|Shweta Basu Prasad Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3½ in|
|Date of Birth||January 11, 1991|
Shweta Basu Prasad is an Indian actress who began her career at a very early age, earning herself an acclaimed place in the Hindi, Bengali, Telugu, and Tamil language cinema. She has appeared in numerous films including Iqbal (2005), Vaah! Life Ho Toh Aisi! (2005), Kotha Bangaru Lokam (2008), Ek Nadir Galpo: Tale of a River (2008), Ride (2009), Raa Raa (2011), Nuvvekkadunte Nenakkadunta (2012), Chandhamama (2013), and Badrinath Ki Dulhania (2017).
Besides film, she is also noted for her TV series portrayal of Vanshita in Kutumb (2000-2003), Shruti Agarwal in Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii (2001-2003), Nandini in Chandra Nandini (2016-2017), and as Aishwarya in GangStars (2018). She has also amassed a huge fan base with more than 350k followers on Instagram and more than 50k followers on Twitter.
Shweta Basu Prasad
Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Shweta attended the R. N. Podar High School, Santacruz, Mumbai, where she graduated as a student of commerce. Later, she went on to attain a degree in journalism and mass communication.
Actress, Producer, Director
- Father – Anuj Prasad
- Mother – Sarmishta Basu Prasad (Musician, Writer)
- Siblings – Rahul Prasad (Brother)
5 ft 3½ in or 161 cm
54 kg or 119 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Shweta has dated –
- Rohit Mittal – It is said that Shweta and filmmaker Rohit Mittal met one another through director Anurag Kashyap. She had been working at Phantom Films as a script consultant while Rohit was training under the careful guidance of Anurag. The couple instantly clicked and became serious for another. Later, on December 13, 2018, the young and full-of-life duo finally tied the knot.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Bengali heritage.
- She has a tattoo of Lord Ganesha on her back and a second on her right forearm.
- Beauty spot under her nose
Best Known For
- Being cast as Khadija in Iqbal (2005), Shweta in Vaah! Life Ho Toh Aisi! (2005), Swapna in Kotha Bangaru Lokam (2008), Anu in Ek Nadir Galpo: Tale of a River (2008), Rani in Ride (2009), Gayathri in Raa Raa (2011), Haritha in Nuvvekkadunte Nenakkadunta (2012), Mary in Chandhamama (2013), and Urmila Shukla Bansal in Badrinath Ki Dulhania (2017)
- Her TV series roles such as Vanshita in Kutumb (2000-2003), Shruti Agarwal in Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii (2001-2003), Nandini in Chandra Nandini (2016-2017), and as Aishwarya in GangStars (2018)
- Receiving various awards including a National Film Award, IIFA Award, Star Screen Award, Karachi International Film Festival Award, and a Filmfare Award
She made her debut Telugu theatrical film appearance as Swapna in Kotha Bangaru Lokam in 2008. She worked along with the likes of actors likes of Varun Sandesh, Prakash Raj, Jaya Sudha, and Brahmanandam.
She made her debut Tamil theatrical film appearance as Gayathri in Raa Raa in 2011. The cast also included actor Udhaya and Adithya Menon.
First TV Show
She made her debut TV show appearance as Shruti Agarwal in Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii in 2001.
In the past, Shweta had put on a lot of weight. However, by the age of 22, she stated that she had lost all her fat as a result of maturity and a build-up in metabolism rate.
Nevertheless, she loves eating rice and other food as well. Shweta also revealed in an interview that she is not much of a fitness freak and prefers to go jogging outdoors in the morning. Besides that, she also strongly believes in practicing yoga and attending kickboxing lessons. According to her, it helps keep herself fit physically and mentally. She also believes that it is good for her skin, digestion, and has helped improve her body posture.
In 2018, Shweta had also started weight training and would go swimming as well as played badminton in her free time.
