|David Spade Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||July 22, 1964|
David Spade is an American comedian and actor best known for his observational, sarcastic, and self-deprecating comedic style expressed with an exaggerated tone of voice. He is a close friend of Ellen Degeneres since the 1980s and fellow comedians, Chris Rock, Rob Schneider, and Adam Sandler. He has portrayed important roles in numerous TV shows and films like Entourage, Saturday Night Live, Grown Ups, 8 Simple Rules, and Lost & Found. He has a huge social media fan base with more than 2 million followers on Instagram and more than 3 million followers on Twitter.
David Wayne Spade
Spader, Gizmo, Sparky
Birmingham, Michigan, United States
Beverly Hills, Los Angeles, California, United States
David studied in Casa Grande Union High School and graduated from Saguaro High School in 1982. He later got enrolled in Scottsdale Community College for a Business degree and then transferred to Arizona State University. He dropped out shortly after earning his first few credits to pursue a career as a comedian.
Actor, Comedian, Writer, Executive Producer
- Father – Wayne M. Spade aka Sam (Sales Representative)
- Mother – Judith J. Meek aka Judy aka Judy Todd (Former Magazine Editor)
- Siblings – Bryan Spade (Older Brother), Andrew Spade aka Andy (Older Brother) (Entrepreneur, Advertising Executive, Founder of Branding studio, Partners & Spade)
- Others – Kate Spade (Sister-in-law) (Deceased) (Handbag Designer, Founder of Kate Spade New York), Cathy Blumling Spade (Sister-in-law), Frances Beatrix Spade (Niece), Wayne Morrell Spade (Paternal Grandfather), Florence Grace Little (Paternal Grandmother), Joseph Edward Meek (Maternal Grandfather), Clara Louise Meyers (Maternal Grandmother)
David is represented by –
- William Morris Endeavor Entertainment
- Desert Rat, Inc.
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
65 kg or 143.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
David has dated a long string of beautiful women of all ages from different walks of life. In the early 1990s, he stated in an interview that he preferred dating civilians or non-celebrities. However, that changed in the decades to follow. The following is a list of some of his most famous partners –
- Kelli McCarty (1992) – Former Miss America 1991 Kelli McCarty was the comedian’s first high profile romance that caught the attention of tabloids in 1992. She met David during a guest spot on Saturday Night Live. They dated for a brief period before parting ways.
- Jennifer Rubin (1993) – David connected with former Calvin Klein model and actress Jennifer Rubin in 1993. Their relationship also lasted for a few months.
- Bobbie Phillips (1996) – Former swimsuit model and actress was bagging guest roles in leading prime time TV shows when she met David who was also in the midst of a soaring career. The couple started dating in 1996 and reportedly drifted apart after a short while owing to their busy professional lives.
- Kristy Swanson (1996–1997) – Actress Kristy Swanson and David met during the filming of 8 Heads in a Duffel Bag (1997). They were rumored to be dating for almost 1 year as the couple was frequently clicked together at social events. This was the first of David’s most publicized romances.
- Lara Flynn Boyle (1998–1999) – David was reportedly Lara’s rebound in 1998 right after she divorced her first husband, John Patrick Dee III. Their relationship ended abruptly in 1999 when Lara moved on to date Jack Nicholson. Apparently, the actress started seeing Jack Nicholson without informing David. The comedian shared in 2015 that Jack asked out Flynn right in front of David when the two were smoking marijuana somewhere. Although, at that time Lara disapproved of the idea of going out with the veteran actor. Shortly after, a reporter from the National Enquirer called David to let him know that Jack Nicholson was involved in a car accident and Lara Flynn Boyle was accompanying him. That incident was responsible for ending all interaction between David and Lara.
- Tara Reid (2000) – David started dating actress Tara Reid just after the success of American Pie (1999) in 2000. They reportedly went out for nearly a year.
- Stacey Hayes (2000–2001) – David started dating former competitive ice-skater, daily soap actress, and infomercial spokesperson, Stacey Hayes in 2000. David possibly bonded with Stacey due to their mutual interest in comedy. She often attempted stand-up comedy at an LA Club called The Comedy Store. They dated for almost a year before breaking up in 2001.
- Krista Allen (2001–2002) – Yoga instructor and actress Krista started dating David in 2001. However, their romance was short-lived as they broke up in 2002. She moved on and started seeing George Clooney right after. In 2015, she sued David for 1 million dollars that extended into a long-running legal battle. She claimed that she co-created the idea for the reality TV show Fameless pitching it by the name of Frauditions which was hosted and produced by Spade for 10 episodes from 2015 – 2017.
- Caprice Bourret (2002) – British model turned businesswoman Caprice Bourret had a brief liaison with David in 2002 at the peak of her fame when she had a very high profile social life. Caprice was casually dating several celebrities and traveling all over the world which prevented any long term association with Spade.
