|Erykah Badu Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||February 26, 1971|
Erykah Badu is an actress and musician who is a Grammy-winner. She is also an emerging neo soul leading artist. Many of her songs including her first album Baduizm received RIAA’s Platinum certification. She was nominated for a Screen Actors Guild Award and a Satellite Award in 2000. Erykah is an icon with a huge social media influence having over 4 million followers on Instagram, 3+ million on Twitter, and 4+ million on Facebook.
Erica Abi Wright
Erykah Badu, MC Apples, Loretta Brown
Dallas, Texas, United States
- Dallas, Texas, United States
- Fort Greene, New York, United States
Erykah Badu completed her high school from the Booker T. Washington High School for the Performing and Visual Arts in Dallas, Texas.
She then joined Grambling State University in Grambling, Louisiana to study theater. However, she left the course to concentrate on her music career in 1993.
Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer, Disc Jockey, Activist, Actress
- Father – William Wright Jr.
- Mother – Kolleen Maria Wright (Actress)
- Siblings – Eevin Wright (Brother), Nayrok Wright (Younger Sister)
Erykah Badu is managed by Cara Lewis of Creative Artists Agency, New York City, New York, USA.
Neo Soul, R&B, Funk, Psychedelic Soul, Hip Hop, Electronic
Vocals, Keyboards, Guitar, Drums, Theremin, Drum Machine
- Kedar Recording Company
- Universal Records
- Motown Recording Company
- Control FreaQ
5 ft or 152 cm
53 kg or 117 lbs
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Erykah Badu has dated
- Cytherea – Erykah was rumored to be linked with the female adult film star Cytherea in the past.
- André Benjamin (1996-1997) – For a year, beginning in 1996, she was romantically involved with musician André Benjamin (aka André 3000). They have a son named Seven Sirius Benjamin (b. November 18, 1999). But sadly they split up.
- Common (2000-2002) – From 2000 to 2002, she was in a relationship with actor and rapper Common. There were even engagement rumors for some time.
- The D.O.C. (2002-2003) – Between 2002 and 2003, she had a brief affair with rapper The D.O.C. They are also the proud parents of a daughter Puma Sabti Curry (b. July 5, 2004).
- Jay Electronica (2004-2009) – In 2004, Erykah started dating fellow rapper Jay Electronica. They have a daughter Mars Merkaba Thedford (b. February 1, 2009). However, things did not work out for them and they broke up in 2009.
- Carl Jones (2013) – In 2013, Erykah hooked up with Carl Jones. She had shared pictures of them on her social media account.
Race / Ethnicity
Her lineage was traced to Cameroon.
Dark Brown (Natural)
- High forehead
- Curly hair
- Often wears rings on her nose and lips
Erykah Badu has endorsed brands like –
- Lillian Shalom Jewelry
- Curet nails
- RTH Shop
- Chinatown Market
- Jules Kim costume
In 2001, she did a print advertisement for The GAP.
Best Known For
- Her raspy vocals and for producing hit albums one after the other which include Baduizm (1997), Mama’s Gun (2000), Worldwide Underground (2003), New Amerykah Part One (2008), and New Amerykah Part Two (2010)
- Her popular songs like “On & On”, “Bag Lady”, “Love of My Life (An Ode to Hip-Hop)”, “Next Lifetime”, “Otherside of the Game”, “Honey” and “Soldier”, among others
On February 11, 1997, her debut album Baduizm was released with Kedar and Universal Records. The album had 14 tracks and was a huge success receiving 3x Platinum certification from the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA).
In 1998, she made her theatrical film debut in the action comedy film Blues Brothers 2000 as Queen Moussette.
First TV Show
In 1997, Erykah made her first TV show appearance in the musical talk show Soul Train.
Erykah Badu practices yoga and meditation.
As for her diet, she prefers a clean healthy diet. She drinks plenty of water and green juice.
Erykah Badu Favorite Things
- Place To Shop – RTH Shop
- Place In The World – The present moment
- All-Time Favorite Albums – The Dark Side of the Moon (by Pink Floyd), That’s the Way of the World (by Earth Wind & Fire)
- All-Time Favorite Movie – The Goodbye Girl (1977)
Source – Instagram, UsMagazine.com
Erykah Badu Facts
- She and her siblings were raised by her mother after her father left them when they were little.
- She gave her first performance at the age of 4 at the Dallas Theater Center and The Black Academy of Arts and Letters (TBAAL).
- She changed her name to Erykah as she believed Erica was a “slave name” while her last name “Badu” is adopted from the jazz scat sound.
- Growing up, she wanted to be a rapper and be named ‘MC Apples’.
- At 14, she was already doing freestyle rapping on a radio station, KNON in Dallas.
- She is greatly influenced by the music of Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Chaka Khan, and Roberta Flack.
- In 1998, she was included in People magazine’s 50 Most Beautiful People list.
- She has been a vegan since her high school days in 1989.
- She founded a non-profit organization called B.L.I.N.D. (Beautiful Love Incorporated Non-Profit Development) in 2003.
- She practices many things including a doula, iridology, reiki, color therapy, chakra balancing, energy cleanings, and pendulum readings.
- In 2005, Erykah Badu launched her own recording label Control FreaQ.
- If she could host another awards show, she would like to host a new one like The Unsung Awards. It would be for behind-the-scenes people such as Best Beauty Shop Crew, etc.
- Badu once again would go n*ked in public for a cause like world peace.
- The small intestine is the best part of her body.
- She never gets embarrassed.
- Erykah is impatient when she deals with other people.
- Erykah is obsessed with watching The Office.
- She doesn’t have any favorites of her own songs.
- She knows the entire theme song of Felix the Cat.
- Erykah owns over 725 head wraps.
- Billy Dee Williams is her celebrity crush.
- Her colon is her least favorite body part.
- Toast with margarine is something she would like to have as her last meal.
- She has never worn white after Labor Day.
- Her biggest phobia is being afraid.
- She has more than 7,200 pieces of ankh jewelry.
- She doesn’t have any favorite rapper.
- Badu jokingly says the best thing about her ex Andre 3000 is that his paychecks never bounce.
- She has the habit of fasting before a photoshoot.
- Both her grandmothers are her idols.
- Visit her official website @erykah-badu.com.
Featured Image by Radiobums / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0
She dated a grown-up actress a long time ago. That doesn’t make her straight. Please correct this.
I’m waiting. She’s is bisexual because she dated Cytherea an adult film actress. Bisexual I repeat bisexual. Not hetero/straight. Answer me back Editorial Staff.
There has been no confirmation from Erykah about her sexuality being ‘Bisexual’. She no doubt has been linked with a female personality before but that was not too confirmed by either of them. Hence, she has been written ‘Straight’.