|Vicky Kaushal Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||May 16, 1988|
Vicky Kaushal is an Indian actor who has risen to prominence in the last few years with his stellar performances in films like Masaan (2015), Uri: The Surgical Strike (2019), and Raazi (2018). He won a National Award for Uri: The Surgical Strike in 2019 and has also received several awards such as “Best Male Debut” for Masaan and “Best Supporting Actor” for the Sanjay Dutt biopic Sanju (2018). His physical transformation in Uri helped cement his place in Bollywood as one of the best actors from the younger generation. Though not considered conventionally handsome, Vicky’s rugged looks and charming smile has earned him a huge female following. He has more than 200k followers on Facebook, over 300k followers on Twitter, and more than 4 million followers on Instagram.
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Vicky studied at the Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Technology in Mumbai and graduated with an Engineering degree in Electronics and Telecommunications in 2009.
He also studied acting at the renowned Kishore Namit Kapoor Acting Institute in Mumbai.
- Father – Sham Kaushal (Stuntman, Action Director)
- Mother – Veena Kaushal (Homemaker)
- Siblings – Sunny Kaushal (Younger Brother) (Actor)
Vicky is represented by the Mumbai-based talent management company, Matrix IEC Pvt Ltd.
81 kg or 178.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Vicky Kaushal has dated –
- Harleen Sethi (2018-2019) – Vicky was in a relationship with up-coming actress Harleen Sethi in 2018. According to Vicky, the two met at their common friend Amritpal Singh Bindra’s party and instantly hit it off. But, after the success of his film Uri in 2019, rumors began swirling that Vicky and Harleen had called it quits. It was confirmed a few months later in March when the actress unfollowed Kaushal on Instagram. There were also speculations that Vicky had been unfaithful in the relationship which led to their break-up.
- Katrina Kaif (2019-Present) – After splitting up with Harleen, Vicky’s name was linked with actress Katrina Kaif in May 2019. It was alleged that Kaif was the reason that caused Vicky’s break-up. Even in 2021, the dating rumors were still spreading.
- Bhumi Pednekar (2019) – Another actress that Vicky got linked with post his break-up was co-star Bhumi Pednekar. Allegedly, the two became close while shooting the horror film Bhoot Part One – The Haunted Ship, which is under Karan Johar‘s film banner.
- Malavika Mohanan (2019) – By June 2019, Vicky was rumored to be getting serious with actress Malavika Mohanan. Vicky, with his brother Sunny in tow, appeared on her Instagram story and was seen enjoying dinner with her family. Malavika, who has appeared in the 2017 film Beyond the Clouds, is said to be childhood friends with the hunky actor.
Race / Ethnicity
Vicky Kaushal has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- McDowell’s Platinum
- Aegon Life
- Wild Stone Code Perfume
- Federal Bank
- Aasra Suicide Prevention
- United Colors of Benetton
Best Known For
Portraying several critically-acclaimed characters such as Deepak Kumar in Masaan (2015), Iqbal Syed in Raazi (2018), Kamlesh Kanhaiyalal Kapasi in Sanju (2018), and Major Vihaan Singh Shergill in Uri: The Surgical Strike (2019)
Vicky made his theatrical film debut in 2012 as a younger version of the protagonist Omi Khurana in the comedy film Luv Shuv Tey Chicken Khurana.
First TV Show
Vicky’s first TV show appearance was on the comedy talk-show The Kapil Sharma Show with the cast of his film Raman Raghav 2.0 in 2016.
Vicky gained 15 kgs of muscle to play an army officer in the military action film Uri: The Surgical Strike. According to his fitness trainer Rakesh Udiyar, his transformation was a two-pronged process and included a highly-regimented workout routine and closely supervised diet plan. As Vicky has an ectomorphic body type, characterized by a fast metabolism and difficulty in gaining weight, his trainer prepared his diet plan to include a lot of carbs and proteins.