- Julie Bowen (2002–2003) – David started dating actress Julie Bowen in 2002, and one of his grand romantic gestures was to get Stevie Nicks to sing Fleetwood Mac’s Landslide song on Julie’s voicemail for her birthday. After dating David for a year, Julie met her software developer and real estate investor, Scott Philips and married him in 2004.
- Brittany Daniel (2003–2004) – The comedian next moved on to date actress Brittany Daniel whom he first got to know as his co-star in Joe Dirt (2001). They had an amicable break-up and reunited after many years for Joe Dirt 2 (2015). While promoting Joe Dirt 2 in 2015, the actress shared that one of the reasons that the comedian gets to date so many beautiful women is that he is kind, humble, and hilarious.
- Sara Foster (2004) – Model and actress Sara Foster was rumored to be dating Spade in February 2004. But, she quickly moved on to a more public romance with Puerto Rican actor, Benicio Del Toro that lasted for more than a year.
- Jillian Barberie (2004) – Television presenter and actress Jillian Barberie admitted on The Howard Stern Show that she dated David Spade briefly in the years between her 1st and 2nd marriage around 2004.
- Heather Locklear (2006) – David confessed on Late Show with David Letterman that he dated actress Heather Locklear in 2006. The comedian was supposedly her rebound as she was in the middle of divorce proceedings from her 2nd husband, Bon Jovi guitarist, Richie Sambora. Heather was also reportedly dating daily soap actor, Jack Wagner around the same time. The paparazzi even clicked David and Heather on their way to Hawaii in December 2006.
- Carmen Electra (2006;2008) – Spade connected with actress, glamour model, singer, and dancer Carmen Electra at the Teen Choice Awards in 2006 which was the same year she separated from her 2nd husband, famous guitarist, Dave Navarro. They were linked, romantically, again in 2008 when they were spotted together at a New Year’s Eve party in Las Vegas.
- Nicky Whelan (2007–2008) – David had a very public relationship period with Australian actress, Nicky Whelan from 2007 to 2008. They regularly appeared together at red carpet events.
- Pamela Anderson (2007) – The paparazzi took notice when Spade and former Baywatch star Pamela Anderson arrived together at Jet nightclub in Mirage Resort, Las Vegas in 2007. Their romantic involvement was speculated for a short period.
- Jillian Grace (2007) – Former Playboy model, Jillian Grace shared that although she dated David for only a few months in 2007, the comedian seriously discussed having children with her. In 2008, she gave birth to a daughter named Harper fathered by Spade. After taking a paternity test, David embraced an active role as a father.
- Nicollette Sheridan (2008–2009) – Former Desperate Housewives TV star Nicollette Sheridan reportedly engaged in a casual romance with David Spade from 2008 to 2009. She denied dating the comedian on The Ellen Degeneres Show but David Spade responded in an earlier episode of the same talk show that Nicollette probably hangs out with him to kill time and their involvement should not be considered as dating.
- Padma Lakshmi (2010) – The comedian went out on a dinner date with a model, actress, author, and TV host Padma Lakshmi at Koi in Los Angeles in June 2010.
- Jasmine Waltz (2011) – David Spade was spotted on a date with model, actress and reality star, Jasmine Waltz on his 47th birthday in 2011.
- Kaitlynn Carter (2012) – Before getting married to Brody Jenner, son of former Olympian Bruce Jenner with actress Linda Thompson, the paparazzi spotted novelist and entrepreneur Kaitlynn with David Spade on a lunch date holding hands in 2012.
- Naya Rivera (2017) – Spade’s relationship with former Glee star, actress, and singer, Naya came to light when the two were spotted getting intimate in summer 2017 during a vacation in Hawaii. Naya started seeing David while she was separated with husband, Ryan Dorsey and awaiting the culmination of their divorce proceedings. She left the comedian to attempt reconciliation with Ryan in the second half of 2017 only to finalize their divorce in June 2018.
- Ivy Levan (2017) – David was rumored to be dating model and singer, Ivy Levan after the two were clicked enjoying each other’s company in August 2017.
- In June 2018, paparazzi spotted David with another unidentified blonde woman.
Race / Ethnicity
David has German, English, Irish, Scots-Irish/Northern Irish, Swiss-German, and Dutch ancestry.
- Thin physical frame
- Maintains more or less the same bob style since the 1990s with sweeping side locks of hair on the front and side if not combed back
- Usually maintains a trim mustache and a goatee
- Sarcastic tone and style of conversation
David Spade has appeared in the TV commercials for the following brands –
- 1-800-COLLECT (1996)
- Coors Beer ‘21 Means 21’ (1999)
- Voice-over for Sienna Mist Soda (2003)
- 7 Up (2010)
- Capital One Credit cards (2004)
Best Known For
- Being a part of an ensemble cast of NBC sitcom Just Shoot Me! (1997–2003) that ran for almost 148 episodes and CBS sitcom Rules of Engagement (2007–2013) that ran for 100 episodes
- His roles in comedy films such as Tommy Boy (1995), Black Sheep (1996), Grown Ups (2010), and Grown Ups 2 (2013)
He made his theatrical film debut as Kyle in the action film Police Academy 4: Citizens on Patrol in 1987.
