|Tamzin Outhwaite Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||November 5, 1970|
Tamzin Outhwaite is an English actress and narrator who is known for her performance as Melanie/Mel Owen in the crime drama romance soap opera, EastEnders. She is also recognized for her roles as Sgt. Jo McDonagh in Red Cap and Victoria Kemp in New Tricks. Apart from these, Tamzin Outhwaite has appeared in a large number of shows and movies such as Men Behaving Badly, Da Ali G Show, Out of Control, When I’m 64, Hustle, Walk Away and I Stumble, Hotel Babylon, Fast Freddie, the Widow and Mei, Law & Order: UK, Silent Witness, Frances Tuesday, Paradox, Agatha Christie’s Marple, Doctor Who, Midsomer Murders, Murdoch Mysteries, and Inside No. 9. She has served as the narrator for a couple of projects which include Crimewatch, Naked Beach, and Meghan Markle: Movies, Marriage & Motherhood. She has also won the National Television Award as well as the British Soap Award for her role in EastEnders. Moreover, Tamzin Outhwaite has also garnered an impressive social media fan base with more than 250k followers on Instagram and more than 250k followers on Twitter.
Tamzin Maria Outhwaite
Ilford, London, England, United Kingdom
London, England, United Kingdom
Tamzin Outhwaite studied at Trinity Catholic High School, Woodford Green in Greater London, England, United Kingdom.
Moreover, during her teen years, she also attended the Stagestruck Theatre Company and during her school years, she went to Sylvia Young Theatre School. Later, she got enrolled at the London Studio Centre and studied dance and drama.
- Father – Colin Frank Outhwaite (b. January 8, 1946) (Worked as a London Taxi driver)
- Mother – Anna (née Santi) Outhwaite (June 17, 1950-April 21, 2018)
- Siblings – Kes Colin (Younger Brother), Jake Andrew Frank Outhwaite (Younger Brother)
- Others – Frank (Paternal Grandfather), Josephine (née Arnold) Outhwaite (Paternal Grandmother), Adelmo Santi (Maternal Great Grandfather), Pietro Santi (Maternal Grandfather), Daniel Baldwin (Cousin) (Producer), Sam Outhwaite (Nephew)
Tamzin Outhwaite is represented by Conway Van Gelder Grant Ltd., Talent Agency, London, England, United Kingdom.
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
56 kg or 123.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Tamzin Outhwaite has dated –
- Adam Woodyatt (1997) – It was rumored that Tamzin Outhwaite and actor Adam Woodyatt, who is known for playing the role of Ian Beale in the BBC soap opera EastEnders, were an item in the year 1997.
- Marty Benson (1999-2000) – Tamzin started going out with Marty Benson in 1999. However, within a very short span, they decided to head separate ways the following year.
- Steve Ellington (2000-2003) – In the year 2000, Outhwaite started dating Steve Ellington. The duo went out for around 3 years before calling it quits in 2003.
- Nigel Harman (2003) – Tamzin Outhwaite had an encounter with British actor Nigel Harman in 2003. Harman is well-known for having been cast as Dennis Rickman in the BBC soap opera EastEnders.
- Jamie Baker (2003-2004) – In December 2003, Tamzin Outhwaite started going out with Jamie Baker. They had a short-term relationship as their romance eventually got dissolved and they separated in March 2004.
- Leo Gregory (2004) – Outhwaite went out with actor Leo Gregory, who is around 8 years younger than her, in 2004.
- Tom Ellis (2005-2014) – Tamzin Outhwaite started dating Welsh actor, voiceover artist, and musician, Tom Ellis, in the year 2005 after they were introduced to one another by Scottish actor and one of Tom Ellis’s close friends, James McAvoy. Ellis is around 8 years younger than Outhwaite and is known for playing the lead role of Lucifer Morningstar in the American fantasy crime drama television series, Lucifer. Soon after they began going out, he proposed to her on her birthday in November 2005. They eventually got married in 2006 and the duo welcomed their first child (Tom Ellis’s 2nd child), a daughter named Florence Elsie Ellis, on June 17, 2008. Then, on August 1, 2012, Tom and Tamzin became parents to their 2nd child, a daughter named Marnie Mae Ellis. Both of their daughters were born via cesarean section. The couple was seen together on a number of occasions and also appeared on the ITV gameshow, All Star Mr & Mrs Christmas Special, on December 25, 2008. After being together for around 8 years, their romance fizzled out and on August 29, 2013, a spokesperson for the duo stated that they have separated. The following month, Tamzin Outhwaite filed for a divorce.
- Tom Child – Tamzin Outhwaite is in a relationship with actor and personal trainer, Tom Child, who is around 21 years younger than her. They have been together for quite a while and Tamzin often shares their loved-up pictures on Instagram while they have also attended several events together.
Race / Ethnicity
Tamzin Outhwaite is of Italian descent on her mother’s side.
