|Sabyasachi Mukherjee Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||February 23, 1974|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Sabyasachi Mukherjee is an Indian fashion designer and representative of India’s global fashion appeal. He is renowned for his well established eponymous brand that features designs which are believed to be made around the personality of the clients making them more alluring. Sabyasachi’s designs have been praised by several top editorials and magazines such as Forbes, NY Times, and Vogue. He has also designed several costumes for Bollywood movies such as English Vinglish (2012), Raavan (2010), and Baabul (2006). His designs have caught the eyes of many acclaimed international personalities as well.
Kolkata, West Bengal, India
Kolkata, West Bengal, India
Sabyasachi completed his schooling from Sri Aurobindo Vidyamandir in Chandannagar. He then went to attain a degree at St. Xavier’s College, Calcutta.
In 1999, he graduated from the National Institute of Fashion Technology.
Sabyasachi also went to London to intern under the guidance of British textile designer, Georgina von Etzdorf.
- Father – Shukumar Mukherjee
- Mother – Sandhya Mukherjee (She worked at Government Art College.)
- Siblings – Shingini Mukherjee “Payal” (Manager)
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
67 kg or 147.5 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Bengali descent.
- Oval face shape
- Salt & pepper beard
Best Known For
- Being an internationally acclaimed fashion designer
- Having designed apparels for some of the biggest names in Indian cinema such as Anushka Sharma, Vidya Balan, Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, and Deepika Padukone
- Winning many awards including the Femina British Council Award for the most outstanding young designer at the Designer of India Award in 2001
Sabyasachi Mukherjee Favorite Things
- Artists – Amrita Sher-Gil, Paul Gauguin, Egon Schiele
Source – AD
Sabyasachi Mukherjee Facts
- Sabyasachi grew up in a middle-class Bengali family in Kolkata.
- Growing up, he looked up to his father as a mentor and was inspired by his mother’s artistic work.
- Sabyasachi’s father grew up as a refugee child in Bangladesh.
- When he was 15 years old, his father Shukumar found it difficult to support the family as he had lost his job.
- The brand “Sabyasachi” is managed by his sister, Shingini “Payal”.
- In order to honor their mother’s artistic skills, he and his younger sister, Shingini Mukherjee, started the Sabyasachi Art Foundation.
- Before he started out as a designer, he wanted to pursue a career in the field of medicine.
- His passion was fuelled after he saw the graceful patterns of designer Rohit Khosla.
- Sabyasachi’s parents wanted their son to become an engineer.
- He was in class 12 when he designed his first apparel, a sari.
- In order to buy the admission form to apply at the National Institute of Fashion Technology, Sabyasachi sold his books.
- After he graduated from NIFT, he started off a workshop with a crew of 3 people.
- He has also made a lehenga out of an “antique jamawar shawl” that amounted to an astonishing price of INR. 24 lakhs.
- He is considered to be one of the first designers to have used Indian textiles in graceful contrast with modern silhouettes.
- Sabyasachi made his debut as a costume designer for Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s movie, Black (2005).
- In 2005, the Oxford University, London wanted him to showcase his designs during their annual black tie charity dinner fashion show.
- In 2006, Sabyasachi’s brand went worldwide after he featured his debut Spring /Summer collection’07 at the New York Fashion Week.
- In 2009, he founded his debut flagship store in Kolkata.
- He designed Rani Mukerji‘s wedding dress just within 3 hours.
- The people of Kolkata still know him as Rani Mukerji’s “tailor”.
- He lives in a 1 bedroom apartment in Kolkata.
- Sabyasachi is also one of the Associate Designer Members of the Fashion Design Council of India.
- He has designed apparels for many international clients like the American actresses Renée Zellweger and Reese Witherspoon.
- In 2017, he started a jewelry line comprising of Fine Jewelry, Heritage Jewelry, and Men’s Jewelry which he featured on Instagram for the first time.
- Sabyasachi also shares a profound passion for food which he wants to incorporate into a book. He also wants to host his own food show.
- In the past, an Instagram account was created titled Diet Sabya with the clear intent of pinpointing and publicly shaming fashion designs who copy the designs of other designers.
- If he could own a heritage building, it would probably be the “house of Rabindranath Tagore”.
- The flea-market that he enjoys going to the most is the “Janpath market” in New Delhi.
- In 2018, Sabyasachi partnered with L’Oreal Paris to launch his very first beauty collection. The makeup line was dubbed L’Oréal Paris x Sabyasachi.
- Visit his official website @ sabyasachi.com.
- Follow Sabyasachi on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / bollywoodhungama.com / CC BY 3.0