Blackpink is a female South Korean pop group that was launched by YG Entertainment in 2016. The band has set numerous records with the release of their smash-hits like Ddu-Du Ddu-Du, Boombayah, Kill This Love, How You Like That, Whistle, Stay, and Playing With Fire. Among their many stellar achievements is being the first female K-pop group to be included in Forbes Magazine‘s list of ’30 Under 30 Asia’ in 2019.
Seoul, South Korea
K-pop, Hip Hop, Trap, EDM
- YG Entertainment
- Interscope Records
- Square One (2016), their debut single album, contained the popular tracks Boombayah and Whistle which reached #1 and #2 on Billboard’s US World Digital Songs chart.
- Their highly-anticipated debut studio album titled The Album (2020) comprises of hit songs like Ice Cream, Lovesick Girls, and How You Like That; the latter of which holds 5 different Guinness World Records.
- Kill This Love (2019), their 2nd Korean EP, was certified ‘platinum’ by the KMCA.
- Before deciding on the name Blackpink, the group considered calling themselves ‘Baby Monster’, ‘Magnum’, and ‘Pink Punk’.
- With the exception of Jisoo, all the other girls can speak fluently in English.
- The group’s fandom is known as ‘Blinks’ (which is a portmanteau of their band’s name).
- Three of the band’s most successful songs Ddu-Du Ddu-Du, Boombayah, and Kill This Love have each amassed more than 1 billion views on YouTube as of October 2020.
- Harry Styles and Canadian rapper Drake are among the fans of Blackpink.
- All 4 girls are the face of luxury fashion brands – Rosé represents Saint Laurent, Jisoo endorses Dior, Jennie promotes Chanel, and Lisa is the global ambassador of Bulgari and Celine.
- In 2019, Blackpink made history as the first-ever female K-pop group to perform at the renowned Coachella Festival.
- In March 2019, they were featured on the cover of Billboard Magazine; making it the debut appearance for any K-pop girl band in the history of the magazine.
- The band has collaborated with international stars like Lady Gaga on the song Sour Candy (2020) and Dua Lipa on Kiss and Make Up (2018).
- In June 2020, BLACKPINK made 3 Guinness World Records with the release of their song ‘How You Like That’ after they had recorded 86.3 million views on the very first day of its release. Those 3 records are – Most viewed YouTube video in 24 hours, most viewed music video on YouTube in 24 hours, and most-viewed YouTube music video in 24 hours by a K-pop group.
Featured Image by Newsenstar1 / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0