|CeeLo Green Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||May 30, 1974|
CeeLo Green is an American R&B singer, rapper, songwriter, actor and producer who is predominantly known for his hit song Crazy that was released by Gnarls Barkley in 2006, which was a duo consisting of him and Danger Mouse (Brian Burton). His high, soulful voice, flamboyant persona, and multiple successful albums with the group Goodie Mob that released albums Soul Food (1995) and Still Standing (1998) brought him worldwide recognition. His solo projects such as Cee-Lo Green and his Perfect Imperfections in 2002, as well as collaborative projects with a group OutKast on World Party (1999), played a significant role in the popularity and success he enjoyed throughout the years.
Thomas DeCarlo Callaway
CeeLo Green, Cee-Lo Green, Thomas Burton
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
He went to Benjamin E. Mays High School but dropped out in the 9th grade.
CeeLo was then sent to a boarding school for boys in Gainesville, Georgia named Riverside Military Academy, where he successfully got a GED (General Educational Development) degree and graduated.
Singer, Rapper, Songwriter, Record Producer, Actor
- Father – Thomas Burton Sr. (Ordained Minister) (d. 1976)
- Mother – Sheila J. Tyler-Callaway (Firefighter) (d. 1992)
- Siblings – Shedonna Alexander (Sister)
- Others – Ruby Callaway Robinson (Grandmother)
CeeLo Green is represented by –
- William Morris Endeavor (WME) Entertainment
- Primary Wave Entertainment
R&B, Soul, Funk, Hip-Hop
- Arista (1999)
- BMG (Bertelsmann Music Group)
- Elektra Records
- Atlantic Records
5 ft 6 in or 168 cm
91 kg or 201 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
CeeLo has dated –
- Christina Johnson – Christina, a famous reality TV contestant, dated him in the past. The pair got married in 2000 and had a son, Kingston Johnson, who was born on September 30, 2000. He was also a stepfather to Christina’s daughters at the time, named Kalah and Sierra. Unfortunately, the couple called it quits and divorced in 2005.
- Shani James (2013-Present) – Shani and CeeLo started dating in 2013, and after only 2 years, got engaged in October 2015. The engagement was initially kept a secret, and it happened one night in his studio when he surprised her by proposing.
Race / Ethnicity
CeeLo Green has African-American ancestry.
- High, but soulful voice
- Bald head
- Large stature
- Thick Southern accent
He has endorsed brands or appeared in commercials such as –
- Opel Corsa in the UK (2010)
- 7-Up Soda (2012)
- TY KU (2013)
- eDiets TV (2013)
Best Known For
- His hit song Crazy, released by the duo Gnarls Barkley in 2006, which reached the first spot on various singles charts worldwide
- His album St. Elsewhere (2006) that also reached the number 1 on UK Albums Chart, and got to the 4th place on US Billboard 200 album chart
- Being a voice actor in Hotel Transylvania (2012) animated film where he borrowed his voice to Murray the Mummy
- Hit single Forget You from the album The Lady Killer (2010) that reached massive success in the UK and USA
- Being a coach on The Voice, a singing competition, from 2011 to 2013
His first solo album was Cee-Lo Green and His Perfect Imperfections, released in 2002 and signed by Arista record label.
He made his theatrical film debut in Mystery Men in 1999.
First TV Show
CeeLo made his first TV show appearance as himself on The Lyricist Lounge Show in 2000.
CeeLo Green Favorite Things
- Albums – Thriller by Michael Jackson, Raw Power by Iggy and the Stooges
- Musicians – Portishead, Dr. Dre, De La Soul, Black Sheep, N.W.A, Ice Cube
- Food – Little Debbies, Star Crunch, Potato chips, Hot dogs
- Drinks – Pinkberry, Frozen yogurt
- Personal quote – “I’m all about taking chances. You have to ask yourself – if you’re not taking any chances, are you actually even living? Every time you walk out of your door and you’re out in the world, you take a chance on not coming back. That is the danger and the dynamic of being alive.”
CeeLo Green Facts
- He is a CEO/Partner at Emerald Productions, a production company for new talents and media projects, working in collaboration with the NBC network.
- CeeLo started his own charity with his sister, Shedonna Alexander, named GreenHouse Foundation. It deals with various topics, but mostly with educating students about green living practice.
- The name of the duo behind the song Crazy from the album St. Elsewhere (2006), Gnarls Barkley, was a pun on the name of Charles Barkley, a famous basketball star.
- Gnarls Barkley won 2 Grammy Awards for the 2006 album, St. Elsewhere and released a new one in 2008, named The Odd Couple.
- He appeared in multiple music videos of other artists, such as The Pussycat Dolls’ Don’t Cha (2000), Asher Roth’s Be By Myself (2002), Rihanna‘s Cheers (Drink to That) (2011), and Yo Gotti‘s Down In The DM (2016).
- CeeLo’s mother, first an ordained minister, then a firefighter, died after being paralyzed as a result of a car crash when he was 18. His dad, also an ordained minister, died when he was only 2 years old.
- He starred in the 1999 superhero comedy Mystery Men alongside Ben Stiller.
- His stepdaughter from the marriage with Christina Johnson made him a very young grandfather in 2010.
- The single F*ck You reached a massive success when it was launched on August 10, 2010. However, it had to be renamed to Forget You for mainstream release, picking up 5 Grammy nominations, and the number 1 spot in the UK when it debuted.
- CeeLo appeared as a coach and judge on reality TV singing competition The Voice on NBC in 2011. In December 2012, he announced he will be taking a hiatus and was replaced by Usher in the 4th season. He ultimately returned for the 5th season but left the show permanently afterward. The other judges during the first season of The Voice were Adam Levine, Christina Aguilera, and Blake Shelton.
- His salary was reportedly around $75,000 per episode of The Voice in the 1st season and $100,000 for the 2nd.
- He was reunited with the group that started it all, Goodie Mob, for an album Age Against the Machine, released to the public on August 27, 2013.
- He appeared in a sitcom Anger Management on February 28, 2013, alongside Charlie Sheen.
- CeeLo Green has said about his youth that he was a maniac, kleptomaniac, goon, and a pyromaniac in those years.
- His reality-based TV series CeeLo Green’s The Good Life premiered on June 23, 2014, on TBS. The show was canceled on September 6, 2014, after 2 controversial comments on Twitter that he made regarding the topic of r*pe.
- Visit his official website @ www.ceelogreen.com.
- Follow him on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Spotify, Last.fm, and SoundCloud.
Featured Image by CeeLo Green / Instagram