|Ruth Gemmell Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||January 2, 1967|
Ruth Gemmell is an English actress and theatre artist who is known for playing the role of Sarah Hughes in Fever Pitch. Some of her other on-screen projects include shows and movies like Cliffs of Freedom, Tracy Beaker: The Movie of Me, EastEnders, Silent Witness, Home Fires, Bridgerton, Utopia, Waking the Dead, Agatha Christie’s Poirot, and Trial & Retribution.
Ruth Katrin Gemmell
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Ruth Gemmell studied at Polam Hall School, an all-girls’ school in Darlington. Afterward, she attended the Webber Douglas Academy of Dramatic Art in London.
Actress, Theatre Artist
- Siblings – She has 3 brothers.
Ruth Gemmell has been signed with Hamilton Hodell, Talent Agency, London, England, United Kingdom.
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
55 kg or 121 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Ruth Gemmell has dated –
- Ray Stevenson (1995-2005) – She met Northern Irish actor and stage artist Ray Stevenson in 1995 while working on the television crime drama series Band of Gold. They eventually started going out and then got married in Westminster, London, in 1997. The duo divorced in 2005.
Race / Ethnicity
She has done endorsement work for –
- Tiscali Broadband (with Daniel Hill) (TV Commercial) (2006)
- Boots No 7 Day Cream (TV Commercial) (2010)
Ruth Gemmell Facts
- She was raised in County Durham, England.
- Her parents divorced when she was quite young and she then lived with her mother in Darlington, after moving from Barnard Castle.
- Ruth Gemmell later shifted to London, where she lived with her father and pursued her passion for acting.
- In 1996, she appeared as Detective Constable Kerry Cox, a junior trainee detective who had an affair with Tom Adams, in Silent Witness, a BBC crime drama series.
- She played the recurring role of Jen Dugdale, Michael’s wife, in the Channel 4 black comedy-conspiracy thriller drama series, Utopia, from 2013 to 2014.
- Between 2015 and 2016, Ruth Gemmell brought to life the character of Sarah Collingborne, in Home Fires, a period television drama about the life of Women’s Institute members on the Home Front during the Second World War.
- In 2020, she was cast as a series regular playing the role of Lady Violet Bridgerton, the children’s widowed mother, in the American streaming television period drama series, Bridgerton. Her co-stars included Regé-Jean Page, Lorraine Ashbourne, Jonathan Bailey, Sabrina Bartlett, Harriet Cains, Bessie Carter, Nicola Coughlan, Phoebe Dynevor, Ruby Barker, and others.
- As a theatre artist, Ruth Gemmell has been a part of productions such as A Tale of Two Cities, King Lear, Macbeth, The Turn of the Screw, The Importance of Being Earnest, Death and the Maiden, Othello, Nabokov’s Gloves, The Second Mrs Tanqueray, and An Ideal Husband.
Featured Image by Isle of Wight Radio / YouTube / CC BY-SA 3.0