|deadmau5 Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||January 5, 1981|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Joel Thomas Zimmerman
Halcyon441, Karma K, Testpilot, deadmau5, Joel Zimmerman, Dred and Karma
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Deadmau5 completed his graduation from Westlane Secondary School in Niagara Falls.
Record producer, DJ, composer
- Father – Rodney Thomas Zimmerman (General Motors Plant Worker)
- Mother – Nancy Zimmerman (née Johnson) (Visual Artist)
- Siblings – Jennifer Zimmerman (Older Sister), Chris Zimmerman (Younger Brother)
Three-six-zero manages Deadmau5
Progressive house, electro house, electronic, ambient
Synthesizer, keyboard, piano, digital audio workstation, programming
Mau5trap, Astralwerks, Virgin EMI, Ultra, Ministry of Sound, SongBird, Play, Virgin, Parlophone, Kobalt Music
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
74 kg or 163 pounds
Girlfriend / Spouse
Deadmau5 has dated –
- Elle Evans (2010-2011) – Deadmau5 and American model Elle Evans began dating in 2010. However, they ended their relationship in September 2011.
- Kat Von D (2012–2013) – Deadmau5 and the American tattoo artist Kat Von D began dating in September 2012. They both have similar tattoos, one of which is the number 289m3d22h, on their arms, which symbolizes the day they met. They also have two black stars underneath their eyes. They broke up briefly in November 2012 but rekindled their romance again. On December 15, 2012, Deadmau5 proposed to Kat on Twitter and they got engaged. They had announced that they would get married in August 2013 with an aquatic-themed wedding. He shifted base to LA to live with Kat. However, Kat announced that they had called off their engagement in June 2013.
- Kelly “Grill” Fedoni (?-Present) – Kelly, a realtor, and Deadmau5 began dating after he split from Kat Von D. The couple got engaged in January 2016 while vacationing in Maldives. They got married on August 12, 2017.
Race / Ethnicity
White / Caucasian
He has German, Swiss, and English ancestry.
Tattoos all over his body
Deadmau5 appeared in a TV commercial for Sonos in 2012.
Best Known For
- Being one of the most popular electronic music producers in the world.
- Wearing the iconic mouse mask, mau5head, for all his public shows.
He released his first album in 2005, and it was called Get Scraped. It was self-produced.
His first theatrical appearance was in the movie The Electric Daisy Carnival Experience. The live concert documentary was released in 2011 and documented the electronic music festival in all its glory. Deadmau5 starred as himself in the movie.
First TV Show
His first appearance on a television show was playing himself on the TV drama Gossip Girl in March 2010.
Deadmau5 Favorite Things
- Food – Steak and bacon
- Restaurant – The Chase, Weslodge, La Société in Yorkville
- Virtual Studio Technology – Cytomics new Drop Filter
- Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) – Ableton, Cubase6
Source – Toronto Life, House Planet
- His name is pronounced as ‘dead mouse’.
- As a teenager, he once found a dead mouse on his computer. Since then, he became known as the ‘dead mouse’. He wanted to change his name to deadmouse but settled on deadmau5 in which ‘Maus’ is German for mouse and the number 5 is a form of leet for the alphabet S.
- He has two cats “Professor Meowingtons”, whom he adopted from the Toronto Humane Society in 2010, and “Miss Nyan Cat”.
- He appears mostly wearing a headdress in the shape of a mouse head, which is the logo he created, called mau5head. Jay Gordon of the industrial metal band Orgy gave him the idea of a headdress and Deadmau5 expressed his interest in wanting his logo to be an icon.
- He collapsed on stage as a result of exhaustion and suffered from vomiting while performing at the 9:30 Club in Washington DC on July 30, 2010. As a result, the show and the following nine events had to be canceled.
- As of 2017, he has received 6 Grammy nominations for his music but couldn’t win a single one.
- In 2017, Deadmau5 was declared one of the highest-paid electronic music producers in the world.
- On September 6, 2008, his collaboration track “Move For Me” with Kaskade topped Billboard magazine’s Dance/Mix Show Airplay chart. His other two collaborations with Kaskade “I Remember” and “Ghosts ’n’ Stuff” (with Robbie Swire) also topped the same chart. In doing so, he became the only Canadian to have three #1 tracks on that chart.
- Deadmau5 became the 6th Canadian to top Billboard’s Dance/Mix Show Airplay chart after Deborah, Cox, Nelly Furtado, Dragonette, Justin Bieber, and The Weeknd.
- His song “Ghosts ’n’ Stuff” was featured on the soundtrack of the MTV reality series Jersey Shore in 2010.
- Deadmau5 was named the “MTV PUSH Artist of the Week” on August 16, 2010. He was also named the house DJ for the MTV Video Music Awards in 2010.
- His song “Some Chords” from his 5th studio album 4×4=12 was featured on the episode “Pool Shark” of CSI: Crime Scene Investigation and he also made a cameo appearance in the episode in 2010.
- An instrumental version of his song “Sofi Needs a Ladder” (featuring SOFI) was included in The Hangover Part II movie in 2011.
- Deadmau5 performed live at KeyArena in Seattle on August 8, 2015. His performance was at the conclusion of the Dota 2 competition named The International 5 (TI5). It was the largest ever tournament in eSports till 2017.
- In October 2015, Deadmau5 announced his independent label mau5trap after leaving his then-label Astralwerks.
- Deadmau5 tweeted on December 16, 2015, that he wanted to end his career as deadmau5 and start with something new. The next day, he deleted his Twitter and Facebook accounts. On December 21, he reopened his Twitter account and posted an explanation on his Tumblr saying that he was suffering from depression and would return to producing new music in 2016.
- Deadmmau5 appears in a video game DJ Hero 2, as a playable avatar. It was released in October 2010. The game also featured many tracks by him including the “Ghosts ’n’ Stuff” mix with Lady Gaga’s “Just Dance.”
- In 2014, Deadmau5 purchased a home in Campbellville, Milton, Ontario for $5 million.
- He created deadmau5.com in 2002 and began uploading songs to SectionZ and producing under the alias name deadmau5.
- He wanted to register the name of his pet cat Professor Meowingtons as a trademark name but was beaten to it by an online retailer in 2015.
- Deadmau5 won the International Achievement Award by SOCAN on June 19, 2012, in Toronto.
- He is a big fan of Nyan Cat and, in 2014, had customized his half-a-million-dollar car Ferrari 458 Spider with a wrap of Nyan Cat. Apparently, it did not go down well with the company, and they issued a cease-and-desist to the music producer. He complied and had the custom-made wraps removed.
- Deadmau5 became the first electronic artist to be featured on the cover of Rolling Stones in June 2012.
- He has an intermittent series on his YouTube channel named ‘Coffee Run’ where he interviews celebrities while getting coffee from Tim Hortons. Some of the celebrities that have appeared on his show are Tommy Lee, Pharrell Williams, Russell Peters, and Zedd.
- On December 30, 2015, several of Deadmau5’s dedicated fans wearing his trademark mau5head were denied entry to his show. They tweeted a picture of themselves, and upon seeing it, deadmau5 spoke to the promoters and got them access.
Featured Image by Haydn Curtis / Flickr / CC BY 2.0