His diet plan was constructed in 3 different phases to achieve the desired body –
- First Phase – The actor was put on a 6-meal-a-day plan, which meant he had to eat regularly at an interval of 3 hours. His calorie consumption was set to 2500, with more focus on carbohydrates and proteins, and carbs like oats and brown rice were included only in the first 3 meals of the day. Protein-rich foods like chicken (200 grams), fish, mutton, and eggs (8 eggs) became his staple diet in the first phase. He also supplemented it with vegetables, smoothies, and juices.
- Second Phase – In order to gain muscle, and not fat, Vicky was put on a ketogenic diet. Before working out, he would drink an 800-calorie smoothie of bananas, yogurt, and berries, twice a day, to rid his body of water retention from the earlier phase. Vicky consumed 3400 Calories daily and at the end of his keto diet, had put on a significant amount of weight.
- Third Phase – In the last phase, his diet was switched back to include lots of carbs and proteins. His daily consumption was set to 2000 calories.
In preparation for his role, Vicky received boot-camp training for 2 months following which, he trained in mixed martial arts and military training for 5 months each. He would start his day at 6:30 am and hit the gym for 2 hours doing weight lifting exercises. It would be followed by an hour-long session in mixed martial arts in the afternoon. He would end his days by doing military training for 3 hours from 7 pm to 10 pm under a Sikh regiment at the Cuffe Parade in Mumbai. To make his muscles look more prominent, Vicky underwent the ‘Time Under Tension’ training in which he would lift heavy weights with 8 to 12 repetitions in each set to cause his muscles to grow faster (known as hypertrophy).
Vicky Kaushal Favorite Things
- Actors – Hrithik Roshan, Nawazuddin Siddiqui
- TV Shows – Game of Thrones, Prison Break
- Film Directors – Karan Johar, Anurag Kashyap
- Bollywood Films – Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai (2000), Black Friday (2004), Gangs of Wasseypur (2012), Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar (1992), Mughal-e-Azam (1960)
- Hollywood Film – 12 Angry Men (1957)
- Cuisine – Chinese
- Food – Pani Puri, Jalebi-Rabri, Aloo Paratha, Burger, Pizza
- Film By Anurag Kashyap – Black Friday (2004)
- Meal On The Film Set – Paratha with egg bhurji for breakfast
- Actress – Alia Bhatt
Vicky Kaushal Facts
- He grew up in an impoverished household and aspired to have a stable career after completing his studies. He landed a job in an IT company but decided to tear the offer letter in order to follow his true passion, acting.
- His family roots are in Hoshiarpur in Punjab.
- Some of his hobbies are reading, traveling, gymming, and dancing.
- Before finding success as an actor, he assisted director Anurag Kashyap on his 2012 crime-drama film, Gangs of Wasseypur.
- After starring in back-to-back hit films in 2018, Vicky hiked up his fees to Rs. 3 crores per film.
- In 2018, Kaushal was enlisted in the ’30 Under 30′ list by Forbes India.
- Vicky is a skilled dancer.
- He has hydrophobia and as such, does not know swimming.
- He and his brother Sunny were both asked to audition for the sports film Gold (2018) starring Akshay Kumar. However, as Vicky was busy with the shoot of Sanju, only Sunny ended up auditioning and bagged the role of hockey player Himmat Singh.
- His first leading role was in the hugely-successful film Uri: The Surgical Strike. As of 2019, the film became the 10th highest-grossing film ever in terms of domestic collections.
- Vicky met with an accident on the set of the horror film Bhoot – Part One: The Haunted Ship. Unfortunately, he fractured his cheekbone while shooting an action sequence and had to get 13 stitches.
- He auditioned for the role of Deepika Padukone‘s husband, Raja Rawal Ratan Singh, in the period drama Padmaavat (2018). However, it was reported that Vicky got rejected in favor of a well-known actor like Shahid Kapoor on the insistence of Deepika, who was not comfortable shooting intimate scenes with a newcomer.
- In August 2019, Vicky won the National Award for ‘Best Actor’ for his work in Uri: The Surgical Strike. He shared the award with fellow actor and friend Ayushmann Khurrana, who received the prestigious award for Andhadhun (2018).
- In April 2021, it was revealed that he had been tested positive for COVID-19.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0