Susan Abigail Tomalin
Jackson Heights, Queens, New York, US
Susan attended Edison High School, New Jersey, United States in 1964.
She completed her Bachelor’s degree in Drama in 1968 from The Catholic University of America, Washington District of Columbia, United States.
Susan Sarandon is signed with United Talent Agency.
- Father – Phillip Leslie Tomalin (Advertising Executive, Television Producer, and One-Time Nightclub Singer)
- Mother – Lenora Marie (nee Criscione)
- Siblings – Phillip Jr. (Brother)
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
139 pounds or 63 kg
Boyfriend / Spouse
Susan Sarandon dated –
- John Leone (1961-1962) – Susan Sarandon dated the writer and director John Leone between 1961-1962.
- Tom Noonan (1963) – Susan had an encounter with the American actor, director and screenwriter Tom Noonan in 1963. The duo separated after a couple of months.
- Chris Sarandon (1964-1979) – While studying drama at the Catholic University of America, Susan met Chris Sarandon. They commenced dating in 1964 and got married after three years of courtship on September 16, 1967. Their wedding rites were done by the head of their department at the university. In 1968, Chris brought Susan along on an audition that eventually fetched Susan her big break. The couple got a divorce in September 1979, but Susan retained the surname Sarandon as her stage name.
- Louis Malle (1978-1980) – Susan met this French director when he directed her in Pretty baby (1978). The two separated after two years in 1980.
- David Bowie (1982) – Susan co-starred with this English singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist and record producer in the movie The Hunger (1983). They dated in early 1982 and separated after a very short period of time.
- Franco Amurri (1983-1985) – Susan worked in American comedy-drama Tempest in 1982. On the sets of this film, she met the Italian film director, producer, and screenwriter Franco Amurri. They both eventually commenced dating in 1983 and got separated in 1985 after two years. They have a daughter Eva Amurri (born on March 15, 1985).
- Sean Penn (1984) – It was alleged that Susan had an affair with actor Sean Penn in 1984.
- Tim Robbins (1987-2009) – This American actor, director, producer, screenwriter, musician and activist, co-starred with Susan in American romantic comedy sports film Bull Durham (1988). The couple started dating soon after meeting on the sets of the movie in 1987. They together hosted the 1993 Academy Awards and finally got engaged in August 2005. Susan is 12 years older than Tim Robbins. Their relationship ended in 2009 and they have two sons, Jack Henry (born on May 15, 1989) and Miles Robbins (born on May 4, 1992).
- Jonathan Bricklin (2010-Present) – Susan and the son of American automobile entrepreneur, met on a road trip to Chile in early 2010. Jonathan is 31 years younger to Susan. They are currently seeing each other and together operate the Spin Ping-Pong Lounges.
Race / Ethnicity
She bears English, Irish, Welsh and Italian ancestry.
38-27-36 in or 96.5-68.5-91.5 cm
10 (US) or 42 (EU)
7.5 (US) or 38 (EU)
TV commercials – Magic Lady Panty Hose (1971), YMCA/TWCA (2002), Project Liberty (2002), WE (Women’s Entertainment) network (2003), Revlon Age Defying Makeup, The One Campaign (2005), Lean Cuisine’s Dinnertime Selects frozen foods line (voice) (2006), Stouffer’s (voice) (2006), America’s Dairy Producers’ Got Milk promotional campaign (2011), Tylenol Pain Reliever (voice; September 2013- October 2013) and for Heifer.org (2013).
Print ads – Wall Street Journal (2007) and America’s Dairy producers’ Got Milk milk mustache promotional campaign (2011).
Susan was born a Roman Catholic.
She has her own spiritual belief system that is largely unbounded by the religious institutionalization.
Best Known For
Susan is notable for her roles in Atlantic City (1980), Thelma & Louise (1991), The Client (1994) for which she won the BAFTA Award, Dead Man Walking (1995) for which she bagged an Academy Award, Igby Goes Down & Moonlight Mile (2002) and many other works.
Susan made her big screen debut in 1970 with the drama film Joe for her role as Melissa Compton.
First TV Show
Her first appearance on television was in the American daytime drama A World Apart on ABC network (1970-1971), for her role as Patrice Kahlman.
Susan still defies her growing age with her perfectly balanced looks that she maintains very well. She states that she manages to do so by watching out on what she eats and also takes food in moderation.
She starts her day with 30 minutes on the treadmill. Her fitness routine is diversified and she does routine normal exercises. Susan recently took up boxing, stating that it is a fun and good way to work out, as well.
Susan Sarandon Favorite Things
- Medication – Marijuana
- Drink – Tequila
Source – NYMag
Susan Sarandon Facts
- In 2011, Susan Sarandon was honored for her Outstanding Contribution to World Cinema at the Shanghai International Film Festival.
- She was appointed as UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador in 1999 and received the Action against Hunger Humanitarian Award in 2006.
- During high school, she was a cheerleader.
- Susan was invited at the 44th International Film Festival of India in 2013 to inaugurate it.
- In 2006, Susan, Tim Robbins and her ten relatives traveled to Wales to trace her family’s Welsh genealogy. Their journey was documented in the BBC Wales program, Coming Home Susan Sarandon and also their research and content was featured in the American genealogy documentary series show Who Do You Think You Are.
- Sarandon was arrested during a protest in March 1999 in New York, for disorderly conduct.
- She was chosen as one of the 50 Most Beautiful Women in the World by People’s magazine (USA).
- Susan got a Lifetime Achievement Award at Stockholm International Film Festival in 2009.
- She is a five-time Emmy Award nominee for her television roles.
- Susan keeps her Oscar in the bathroom.
- Her pet dog Penny has also appeared in the movie Bernard and Doris (2006), playing the pet of the character she played.
- Susan received the Ragusani nel mondo prize in 2006. She got the honor for her Italian roots in Ragusa, Italy.
- She got Drama Desk nominations twice for her performances in the plays A Coupla White Chicks Sitting Around Talking and Extremities in 1979 and 1982, respectively.
- Susan was inducted into the New Jersey Hall of Fame in 2010 for her contribution for Arts and Entertainment.
- She has also been awarded a star in Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- She stated in an interview that if she was not an actress, she would have made a career as an astronaut.
- In 2010, she narrated the two-part documentary John Lennon: The New York Years for BBC Radio.
- Susan Sarandon became a grandmother in August 2014 after her daughter Eva gave birth to a baby girl.
- Follow Susan Sarandon on Twitter and Facebook.