- Thin lips
- Deep set eyes
Tamzin Outhwaite has done endorsement work for a variety of brands such as –
- Wrigley’s Doublemint (TV Commercial) (1985)
- Anadin “New Teacher” (TV Commercial) (1995)
- Debenhams (Print ads) (2002)
- Avon Cosmetics (TV Commercial) (2003-2005)
- Belle Color from Garnier (TV Commercial) (2011)
Best Known For
- Having been cast as Melanie/Mel Owen in the crime drama romance soap opera, EastEnders. Her first appearance on the show was aired in October 1998.
- Playing a variety of roles in several shows and movies such as Liz Crane in The Bill (1996), Melanie in Da Ali G Show (2000), Natalie Taylor in Final Demand (2003), Katherine Winterborn in Hustle (2004), Caz in When I’m Sixty-Four (2004), Claire Holmes in Walk Away and I Stumble (2005), Rhoda Bradley in Vital Signs (2006), Jill Waters in Radio Cape Cod (2008), Rose Chamberlain in The Fixer (2008-2009), D.I. Rebecca Flint in Paradox (2009), Miriam Pescatore in Law & Order: UK (2011), Molly in Great Expectations (2012), DCI Sasha Miller /Victoria Kemp in New Tricks (2012-2015), and Samantha Adler in Midsomer Murders (2018)
- Having garnered a huge social media fan base as she has more than 250k followers on Instagram and more than 250k followers on Twitter
Tamzin Outhwaite made her first feature film appearance by playing the role of Sgt. Kelly Anders in the American crime action thriller film, 7 Seconds, in 2005. She starred in the film alongside the American actor, director, film producer, martial artist, and author, Wesley Snipes.
In 2006, Tamzin Outhwaite made her first theatrical film appearance as Lili Taylor in the drama thriller film, Backwaters. She was cast alongside the likes of Nicholas Irons, Jason Flemyng, Sandra Teles, Milind Gunaji, Gulshan Grover, and Andrew MacBean.
First TV Show
Tamzin Outhwaite made her first TV show appearance as the Girl in Pub in an episode, titled Drunk, of the comedy sitcom, Men Behaving Badly, in June 1995.
Tamzin Outhwaite stays fit by leading an active lifestyle and working out whenever she gets time. Usually, she enjoys doing yoga, especially hot yoga, to tone as well as strengthen her body. She also works out at the gym doing weight training and various other exercises.
Tamzin Outhwaite Facts
- During her younger years, she enjoyed playing various sports.
- Tamzin Outhwaite has been a part of various theatre productions which include Grease, They’re Playing Our Song, Carousel, Summer Holiday, Flesh Wound, Breathing Corpses, Baby On Board, Radio Times, How the Other Half Loves, and Oliver!
- She used to work at the Stephen Joseph Theatre before her TV career started unfolding.
- In 2002, she left EastEnders but later returned on the show as the news was confirmed on October 24, 2017.
- Tamzin Outhwaite was also a part of the revival of the play titled Boeing Boeing at the Comedy Theatre.
- BBC TV series titled Who Do You Think You Are? made her the subject of an episode which was aired on August 21, 2014.
- Between 2003 and 2004, Tamzin Outhwaite was cast as Sgt. Jo McDonagh/Jo McDonagh in the TV crime drama series, Red Cap, in which she starred alongside the likes of Douglas Hodge, James Thornton, Gordon Kennedy, Blake Ritson, Raquel Cassidy, and Poppy Miller.
- She played the role of Rebecca Mitchell in the comedy-drama TV show, Hotel Babylon (2006-2007), which starred the likes of Nigel Harman, Anna Wilson-Jones, Dexter Fletcher, Martin Marquez, Michael Obiora, Ray Coulthard, Max Beesley, Danira Gović, Alexandra Moen, Amy Nuttall, and Emma Pierson.
- Tamzin Outhwaite replaced actress Amanda Redman as head of the team in the procedural crime drama series, New Tricks.
- Her credits as a narrator include her part in shows such as Crimewatch, Naked Beach, and Meghan Markle: Movies, Marriage & Motherhood.
- In 1992, she appeared as a dancer in the music video for the song Even Better Than The Real Thing by the Irish rock band, U2.
- Tamzin Outhwaite wrapped up filming for her role as Molly in the film, Great Expectations, when she was 3 months pregnant with her 2nd daughter.
- For her role as Melanie Owen, she was ranked at number #31 in the “100 Greatest EastEnders (1985) Characters of All Time” list.
- On June 3, 1999, Tamzin Outhwaite served as the bridesmaid for her friend and actress, Lucy Alexander, at her wedding to Stewart Castledine.
- In 2017, she performed a couple of songs such as Don’t You Want Me and I Know Him So Well in the British black comedy anthology TV show, Inside No. 9.
- Tamzin Outhwaite won the British Soap Award in the “Sexiest Female” category consecutively in 1999 and 2000 for her role as Mel Owen in the soap opera, EastEnders. She was also honored with a National Television Award in the “Most Popular Newcomer” category for the same role in 1999.
- Her father survived prostate cancer.
- Follow Tamzin Outhwaite on Instagram and Twitter.
Featured Image by Tamzin Outhwaite / Instagram