Cole, Billy Joel, and Elton John.
- In 1989, she was featured in the Tales from the Crypt’s episode entitled The Switch. The episode was directed by politician, actor, and former professional bodybuilder Arnold Schwarzenegger.
- After returning from New Zealand, Renee started her very own production house “ROCPictures” in 2002. Later, she began a video subscription channel in order to promote awareness for her company on the internet.
- She was once featured in a commercial for McDonald’s.
- Besides just being an actress and an acting teacher, Renee is also a professionally trained Taekwondo and Shinkendo. Besides that, she is trained in several other styles including Karate Bō Staff, the Nunchaku, the Sais, and Katana.
- In the past, Renee had climbed to the peak of Mount Kilimanjaro.
- During her spare time, Renee enjoys dabbling in rock climbing, kickboxing, horseback riding, and painting.
- Her stepfather Eddie, formerly owned the Armadillo World Headquarters. Later, he started the restaurant chain Threadgill’s, known for its live music.
- Besides acting, Renee is also a painter who has displayed her artwork in more than one gallery including the Submerged Art Gallery in Los Angeles.
- Her incredible work as an entertainer earned her a spot on People’s magazine listed her #3rd place on their “Most Intriguing People” as well as on their “Most Beautiful” list of 1997.
- She was featured on the cover of TV Guide from July 29, 2000, to August 4, 2000, as “one of “The Sexiest Stars in the Universe”. In the same year, she was also placed at #45 on FHM-US and FHM-Australia’s “100 Sexiest Women list”.
- In the past, Renee was chosen as LesbiaNATION.com most loved woman of 2006.
- Renee had directed two episodes on Xena: Princess Warrior. They were entitled Dangerous Prey (2001) and Deja Vu All Over Again (1999).
- Renee is a huge supporter of the gay community and has appeared in several of their pride events including Sydney Gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras.
- Renee made her independent production debut with the romedy film Diamonds and Guns in 2008.
- She is a huge supporter of the Alissa Ann Ruch Burn Foundation, closely working with Southern California Firefighters Burn Relay to raise money for the foundation. Besides that, Renee is also the owner of The Renée O’Connor Outreach Fund, that is dedicated to helping families who cannot afford to pay high hospital bills.
- Visit her official website @ rocpictures.com.
Featured Image By Renee O’Connor Fan Page / Instagram