|Don Rickles Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 6 in|
|Date of Birth||May 8, 1926|
|Date of Death||April 6, 2017|
Don Rickles was an American stand-up comedian, actor, and voice artist who gained acclaim with his insult comedy. Also, he was cast in several films including Toy Story, Toy Story 2, Toy Story 3, Toy Story 4, The Rabbit Trap, X: The Man with the X-ray Eyes, The Rat Race, Muscle Beach Party, Pajama Party, Beach Blanket Bingo, The Money Jungle, Enter Laughing, Casino, Where It’s At, Dennis the Menace Strikes Again, Mr. Warmth: The Don Rickles Project, and Hawaiian Vacation.
Donald Jay Rickles
Don, Mr. Warmth, The Merchant of Venom, Glass Head
He was born on May 8, 1926.
On April 6, 2017, Don Rickles died of kidney failure at the age of 90 in Los Angeles, California, United States.
Mount Sinai Memorial Park Cemetery in Hollywood Hills, Los Angeles, California, United States
Queens, New York City, New York, United States
He resided in Los Angeles, California, United States.
Don Rickles studied at Newtown High School and graduated in 1944. Afterward, he attended the American Academy of Dramatic Arts.
Stand-up Comedian, Actor, Voice Artist
- Father – Max Rickles (1896–1952)
- Mother – Etta Rickles (née Feldman; 1898–1984)
- Others – Joseph Richter/Rickles (Paternal Grandfather), Frances Savage (Paternal Grandmother), Harry Feldman (Maternal Grandfather), Clara Landsberg (Maternal Grandmother), Ethan Mann (Grandson), Harrison Mann (Grandson)
Stand-up, Film, Television, Books
Observational Comedy, Insult Comedy, Black Comedy, Cringe Comedy, Shock Humor, Satire
American Culture, Racism, Self-deprecation, Everyday Life, Religion, Current Events
According to CelebrityNetWorth.com, he had a net worth of $30 Million.
5 ft 6 in or 167.5 cm
80 kg or 176.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Don Rickles dated –
- Barbara Sklar (1965-2017) – He got married to Barbara Sklar on March 14, 1965. He met her through his agent when he was 38 years old and fell for her when she failed to get his sense of humor. They were blessed with 2 children – a daughter named Mindy Rickles and a son named Larry Rickles (May 12, 1970 – December 3, 2011). Larry was 41 years old when he died of pneumonia. Barbara and Don Rickles remained together until his death in 2017. On March 14, 2021, Barbara passed away from non-Hodgkin lymphoma exactly 56 years after the couple married.
Race / Ethnicity
Don Rickles was of Ashkenazi Jewish descent.
Salt and Pepper
- Stocky frame
- Good-natured insulting of the audience and society in general
Don Rickles was cast in TV commercials for –
- Right Guard deodorant (1974)
- Diet 7 Up (with Lynda Carter) (1979)
- Anso V Worry-Free Carpet (1987)
- Bud Light beer (1997)
- Fidelity Investments (1998)
- Glad Drawstrings trash bags (2002)
- American Stroke Association (2005)
- Snickers candy bars (with Joe Pesci) (2011)
Don Rickles Facts
- He spent his childhood years growing up in Jackson Heights, a neighborhood in the northwestern part of the borough of Queens in New York City.
- Following his graduation from Newtown High School, he enlisted in the United States Navy. During World War II, he served on the motor torpedo boat tender USS Cyrene as a seaman first class and was later honorably discharged in 1946
- Don Rickles initially wanted to become an actor but he faced a lack of opportunities in the field so he started performing comedy in clubs in New York, Miami, and Los Angeles.
- He used to call ill-mannered members of the audience “hockey pucks”.
- He was nicknamed “Mr. Warmth” by Johnny Carson.
- Despite being a “lifelong” Democrat, Don Rickles performed at the inaugurations of Ronald Reagan and George H. W. Bush along with his friend Frank Sinatra.
- He once credited Milton Berle’s comedy style as his inspiration during an interview on Larry King Live.
- He was best friends with comedian and actor Bob Newhart and the duo often vacationed together along with their wives, who also shared a close bond.
- On October 17, 2000, Rickles was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Live Theatre at 6834 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California.
Featured Image by Joseph Scandore-management / eBay / Public Domain