|Revathi Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||July 8, 1966|
Revathi is a talented Indian actress, director, and social worker who boasts a distinguished filmography of over 100 films, predominantly in regional cinema like Tamil, Malayalam, Telugu, and Kannada. Her most notable film credits include Mann Vasanai (1983), Kattathe Kilikkoodu (1983), Kai Kodukkum Kai (1984), Thevar Magan (1992), Mouna Raagam (1986), Anjali (1990), Kilukkam (1991), Punnagai Mannan (1986), Kizhakku Vaasal (1990), Devasuram (1993), Kakkothikkavile Appooppan Thaadikal (1988), etc. Moreover, she has also given memorable performances in Hindi films like Love (1991), Ab Tak Chhappan (2004), Nishabd (2007), 2 States (2014), Margarita With A Straw (2014), etc.
Asha Kelunni Nair
Cochin, Kerala, India
Actress, Director, Social Worker
- Father – Malank Kelunni Nair (Major in the Indian Army)
- Mother – Lalitha Kelunni
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Revathi has dated –
- Suresh Chandra Menon (1985-2013) – She met and fell in love with the cinematographer, actor, and director Suresh Chandra Menon while shooting the film, Prema Pasam (1985). The lovebirds tied the knot in 1986. They did not have any children together and began living separately in 2002. After almost a decade, the estranged couple finalized their divorce in April 2013.
- Revathi announced in 2018 that she had given birth to a daughter named Mahee through in vitro fertilization 5 years ago.
Race / Ethnicity
- Big, bold eyes
- Charming smile
- At the age of 17, she made her feature film debut by starring in the Tamil director Bharathiraja’s film, Mann Vasanai (1983). The famed director decided to cast her after finding her picture on the cover of a popular Tamil magazine.
- Revathi began training in Bharatanatyam at the age of 7 years and performed her ‘arangetram’ in Chennai at 13 years in 1979.
- Revathi was among the top South Indian actresses during the 1980s and 1990s. She went on to receive the ‘Best Actress’ Filmfare Award in Tamil, Telugu, and Malayalam languages. Furthermore, she also holds the distinction of winning the award consecutively for 3 years in Tamil (1992, 1993, 1994).
- Revathi made her directorial debut with Mitr, My Friend (2002) starring Shobana in the lead role. The film won 3 National Film Awards, including ‘Best English Film of The Year’.
- Her other directorial ventures were Phir Milenge (2004) and Salaam Venky (2022). The former film, starring Shilpa Shetty, Salman Khan, and Abhishek Bachchan was inspired by the Oscar-winning Hollywood film, Philadelphia (1993).
- Revathi and her ex-husband Suresh shared screen space only once in his directorial venture, Puthiya Mugam (1993).
- As of 2023, she has been awarded the National Film Award thrice. Her first win came in 1992 for ‘Best Supporting Actress’ in the film, Thevar Magan (1992). She took home the prize again in 2001 in the ‘Best Feature Film in English’ category for her directorial debut Mitr, My Friend (2002). Lastly, she became a 3-time winner in 2011 when she won the ‘Best Non-Feature Film on Family Welfare’ award for the short film Red Building Where the Sun Sets (2011).
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0 DEED