|Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||January 8, 1957|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh is an Indian politician who has served as a Member of Parliament from Kaiserganj as a member of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) as well as the president of the Wrestling Federation of India.
Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh
Gonda, Uttar Pradesh, India
Gonda, Uttar Pradesh, India
Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh got enrolled at K.S. Saket P.G. College (full name: Kamtaprasad Sunderlal Post Graduate College), a government-aided college in Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh, and studied law.
- Father – Shri Jagdamba Sharan Singh
- Mother – Smt. Pyari Devi Singh
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh has dated –
- Ketki Devi Singh (1981-Present) – He got married to politician and social worker Ketki Devi Singh in the year 1981 and she gave birth to their 4 children – three sons named Shakti Sharan Singh (deceased), Prateek Bhushan Singh (b. May 9, 1988), and Karan Bhushan Singh and a daughter. Ketki has served as Zila panchayat adhyaksh elected from the Gonda district constituency in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh as a Bhartiya Janta Party candidate. Their oldest child Shakti Sharan Singh committed suicide at the age of 23 by shooting himself with a licensed pistol in 2014 and reportedly blamed his father’s selfish attitude in a suicide note.
Race / Ethnicity
Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh is of Rajput descent.
Salt and Pepper
Sports a beard
Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh Facts
- Between 1974 and 2007, 38 criminal cases were lodged against Brij Bhushan Singh according to police records, with many FIRs being filed under the Gangsters and Goonda Acts for multiple charges including theft, dacoity, murder, criminal intimidation, attempt to murder, and kidnapping. However, he was acquitted in most of the cases as per his election affidavit.
- As a BJP candidate, he was elected to the 10th Lok Sabha from Gonda constituency in Uttar Pradesh in 1991.
- Brij Bhushan was arrested by CBI along with 39 other people due to their involvement in the Babri Masjid Demolition Case in 1992. Although a prime suspect, he was acquitted by the Supreme Court of India several years later in 2020. According to The Wire, he later boasted, “During the movement, I was the first person from the area to be arrested by Mulayam Singh. I was also the first person arrested by the CBI after the controversial structure was demolished.”
- In 1993, he was charged with the Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (Prevention) Act for allegedly helping associates of Dawood Ibrahim who allegedly organized the J.J Hospital Shootout in Mumbai.
- After he was expelled from the BJP for cross-voting in the parliament during the 2008 Lok Sabha vote of confidence, he joined the Samajwadi Party on July 20, 2008.
- He was re-elected to 15th Lok Sabha from Kaiserganj constituency in Uttar Pradesh state in 2009.
- He rejoined the BJP months before the 16th general election.
- After he was appointed as president of the Wrestling Federation of India (WFI), Brij Bhushan stated in an interview with The Indian Express, “They [wrestlers] are strong boys and girls. You need someone strong to control them. Is there anyone stronger than me here?”
- During a video interview with The Lallantop in 2022, Brij Bhushan admitted to committing murder and said, “I have committed a murder in the past. Whatever people may say, I did commit a murder. I immediately shot and killed the person who had shot Ravinder dead”. Ravinder Singh was one of his close friends.
- A group of Olympians and international wrestlers including Vinesh Phogat, Sakshi Malik, and Bajrang Punia organized a sit-in in January 2023 demanding the disbanding of the federation due to alleged s*xual harassment of female wrestlers by Brij Bhushan.
Featured Image by Brij Bhushan Sharan Singh / Instagram