|Aziz Ansari Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||February 23, 1983|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Aziz Ansari is an American actor, comedian, writer, producer, and director, best known for his role of Tom Haverford on NBC’s TV series Parks and Recreation that ran from 2009 to 2015. He was also known for being a creator of Master of None series that started airing in 2015 on Netflix, for which he was awarded 2 Emmy Awards and a Golden Globe award in the category “Best Actor – Television Series Musical or Comedy”. The latter achievement made him the first Indian-American or Asian-American actor that won a Golden Globe award for acting in television. As a comedian, Aziz released multiple comedy specials, most notably Intimate Moments for a Sensual Evening in January 2010, and then he went on tours to promote his work, such as Dangerously Delicious (2010-2011), Buried Alive (2013), and Live at Madison Square Garden in 2015. He released his first book in June 2015, named Modern Romance: An Investigation.
Aziz Ismail Ansari
Columbia, South Carolina, United States
New York City, New York, United States
He attended Marlboro Academy and South Carolina Governor’s School for Science and Mathematics in Bennettsville, South Carolina, USA.
Aziz then enrolled into New York University Stern School of Business in New York City, New York, USA, and graduated with a degree in marketing.
Actor, Writer, Comedian, Producer, Director
- Father – Shoukath Ansari (Gastroenterologist)
- Mother – Fatima Ansari (Medical Office Worker)
- Siblings – Aniz Adam Ansari (Brother) (Writer, Editor)
- Others – Ismail (Paternal Grandfather), Syed Mohideen (Paternal Grand-Grandfather), Nafeesa (Paternal Grandmother), Ameenal Beevi (Grandmother), Mohamed Abubacker Lebba (Grand-Grandfather), Mariam B. (Grand-Grandmother)
Aziz is represented by –
- William Morris Endeavor (WME) Entertainment
- 3 Arts Entertainment
- Independent Public Relations
5 ft 6 in or 168 cm
63 kg or 139 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
He has dated –
- Courtney McBroom (2013-2015) – He dated the American chef Courtney McBroom from August 2014 up until December 2015.
- Serena Skov Campbell (2018) – In September 2018, the rumor started doing the rounds after Aziz was spotted with Serena, a Danish Ph.D. physicist at the U.S. Open game on September 3, 2018.
Race / Ethnicity
Aziz is of Indian (Tamil) descent.
- Often wears suits during performances
- Stubble facial hair
- High-pitched voice
Aziz appeared in a TV commercial for Comedy Central in 2005. He also gave his support to the Anoka-Hennepin LGBT group.
Best Known For
- Starring in Parks and Recreation (2009-2015) as Tom Haverford
- Being a creator of Master of None Netflix TV series which debuted in 2015
- Acting in 30 Minutes or Less (2011) film as Chet
- Being a writer of Modern Romance: An Investigation, released on June 16, 2015
- Starring in Human Giant, short comedy sketches that ran from 2007 to 2009 on MTV
He made his theatrical film debut as a classmate in School for Scoundrels in 2006.
First TV Show
Aziz made his TV show debut as MC Bricklayer in an episode of Uncle Morty’s Dub Shack in 2004.
Aziz Ansari Favorite Things
- Food – Pasta, Pizza, Tacos
Source – CBC
Aziz Ansari Facts
- His family is Tamil Muslim, from Tamil Nadu, India, but Aziz himself can speak only very little of Tamil language.
- Aziz was among the first cast members to be hired for Parks and Recreation, the TV series that first aired in April 2009, and lasted until February 24, 2015. He played the lead role of Tom Haverford, a government official that dreamed of being successful. His co-stars were Amy Poehler, Rashida Jones, Adam Scott, Nick Offerman, Aubrey Plaza, Chris Pratt, and others.
- Ansari’s close family has connections to his Master of None Netflix TV series that first aired in 2015. His brother co-wrote an episode of the series, and his parents appeared in both 1st and 2nd seasons of the show. It earned 4 Emmy Award nominations by the end of 2016, and Ansari’s performance was worthy of a Golden Globe Award nomination for “Best Actor – Television Series Musical or Comedy” the same year.
- The 2nd season of Master of None premiered on May 12, 2017, and earned 100% ranking on Rotten Tomatoes, a well-known movie and TV series review website. In 2018, Azis won the Golden Globe Award for “Best Actor – Television Series Musical or Comedy” for his brilliant performance, making him the first Asian-American to achieve it in the television.
- He was also the first person of Indian origin to host the episode of Saturday Night Live that premiered on January 21, 2017.
- Aziz hosted the MTV Movie Awards on June 6, 2010, where he premiered a short film named Stunt Kidz, featuring his Human Giant (2007-2009) castmates. Another short film was also made, starring actor Zach Galifianakis and himself as Taavon, in addition to a comedic bit where Aziz paid a musical tribute to the movie Avatar (2009), but in the style of R. Kelly, a well-known singer.
- He had a guest role in Flight of the Conchords (2007), Scrubs (2009) and most notably, Bob’s Burgers, an animated comedy, between 2012 and 2018, as the voice for Darryl.
- Aziz made a cameo appearance in a music video for a song Otis on August 2011. The song was a collaboration between Jay-Z and Kanye West from their album Watch the Throne.
- He had numerous film appearances, most notably in Get Him to the Greek (2010) with Russell Brand and Jonah Hill, I Love You, Man (2009) with Paul Rudd, 30 Minutes or Less (2011) with Jesse Eisenberg and Danny McBride, and Observe and Report (2009) with Seth Rogen, and Anna Faris.
- Despite being raised as a Muslim, he claimed he was non-religious, but respected all religions.
- Aziz self-identified as feminist and touched on the topic in his TV series Master of None, as well as various interviews since 2015.
- He formed a so-called Food Club with his friends, as he’s a foodie. They went to different restaurants, and if the food was satisfactory, gave them plaques that had their faces engraved. It started as a joke, but the restaurants started displaying plaques, and the customers would be confused at first.
- A woman named Abby Nierman under the pseudonym Grace posted her story on Babe.net portal in January 2019. Her experience of meeting and going on a date with Aziz sparked controversy and talk of s*xual misconduct. After dinner and drinks, they went back to Ansari’s apartment, and the night ended in a s*xual manner. The day after the encounter, she said she felt uneasy and uncomfortable with how he acted and said that he forced her into actions she wasn’t willing to perform. Aziz said to the media that he felt everything was completely consensual, but that he was worried to learn that she didn’t feel the same way, and would respond privately to her.
- He was highly praised for his charity work. In 2012, he participated in an animated video for Oxfam America as a talking goat in order to encourage donations. In April 2013, after the Boston Marathon bombing happened, he performed a benefit show at Wilbur Theater in Boston, Massachusetts. All profit from the event went to The Officer Richard Donohue Fund and The One Fund to support the victims.
- In 2016, Aziz received an American Ingenuity Award for Performing Arts by the Smithsonian Magazine.
- Rolling Stone magazine ranked him at 49th place on their list of “Greatest Stand-up Comedians of All Time” in 2017.
- Aziz was also one of the 100 most influential people of 2016 in the list published by Time magazine the same year.
- Visit his official website @ azizansari.com.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by Aziz Ansari / Instagram