Samantha Jane Morton
Spitalfields area of London
She went to West Bridgford Comprehensive School, Nottingham.
Morton, then went to Clarendon College of Performing Arts in 1991, but she left it for personal reasons.
Samantha completed her graduation in drama from the Theatre School at DePaul University in 1997.
She received an honorary degree of Doctor of Letters (DLitt) from Nottingham Trent University on 20 July, 2011.
Actress, director, screenwriter and executive producer
- Father – Peter Morton
- Mother – Pamela Freebury (Factory Worker)
- Siblings – Beothe Marcus (Brother, born 1971) (Royal Marine), Penny (Sister, born 1972) (Works with children with learning disabilities). Apart from that, she has 6 half-siblings from her parents’ relationships.
- Others – Daniel Morton (Cousin) (Actor)
Samantha Morton is signed with talent agencies –
- Conway Van Gelder Grant Ltd.
- Principato Young Entertainment
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
61.2 kg or 135 pounds
Boyfriend / Spouse
Samantha Morton dated –
- Charlie Creed-Miles (1999-2000) – Samantha Morton and Charlie Creed-Miles (actor and musician) worked together in a movie The Last Yellow (1999) and hence started dating in 1999 itself and got married even. They have a biological daughter together, named Esme (born – February 5, 2000). Their relationship ended within a year after they split in 2000.
- Harry Holm (2005-Present) – After her separation with Charlie, Samantha started dating filmmaker Harry Holm, son of Sir Ian Holm (English actor) after meeting him during the filming of the music video for the band “The Vitamins,” which Harry was directing. The couple is engaged since 2006 and has two children. The first one named, Edie (daughter) was born on January 4, 2008, and their second daughter was born in 2012.
Race / Ethnicity
She is religious.
She believes in Christian faith. (via Guardian)
Her voluptuous body
37-27-36 in or 94-68.5-91.5 cm
10 (US) or 42 (EU) or 14 (UK)
Her shoe is speculated to be of size 8 (US).
Best Known For
Her acclaimed roles in movies like Under the Skin (1997), Sweet and Lowdown (1999), In America (2003) and television drama film Longford (2006).
Samantha Morton made her debut via TV film Emma (1996) for her role as Harriet Smith.
Next, she appeared in an Irish film This Is the Sea for her role as Hazel Stokes.
First TV Show
Initially, when Samantha was 13, she appeared in miniature roles in Soldier Soldier and Boon.
She then appeared on television in ITV’s crime drama series Crackers in 1994 as murder victim Joanne Barnes in just 3 episodes for a guest appearance.
Though she appeared in smaller roles prior to appearing in Band of Gold. But, her role as Naomi Tracey Richardson in ITV’s another drama series Band of Gold from 1995 to 1996 could be considered as her first breakthrough on TV.
Samantha exercises under the supervision of Kathryn Freeland of Absolute Bootcamp London.
Though she is not strict to rigorous workouts. She follows fat burning cardio, strength and toning exercises, and does leg and back extensions 4-5 times in a week and follows an organic diet.
She has not endorsed any of the brands.
Samantha Morton Favorite Things
- Book – Divided Kingdom (By Rupert Thomson)
- Person, She Admires – Michael Fassbender (German-Irish actor and producer)
- Word – Pili-pala (Welsh word, meaning butterfly)
Source – Guardian
Samantha Morton Facts
- Samantha knows little bit Welsh. She has tried to learn it in the past.
- At the age of 3, she relocated with her father (after her parents’ separation) and lived with him until she was 8. After that, she spent 9 years in foster care and children’s homes.
- She has eight siblings in total.
- In an interview, she revealed that she faced sexual abuse while in foster care.
- Samantha moved to London at the age of 16.
- She applied at various drama schools after relocating to London but got no positive response.
- When Morton was at children’s home in Nottingham (at the age of 14), she was accused of threatening to kill a fellow girl and was sentenced to serve 18 weeks in an attendance center.
- She has also stated that while in children’s home, she was not allowed to go to her parents home.
- In the past, Samantha has turned down a couple of roles in the movies like in Girl, Interrupted (1999) as Lisa, Hamlet (2000) for the role of Ophelia, Iris (2011) for the title role, etc.
- She also remained homeless for a year (aged 13-14) and used to sleep in bus shelters and at friends’ houses.
- She dropped out of the school at the age of 13 (in 1991) and attended Central Junior Television Workshop. Subsequently, she fetched some of the minor roles in various TV series.
- If she weren’t an actress, then she would have been into social works or maybe politics.
- Her directorial debut The Unloved (British television drama, 2009) was based on her experiences in foster care.
- Samantha turned down the offer to play Ophelia in Hamlet to work in Woody Allen’s Sweet and Lowdown (1999).
- She would want The Birdie Song to be played at her funeral.
- She was addicted to drugs at the age of 14.
- She once had a severe stroke in early 2007.
- Samantha has appeared in music videos – U2’s Electrical Storm (2002), The Horrors’ Sheena is a Parasite (2006) and The Killers’ Shadowplay (2007).
- Before working with Woody Allen in Sweet and Lowdown, she never saw any of Woody Allen’s movies.
- Connect with Samantha on Twitter.