|Jeff Bridges Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||December 4, 1949|
Jeff Bridges is an American actor, singer, composer, voiceover artist, and producer who is regarded as one of the most prominent actors of his generation and has given critically-acclaimed performances in shows and movies such as Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, Hell or High Water, The Last Picture Show, Crazy Heart, True Grit, Starman, The Contender, A Dog Year, Bad Times at the El Royale, Tron: Legacy, The Fabulous Baker Boys, The Fisher King, Iron Man, The Big Lebowski, and others. Over the years, he has also won a number of awards including an Academy Award.
Jeffrey Leon Bridges
Jeff, The Dude
Los Angeles, California, United States
Santa Barbara, California, United States
Jeff studied at Palisades Charter High School followed by University High Secondary School in West Los Angeles and graduated in 1967.
Thereafter, he toured with his father’s stage production, Anniversary Waltz. As soon as that came to a close, Jeff moved to New York City to study acting at Herbert Berghof Studio based in Greenwich village.
Upon turning 18, he joined the United States Coast Guard Reserve and served for 7 years. In between service, Jeff took up the family profession as an actor in 1970.
Actor, Singer, Composer, Producer, Voiceover Artist
- Father – Lloyd Vernet Bridges Jr. (1913–1998) (Actor)
- Mother – Dorothy Louise Simpson (1915–2009) (Actress, Poet)
- Siblings – Lloyd Vernet Bridges III aka Beau Bridges (Older Brother) (Actor), Garrett Myles Bridges (Older Brother) (Died soon after birth), Lucinda Louise Bridges aka Cindy Bridges (Younger Sister) (Actress, Artist)
- Others – Lloyd Vernet Bridges (Paternal Grandfather), Harriet Evelyn “Hattie” Brown (Paternal Grandmother), Frederick Walter Simpson (Maternal Grandfather), Louise Myles (Maternal Grandmother), Casey Bridges (Nephew) (Former Actor), Jordan Bridges (Nephew) (Actor), Emily Beau Bridges (Niece) (Actress), Dylan Lloyd Bridges (Nephew) (Actor), Ezekiel Jeffrey “Zeke” Bridges (Nephew) (Actor), Marcel Bridges (Nephew) (Actor), Grace Louise Bridges-Boesch (Granddaughter)
Jeff Bridges has been signed with these agencies –
- Rick Kurtzman, Creative Artists Agency (CAA) (Agency)
- David L. Schiff, The Schiff Company, West Hollywood, California (Manager)
- Liz Dalling, Special Artists Agency (Voice) (Agency)
- Jean Sievers, CO5 Media, Los Angles, California (Publicist)
- Robert S. Wallerstein, Hirsch Wallerstein Hayum Matlof and Fishman, (Legal Representation)
Country, Folk-Rock, Soul-Pop
Ramp Records, Blue Note Records
6 ft 1 in or 185 cm
86 kg or 190 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jeff Bridges has dated –
- Cybil Shepherd (1971) – The actress revealed in an interview that she had a brief affair with Jeff Bridges who was her co-star in her first feature film project, The Last Picture Show (1971).
- Candy Clark (1972–1973) – Jeff and Candy met on the sets of Fat City (1972). The actress confirmed dating him during that time, while Jeff also revealed that they moved in together in his Malibu house. They dated on and off until Jeff met his wife-to-be.
- Valerie Perrine (1973) – The actress revealed that during her second movie project, The Last American Hero (1973), her co-star Jeff became infatuated with her and insisted she move in with him. He asked Candy, his then live-in girlfriend to move out to make space for Valerie. But, once the filming of the movie got over, Jeff’s infatuation wore off and he rekindled his relationship with Candy.
- Farrah Fawcett (1977) – Although both Jeff and Farrah were married to other people at that time, there were rumors in the tabloids that Jeff and Farrah had an affair while shooting for the movie, Somebody Killed Her Husband (1978). The actress was also linked to the tennis player, Vince Van Patten at the same time. Since Farrah’s personal life was in major turmoil, it cannot be determined if there was any truth to these rumors.
- Susan Geston (1975–Present) – Jeff Bridges first saw his wife-to-be on location while shooting for Rancho Deluxe (1975) at Chico Hot Springs, Montana. Susan was going about her daily duties while working as a maid there and had a badly bruised face due to a car accident she met with a day before. Despite that, Jeff found her breathtakingly beautiful. When he asked her out, Susan declined by saying that she would get to know him better if they met again. Sure enough, they came across each other again during one of the forthcoming evenings at a local bar. The next day, Jeff asked his real estate agent to give him a tour of a local ranch house and asked Susan to come along to offer her opinion, which was his excuse to spend more time with her. Once filming was over, Jeff asked Susan to move in with him. After two years of living together, Susan wanted to get married and have kids and was ready to go back to her hometown. She was aware of Jeff’s fear of losing his freedom owing to marriage and hence asked him to make a choice. Not wanting to lose the love of his life, Jeff instantly proposed and got married to Susan on the nearest weekend in 1977. Four decades on, their marriage is still going strong and together, the couple has three daughters: Isabelle Annie Bridges (b. August 1981), Jessica Lily “Jessie” Bridges (b. June 1983), and Hayley Roselouise Bridges (b. October 1985).
