Duncan Matthew James Inglis
Salisbury, Wiltshire, England, United Kingdom
Duncan James went to the Dumpton School. His grandfather was a music teacher at this school.
He was later enrolled at the Milldown School in Blandford Forum. After that, he got admission at the Corfe Hills School in Broadstone. He got his high school education from Sidmouth College in East Devon.
Singer, songwriter, and actor
- Father – Unknown
- Mother – Fiona Inglis
- Siblings – Julian (Paternal Half-Brother), Tara (Paternal Half-Sister)
Duncan James is managed by
- Paul DH Baylay.
- Gavin Barker of Gavin Barker Associates
- Paradigm Talent Agency
Pop rock, R&B
5 ft 11 in or 180 cm
84 kg or 185 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Duncan James has dated
- Kate Lawler – Duncan James had an affair with Big Brother winner Kate Lawler. On her part, she has maintained that she has only kissed Duncan and their equation never went ahead than that. However, in 2006, when James was asked that if he had ever slept with a fan, he replied that yes if you count Kate Lawler as his fan.
- Lee Ryan – For years, it was rumored that Duncan had homosexual affair with his fellow Blue member, Lee Ryan. They had sexually experimented while leaving in a flat towards the start of their music career. They were even reported to have gone together on vacations. These rumors gathered force in January 2014 after Lee revealed in Celebrity Big Brother’s episode that he has had been with a man.
- Dani Behr (2001) – Towards the end of 2001, James was reported to be dating TV host Dani Behr. They had met after she had interviewed his band for BBC1 kids’ program, The Saturday Show. After that meeting, they exchanged numbers and subsequently went out on a dinner as well before starting their relationship. She was aware of her reputation as serial celebrity dater and didn’t want to add to it by making her relationship with Duncan public.
- Kym Marsh (2002) – Duncan was reported to have had a fling with actress Kym Marsh in the early months of 2002. It was rumored that it was her idea of having some fun before her marriage to actor Jack Ryder in August 2002.
- Marie Serneholt (2002) – In the early months of 2002, Duncan was linked up with singer Marie Serneholt. However, their secret relationship didn’t last long as they found it difficult to cope with their conflicting schedules.
- Michelle Heaton (2002) – Duncan was reported to be in a relationship with actress and singer Michelle Heaton in April 2002. They later confirmed their relationship in different interviews. When asked in her interview, whether she has ever made out with a gay person, she replied by saying that she had some fun times with James. While he joked that kissing Heaton turned him gay.
- Martine McCutcheon (2002) – According to rumors, Duncan was hooking up with singer and TV personality Martine McCutcheon in August 2002.
- Geri Horner (2004) – Duncan was reported to be going out with singer Geri Horner in 2004. They appeared together at a couple of public events as well. However, their short lived affair was largely labeled as a PR exercise.
- Anya Lahiri (2001-2004) – James had an on and off affair with actress and singer Anya Lahiri for about 3 years. They first got together in 2001 but had broken up by March 2002. James blamed pressure created by media for their breakup. He alleged that every time he talked with another girl at a public event, it was reported that he was dating with that particular girl. And, Anya found it hard to cope with such rumors. By October 2003, they were giving their relationship another chance. They had remained friends even after the breakup and often used to meet up for drinks, during one such meeting, he managed to woo her back. By mid-2004, there were rumors that they had got engaged. However, a couple of months after such rumors, they decided to breakup for one final time.
- Claire Grainger (2004-2005) – Duncan started dating Claire Grainger in 2004. In February 2005, she gave birth to their daughter Tianie Finn. Although they have broken up, they remain close and are invested in the upbringing of their daughter. In April 2013, he even expressed wish to have a son with Grainger.
- Michelle Bass (2006) – Duncan was reported to have had a fling with TV personality Michelle Bass in 2006. These affair rumors were caused by their incessant flirting at a showbiz party in May 2006.
