|apl.de.ap Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||November 28, 1974|
apl.de.ap is a Filipino-American musician, rapper, singer, and record producer who is best known as a founding member of the hip hop group Black Eyed Peas. The group was formed in Los Angeles in 1995 and has released a number of albums and tracks like Behind the Front, My Humps, Monkey Business, Translation, Karma, Masters of the Sun Vol. 1, Bridging the Gap, The Beginning, Fallin’ Up/¿Que Dices?, The E.N.D., Boom Boom Pow, Elephunk, Joints & Jam, The Time (Dirty Bit), Where Is the Love?, Pump It, Shut Up, Missing You, Let’s Get It Started, Hey Mama, Imma Be, Don’t Lie, Don’t Phunk with My Heart, I Gotta Feeling, Meet Me Halfway, Rock That Body, Just Can’t Get Enough, Whenever, Don’t Stop the Party, #Wheresthelove (ft. The World), Be Nice (ft. Snoop Dogg), Explosion (with Anitta), Ritmo (with J Balvin), Vida Loca (with Nicky Jam and Tyga), Hit It (ft. Saweetie and Lele Pons), and Girl like Me (with Shakira). Black Eyed Peas has been one of the best-selling groups of all time as well as it was ranked 12th on Billboard‘s 2000s Decade-End Artist of the Decade Chart and 7th on the Hot 100 Artists of the Decade.
Allan Pineda Lindo
Apl.de.ap (Pronounced as Apple Di App), Apl D, Apple
Angeles, Pampanga, Philippines
Los Angeles, California, United States
Filipino and American
Al.de.ap went to the John Marshall High School in Los Angeles.
Musician, rapper, singer, record producer
- Father – His biological father was a US airman who worked at Clark Air Base in the Philippines. It was while working there that he met Allan’s mother.
- Mother – Cristina Pineda
- Siblings – Arnel (Younger Brother) (Committed suicide), Joven Pineda Deala (Younger Brother) (Murdered at the age of 22 in Porac, Pampanga in February 2009). He has four other younger siblings as well.
He has been represented by Paradigm Talent Agency, Talent and Literary Agency, West Hollywood, California, United States.
Hip hop, electro, alternative hip hop, hip house
His net worth has been $20 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 6 in or 168 cm
74 kg or 163 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Apl.de.ap has dated –
- KC Concepcion (2003) – In his interview with ABS CBN during the promotional event for The Voice of the Philippines, Allan admitted that he had dated Filipino actor and singer KC Concepcion in the past. They were serious about each other but their busy schedules made it difficult for them to connect. So, they eventually had to go separate ways. However, they have remained close friends over the year.
Race / Ethnicity
On his father’s side, he is of American and African origin. While he has Filipino ancestry on his mother’s side.
- Short stature
- Wacky mohawk hairdo
Allan has done brand endorsement work for the beer brand, San Miguel. He has appeared in a series of commercials for the brand alongside Filipino actress and TV show host, Kris Aquino.
He has also served as the Philippine Tourism Ambassador.
Best Known For
Being a member of the popular hip hop and pop band The Black Eyes Peas. They have sold more than 76 million records and have released several chart-topping singles and albums.
His music band The Black Eyed Peas released their debut studio album, Behind the Front in June 1998. The album received favorable reviews from critics but failed to achieve success on the charts.
In 2005, Apl.de.ap made his theatrical film debut as himself in the comedy music movie, Be Cool.
First TV Show
In December 2003, he made his first TV show appearance in the music TV series, Top of the Pops.
Allan works out regularly so that he could eat his favorite foods. He regularly hits the gym and if he is traveling around due to his work commitments, he makes sure that he is performing insanity workouts in the hotel room.
The insanity workouts incorporate bodyweight exercises done at a high pace over a very short period. His intense and grueling workout routine has helped him in completing the Ironman triathlon.
Apl.de.ap Favorite Things
- Dish – Lumpia
- Early Musical Influences – Stevie Wonder, Asin (Filipino rock band), The Beatles, The Eagles, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, and Leaders of the New School
- While studying in high school, he met his future The Black Eyed Peas band member William Adams (stage name will.i.am), who was the nephew of his adoptive father’s roommate.
- He grew up in poor conditions in the Philippines. He often had to assist his mother in growing corn, sweet potatoes, sugarcane, and rice on the farm.
- His living conditions improved after Pearl S. Buck Foundation found a sponsor, Joe Ben Hudgens, a US-based lawyer for him. The foundation works to support abandoned or orphaned American children through various programs.
- After visiting Disneyland, he decided that he wanted to stay in the US. Although it would have taken Hudgens three years more to adopt Apl.de.ap legally, he permanently shifted in to live with Hudgens at the age of 14.
- At the age of 14, he traveled to the US to get treatment for nystagmus, which is a condition characterized by an involuntary movement of the eyes.
- In 1988, while studying in 8th grade, he collaborated with will.i.am to form his first rap band. And, 4 years later, they were signed up by Ruthless records.
- Allan and will.i.am added Dante Santiago to their band and renamed it Atban Klann and compiled their debut album, Grass Roots. However, the album couldn’t be released as the label’s founder Eazy-E passed away.
- After Eazy-E’s death, they reformed their group and replaced Dante Santiago with Taboo and made Kim Hill a backup singer. The group was also renamed Black Eyes Pods, which was changed to Black Eyes Peas.
- In November 2008, he established his not-for-profit organization, Apl Foundation, which helps communities and disadvantaged children in his native country as well as Asia.
- In 2011, his foundation collaborated with Ninoy and Cory Aquino Foundation (NCAF) and pledged to build around 10,000 classrooms in two years.
- Apart from English, he is also fluent in two Philippine languages – Kapampangan and Tagalog.
- He was once legally blind in both of his eyes due to nystagmus. In 2012, he got artificial lenses implanted in his eyes by Beverly Hills-based eye surgeon Brian Boxer Wachler.
- While growing up, he was very keen on academics and harbored dreams of eventually becoming an engineer or a nurse.
- Before he got into rapping, he started break dancing on the streets and was very popular in the neighborhood as he knew almost every new dance move.
- In February 2015, he opened a franchise store of the Philippines fast-food chain Jollibee in Dau, Pampanga.
- On June 19, 2020, the Black Eyed Peas released its 8th studio album titled Translation and it features guest appearances from artists like Shakira, J Balvin, Ozuna, Maluma, Nicky Jam, Tyga, El Alfa, Piso 21, Becky G, and French Montana. The album peaked at number #3 on the US Top Latin Albums (Billboard) chart and at number #52 on the US Billboard 200 chart as well as was certified ‘Gold’ in France, Italy, and Poland.
Featured Image by Walmart / Flickr / CC BY 2.0