As for her diet, she had switched to only consuming vegetarian food in the past. Nevertheless, she is a complete foodie. She also revealed her diet stating, she begins her day with a smoothie. Her lunch normally consists of a “veg subzi with bajra roti/brown rice, daal, and salad” and for supper, she prefers to eat something light such as a “salad which includes paneer or tofu.”
Besides that, Shweta also consumes plenty of yogurts mixed with either chia seeds, honey, flax seeds, and dry fruits, along with a fresh salad.
In order to maintain her dusky beautiful skin, she drinks plenty of water and coconut water as well as fruit and vegetable juices.
Shweta Basu Prasad Favorite Things
- Yoga Asanas – Surya namaskar, Chakrasana, Dandasana, Cobra pose, Triangle pose
Source – The Health Site
In 2014, Shweta was reported to have been caught in a luxury hotel with a group of businessmen in Hyderabad, in an alleged prostitution racket. However, she had accused the media of falsely associating her to a statement that she did not make. It was also said that Shweta had told the media that people from the industry encouraged her to turn to prostitution as she was facing financial issues at the time.
However, in November 2014, after spending 60 days in a rescue home, Shweta told DNA, that the news had been publicized while she was in care. She also stated “No I never made that statement. I was in custody. I wasn’t allowed to speak to my mother and father, then how would I speak to the media? Whoever made up that statement damaged my reputation, these are outrageous lies that I never uttered.”
She also stated that it was just her bad luck that she had been in Hyderabad for an award function and missed her morning flight. Then, she added that her air ticket and stay were done by the organizers of the awards function.
Shweta Basu Prasad Facts
- She spent the first 5 years of her life in Jamshedpur and then shifted to Mumbai where she grew up.
- She had initially started off in television and later branched off to work in the film industry.
- Her parents come from 2 different parts of India as Shweta’s mother Sarmistha who is a musician and writer is from West Bengal and father Anuj who holds a diploma in directing and acting is from Bihar. The couple got married sometime in 1989 and had Shweta in 1991.
- Shweta’s grandfather had previously worked as the chief operating officer for the Intelligence Bureau in New Delhi. Sadly, he passed away while she was kept in rescue home after being allegedly involved in a scandal.
- Prior to beginning her acting career, Shweta worked with the Indian Express and wrote columns for them as she is a journalist by profession.
- Her mother middle name “Basu” is Shweta’s maiden screen name.
- She was 11 years old when she was featured in a double role in the Hindi film Makdee in 2002. Shweta even received the National Film Award for “Best Child Artist”.
- From 2012 to 2016, Shweta had begun creating a documentary on Indian Classical Music which, featured various well-known artists like A. R. Rahman, Pandit Shiv Kumar Sharma, Pandit Hari Prasad Chaurasia, Vishal Bhardwaj, Amit Trivedi, Ustad Amjad Ali Khan, and Shubha Mudgal. After the completion of it, the documentary was titled Roots and was made available on Netflix. As for Shweta, she herself is a sitar player and is very passionate about classical music.
- She enjoys spending her leisure time cooking, reading, painting, writing, and going on long drives.
- In the past, Shweta was offered Raj Kumar Santoshi’s Halla Bol (2008) and Madhur Bhandarkar‘s Traffic Signal (2007). However, she had turned down the role in order to complete her studies.
- She has 3 tattoos in total, one on her forearm and another on her back. The tattoo on her back is of Lord Ganesha.
- Shweta does not prefer to carry her phone around with her wherever she goes as she finds it to be quite a distraction.
- The 5 essential things that she carries in her handbag is her phone, a good lip gloss, a hand sanitizer, a book, and a great perfume.
- Shweta is an avid book reader and reads up to 20 books a year.
- From the age of 18 to 20, Shweta enjoyed eating pizzas a lot.
- With time, she has worked with various well-known stars such as actor Uday Kiran, Harish Kalyan, Amitabh Bachchan, Anil Kapoor, Sunil Shetty, Mallika Sherawat, Arjun Rampal, Varun Dhawan, and Alia Bhatt.
- Follow her on Instagram and Twitter.
Featured Image By Shweta Basu Prasad / Instagram