- Nikki Grahame (2006) – James started going out with British model and TV personality Nikki Grahame towards the start of 2006. However, their relationship had come to an end by the end of the year. James had got fed up of her tantrums and emotional outbursts at completely unexpected moments.
- Tara Palmer-Tomkinson (2008-2009) – Duncan started dating socialite Tara Palmer-Tomkinson in 2008. They were together for about a year and broke up in 2009. He was one of the firsts to pay tribute to her in February 2017 after she had passed away due to perforated ulcer and peritonitis.
Note – In 2017, he was reported to be in a relationship with an unidentified man. Duncan has opted to keep almost everything about his new beau secret. They made their relationship public in July after they stepped out together.
Race / Ethnicity
In a July 2009 interview with the News of the World, he had identified himself as a ‘bisexual’ man.
However, by 2012, he had started to identify himself as ‘gay’. In later interviews, he added that he still enjoyed sleeping with women but identified himself as a gay man.
- Good looks and ripped physique
- Often has slight stubble
His body specifications may be –
- Chest – 44 in or 112 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 16 in or 41 cm
- Waist – 35 in or 89 cm
Duncan James hasn’t done endorsement work for any brand.
James was raised in a strict Catholic household. Those early Catholic teachings made him anxious about his attraction to men as he felt he would be punished for his sins.
Best Known For
- Being a member of the popular English boy band, Blue, which are best known for the success of their studio album, One Love.
- Having played the role of Ryan Knight in the British soap opera, Hollyoaks.
In June 2006, he released his debut solo album, Future Past, which was only a mild success.
In November 2001, his band Blue released their debut studio album, All Rise, which managed to reach the very top of the UK Albums Chart and was even certified as 4× Platinum in the country.
Duncan hasn’t been cast in a theatrical movie till date.
First TV Show
In 2001, Duncan made his first TV show appearance in Snurre Snups søndagsklub as himself.
In 2012, Duncan hired a personal trainer, Scott Ashley, to help him whip his body into perfect shape. The initial goal was to bring body fat to below 10 percent while building muscle mass.
To achieve these goals, Scott prepared a workout routine that included resistance and weight training, endurance training, and high-intensity interval training. Overall, he was hitting the gym five times a week. Scott also included yoga in his workout regimen to make his body flexible and agile.
As per diet, he asked Duncan to cut sugar and wheat from the diet. Not only it helped him lose weight, it also energized him and made him more focused. Duncan focused on eating clean, which means he had to refrain from any processed food.
In 2016, he had to make changes in his workout routine because of a back injury (slipped disk which damaged a nerve as well). He returned to the gym in July 2017 after a hiatus of around a year and started working with another personal trainer, Darren Johnson to get his body back in perfect shape.
Duncan James Favorite Things
- Pub – The Orange Tree, Totteridge
- Food – Sushi and vegetables
- Chill Out Activity – Meditation
Source – The Guardian
Duncan James Facts
- James’s father abandoned his mother even before he was born. Hence, his mom raised James as a single parent. James’s paternal grandparents helped his mother in raising him.
- While in his teens, he was cast in the role of Dr. Watson in the Sherlock Holmes play held at the Sidmouth Youth University.
- He has also worked as a Havenmate for seaside vacation chain Haven Holidays at West Bay in Dorset and on the Isle of Wight.
- For The Prince’s Trust 30th Birthday: Live event, he served as a guest call taker for the donation phone calls.
- Before he became a member of the popular band Blue, he was a member of a band called Tantrum. Apart from him, there were two female members of the band.
- In 2013, he was declared bankrupt, which forced him to sell his house. He had put down his bankruptcy to property crash after he had bought homes for his daughter and ex, and his parents.
- His music band decided to break up in 2005 after five success-laden years. In 2009, they decided to get back together. Their first album after reformation was Roulette, which was released in January 2013 and also included band’s Eurovision entry single, I Can.
- Follow him on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Featured Image via Christoph Henrichs / Flickr / CC BY 2.0