|Shoojit Sircar Quick Info
|5 ft 7 in
|Salt and Pepper
Shoojit Sircar is an Indian director, writer, and producer who has been a recipient of various accolades, including at least 2 National Film Awards and a Filmfare Award. Over the years, he has worked on a number of movies such as Vicky Donor, Pink, Sardar Udham, Piku, Yahaan, Aparajita Tumi, October, Madras Cafe, Open Tee Bioscope, Running Shaadi, and Gulabo Sitabo.
He was born c. 1967.
Barrackpore, Kolkata, West Bengal, India
Kolkata, West Bengal, India
Shoojit Sircar studied at Kendriya Vidyalaya Barrackpore Airforce and completed his schooling in 1985. Then, he attended Shaheed Bhagat Singh College at the University of Delhi and graduated with a Bachelor of Commerce degree.
Director, Writer, Producer
- Father – He was an Indian Air Force personnel.
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
72 kg or 158.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Shoojit Sircar has dated –
- Jhuma Sircar – He is married to Jhuma Sircar and they have 2 daughters – Koyna Sircar and Anannya Sircar.
Race / Ethnicity
Shoojit Sircar is of Bengali descent.
Salt and Pepper
Sports a beard
Shoojit Sircar Facts
- He got inclined towards pursuing a career in films after attending the International Film Festival of India in Delhi.
- The 2 films that inspired Shoojit Sircar to start a career in cinema are the 1987 American documentary film Dear America: Letters Home from Vietnam and Satyajit Ray’s 1955 Bengali-language drama film Pather Panchali.
- He formed a theatre group named “Act One” in the early 1990s and its troupe members included actors like Manoj Bajpayee, Piyush Mishra, and Ashish Vidyarthi.
- Both his parents passed away in 2004. His father died due to cancer and his mother from a brain stroke.
- Shoojit Sircar directed the 2012 Hindi-language romantic comedy film Vicky Donor, starring Ayushmann Khurrana and Yami Gautam. The film received the National Film Award for “Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment” at the 60th National Film Awards and Sircar won the Stardust Award for “Best Director”. He was also nominated for a Filmfare Award in the “Best Director” category.
- His home production, the 2016 Hindi-language legal thriller film Pink, won the National Film Award for “Best Film on Social Issues”. It starred Taapsee Pannu, Kirti Kulhari, Andrea Tariang, Amitabh Bachchan, Angad Bedi, Tushar Pandey, Piyush Mishra, and Dhritiman Chatterjee.
- Shoojit Sircar was once employed as an accountant at Le Meridien hotel in Delhi. He has also worked in the advertising industry.
- A football enthusiast, he is part of the All Stars Football Club (a celebrity football club that raises money for charity).
- He is the co-founder of the film production company Rising Sun Films.
- In 2021, Shoojit Sircar directed the Hindi-language biographical historical drama film Sardar Udham. It starred Vicky Kaushal in the titular role and Forbes named it 2021’s “Best Hindi film with a social message”. Sircar was also nominated for a Filmfare Award for “Best Director”.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / bollywoodhungama.com / CC BY 3.0