|Sudheer Varma Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||October 6, 1979|
Sudheer Varma is an Indian film director and screenwriter who has written and directed the Telugu-language films Swamy Ra Ra (2013), Dohchay (2015), Keshava (2017), and Ranarangam (2019). He wrote the script for the 2018 Telugu-language campus romantic comedy film titled Kirrak Party as well and produced Super Over, a Telugu-language crime thriller film that premiered in January 2021 on aha, an Indian subscription video-on-demand and over-the-top streaming service which offers Telugu and Tamil-language content. Sudheer has also directed the 2022 Telugu-language action comedy film titled Saakini Daakini and the 2023 Telugu-language psychological action thriller film titled Ravanasura.
Bhimavaram, West Godavari, Andhra Pradesh, India
Hyderabad, Telangana, India
Although Sudheer did most of his schooling in Visakhapatnam, the largest and most populous city in the southern Indian state of Andhra Pradesh, he completed his high school graduation from an institution in Kakinada, another city in Andhra Pradesh. He later earned an engineering degree, majoring in electronics & communication.
Film Director, Screenwriter
- Father – Santosh Varma
- Mother – Anitha Varma
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
75 kg or 165.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Sudheer has dated –
- Radha Kumari – Through his long-term marriage to Radha Kumari, Sudheer has 2 children – a daughter named Sahasra Varma and a son named Saket Varma.
Race / Ethnicity
- Mildly stocky frame
- Side-parted, wavy hair
- Cheerful smile
- Sports a thick beard
Sudheer Varma Facts
- After completing his engineering degree, Sudheer moved to Hyderabad and worked as an assistant director in more than 5 films before making his directorial debut with the Telugu-language crime comedy film titled Swamy Ra Ra (2013). It became a sleeper hit (a film/TV series/music video/video game that was unsuccessful upon its release but gained favor with the audience later on) at the box office.
- In a May 2017 interview, he revealed that he was a big fan of the work of celebrated filmmakers Quentin Tarantino, Christopher Nolan, Steven Spielberg, and Martin Scorsese, and often learned by watching their movies. Sudheer also stated that whenever working on a new film or script, he would watch a lot of foreign films from the same genre and adapt interesting scenes/ideas/themes to his storyline in a way that would resonate with the Indian audience.
- In another interview, he stated that he was not concerned if such actions led to him being labeled a ‘copycat’. In fact, he has often mentioned the names of the directors (from whom he had ‘stolen’ certain scenes) in the end credits of his films, as a tribute to their work. This was particularly notable in Sudheer’s 3rd directorial venture – Keshava, a 2017 action thriller film that was supposedly ‘inspired’ by several films.
- In January 2023, a budding actor working in the Telugu film industry, also named Sudheer Varma, committed suicide. In the initial hours after his tragic demise, there was a lot of confusion on social media with many netizens assuming that it was the noted director who had passed away. As more news started filtering in, the rumors died down. The deceased actor was about 10 years younger than the subject of this article.
Featured Image by Sudheer Varma / Instagram