As a voice actor, David made his theatrical film debut in Beavis and Butt-Head do America in 1996. However, he was uncredited for his role.
he made his credited theatrical film debut as a voice-over artist by giving voice to the character of Ranger Frank in The Rugrats Movie in 1998.
First TV Show
He made his TV show debut in the pop music show, American Bandstand in 1987.
His first voice-over job was to narrate the dialogues for Ticket Attendant in Beavis and Butt-Head in 1993.
Well aware of the pressure to stay lean in Hollywood, David regularly works out at a gym often joined by close friend Adam Sandler. The comedian does not train too hard and tries to maintain his body weight between 140-145 lbs.
He enjoys surfing and other water sports such as jet skiing. David does not like sleeping in too late and prefers to get up by 8 AM.
David Spade Favorite Things
- Cocktail – Vodka in Diet Coke
- Acting Mentor – George Segal
David Spade Facts
- His family relocated to Arizona when he was 4 years old.
- His father abandoned him and the rest of his family when he was 6 years old.
- David’s mother had to work 2 jobs to provide for her sons that allowed Spade and his brothers to indulge in plenty of questionable and dangerous fun. At the age of 10, he owned a rifle and killed time by shooting cactus and birds in Arizona desert.
- The comedian is afraid of spiders but loves snakes. He and his older brothers often used to head out to the desert to catch rattlesnakes with tennis rackets and keep them as pets.
- Spade is vocal about his preference for smoking weed.
- He is sensitive to sunlight.
- Spade was a brilliant student in elementary school. While in 3rd grade, he was moved up to 4th-grade mathematics and reading. He was a member of Mensa and a spelling bee champ. He also made it to state-level chess finals and liked to collect coins.
- David’s intelligence, however, isolated him from his classmates. Hence, in high school, he stopped paying attention to his education and developed an active social life.
- When he was 15 years old, his step-father who was a former war veteran, committed suicide. Soon after that, his best friend died in a motorcycle crash. These devastating events pushed David to pursue stand-up comedy full time.
- As a college student, David was a member of the Sigma Alpha Epsilon community and performed stand-up as a part of ASU’s on-campus comedy sketch show called Farce Side Comedy Hour.
- After quitting college, the comedian supported himself through his struggle by working various jobs as a busboy, valet parker, and a skateboard shop employee.
- Advertising was David’s back up option if his career in comedy had not taken off.
- Before he started getting regular professional gigs, David worked with his older brother Andy and sister-in-law, Kate Spade who went on to create a multi-million dollar handbag and fashion brand, Kate Spade New York.
- Spade’s first substantial earning was $6,000 dollars from a minor role in Police Academy 4. He used that money to purchase a Honda Accord that was stolen merely after 1 hour of ownership. David had to borrow the same amount of money from Bobcat Goldthwait to buy another Honda Accord.
- He auditioned for the iconic TV show Full House and was nearly cast as Joey Gladstone that was eventually played by Dave Coulier.
- The comedian was in the middle of planning a 3rd film with his best friend, Chris Farley who unexpectedly died in 1997 due to the drug overdose. Extremely distressed by his sudden demise, David did not attend his funeral and did not justify his absence until years later.
- David earned his first big break with the help of former comedian and friend, Dennis Miller who helped him get a job as a writer on Saturday Night Live in 1990. He gained recognition for doing celebrity impressions of famous actors such as Brad Pitt and Michael J. Fox on the show.
- During one of his Saturday Night Live segments, Spade offended Eddie Murphy by calling him a “….falling star..”. Eddie Murphy expressed his anger through a phone call and did not speak to him after that for nearly 20 years.
- The last few years on SNL were so stressful for David that he developed chronic neck and low back pain.
- In November 2000, Spade’s personal assistant David Malloy aka Skippy attacked him with a stun gun and robbed him.
- The comedian wanted Sean Penn to make an appearance on Saturday Night Live for an interview. The actor agreed to it on condition of giving David a tattoo and drew the cartoon character of Calvin on Spade’s left bicep.
- David earned a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame on September 5, 2003.
- His Beverly Hills home was robbed of $80,000 dollars in 2017. The comedian joked about that incident on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon.
- Shocked by his sister-in-law’s unexpected suicide in 2018, David paid tribute to Kate Spade on social media lauding her intelligence and quick wit. He also donated $100,000 dollars to a mental health organization in her honor and shared stories during interviews about how many of his ex-girlfriends dressed to impress his sister-in-law rather than him.
- In 2018, Spade released a 6-hour comic memoir audiobook called A Polaroid Guy in a Snapchat World that mostly received positive reviews.
- To find out more about the comedian, visit his official website @ www.davidspade.com.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image by RealTVfilms / Vimeo / CC BY-SA 3.0