Race / Ethnicity
Paternally, Jeff has English, Scottish, and Northern Irish ancestry.
Maternally, he has English, Irish, Swiss and German lineage.
His hair is entirely gray now.
However, his natural hair color used to be somewhere between light brown and dark blonde.
- Ruggedly handsome
- Prominent forehead lines and laugh lines.
- Sharp nose
- Small hooded eyes
11 (US) or 10 (UK) or 44 (EU)
- Shot a series of commercials with New England Patriots quarterback, Tom Brady for Ugg Shoe Company (2016).
- Super Bowl commercial for Squarespace (2015).
- Brand ambassador of Marc O’Polo apparel (2013–2014).
- TV Commercial for Hyundai Equus, Hyundai Azera with Blue-Link and 429 HP Genesis R-type. (February 2012)
- Voiceover for Baptist Memorial Hospitals in Memphis TV Commercial (2010).
- Also gave voice to the TV commercials for:
- Duracell batteries
- Ameriquest Mortgage Company
- Hyundai (2007) – “Commitment“
Brought up Christian, but deeply influenced by the values of Buddhism.
Best Known For
- Won the best actor Academy Award for playing Otis Blake in Crazy Heart (2009)
- Jeff’s role as Max Klein in Fearless (1993) won major critical acclaim and was deemed as one of his best performances even though the movie only made 7 million at the box office.
- Jeffrey Lebowski in The Big Lebowski (1998) which earned the actor a permanent nickname of ‘The Dude’. The movie became a cult favorite.
As a Singer
9 tracks in a studio album called Be Here Soon released in 2000.
In 1951, Jeff played an infant role (child actor) in the drama film The Company She Keeps.
But, Jeff’s first film role as an adult was that of Douglas / Doug in Halls of Anger (1970).
First TV Show
As a child actor, he made an appearance on 4 episodes of the action-adventure series, Sea-Hunt from 1958 to 1960.
- Jeff admits that he often struggles to maintain a healthy weight which tends to fluctuate frequently. Nevertheless, he works hard to maintain his fitness because being overweight does not feel good to him at all.
- Under the guidance of Dr. Eric Goodman, Jeff follows a daily routine of non-strenuous functional, mobility drills to maintain good physical movement in his body.
- He also meditates every day to stay positive and maintain a clear head.
- With the assistance of his wife, Jeff consciously consumes more locally grown, organic whole foods.
Jeff Bridges Favorite Things
- Role – Jeffrey ‘The Dude’ Lebowski in The Big Lebowski (1998)
- Some Of His Favorite Movies – Citizen Kane (1941), American Heart (1992), Fearless (1993), Billy Budd (1962)
- City Outside California – Livingston, Montana
- Hotel – The Biltmore Hotel, Santa Barbara
- Retreat – The Sacred Space, Summerland, California
- Foreign Phrase – Ich bin ein Schauspieler (I am an actor in German)
- Dry fruit – Cashews
- Guilty Pleasure – Smoking cigars
- Activity to Unwind – Long walks and meditation
Jeff Bridges Facts
- He started acting as a kid because he got to skip school and earn an allowance to buy toys.
- Jeff looks up to his older brother, Beau as a father figure because being 8 years older than him, he guided him through a lot of things in life growing up when their father was busy with work.
- He is very fond of painting, sculpting, and gardening.
- During the 2016 US Presidential Election, Jeff Bridges was a supporter of Hillary Clinton.
- While shooting on the sets of Rancho Deluxe, a crew member captured the moment when Jeff met his wife for the first time. He started carrying that picture with him everywhere.
- Particularly during his youth, Jeff had this indecisive quality where he felt scared of making a commitment even when he felt sure of something. His mother named this tendency of his, Abulia (a mental illness of people who are unable to make up their mind).
- Some of his friends include Nick Nolte, Gary Busey, Terry Gilliam, John Carpenter, Kris Kristofferson, Tommy Lee Jones, and Kurt Russell.
- Jeff is an amateur photographer since high school. Since 1980, he started capturing still photos on his movie sets with his then favorite camera, Widelux F8.
- He hosted Saturday Night Live in 1983 and 2010 and holds the record for the longest gap between two appearances as a host.
- On August 16, 2011, he released his self-titled debut album which included songs like Maybe I Missed the Point, Blue Car, What a Little Bit of Love Can Do, Everything But Love, and Falling Short. Also, it was ranked at number #2 on the US Billboard Top Folk Albums chart and at number #5 on the US Billboard Top Rock Albums chart.
- He co-authored a book with Bernie Glassman called The Dude and The Zenmaster first published in November 2012.
- Jeff is a spokesman for the No Kid Hungry campaign since 2010 and frequently supports environmental causes as well.
- The role of Jack played by Keanu Reeves in Speed (1994) was written for Jeff Bridges but he turned it down.
- He also turned down to play the lead in Pretty Woman (1990) and An Officer and a Gentleman (1982) that was eventually played by Richard Gere.
- In October 2020, Jeff revealed that he was diagnosed with lymphoma (cancer). Jeff later revealed that he was in remission after months of treatment.
- He has been a huge fan of Brian Wilson, Robert Ryan, Lee Marvin, and The Beach Boys.
- He got a new puppy named Monty in late 2020.
- In January 2021, it was revealed that he had been tested positive for COVID-19.
- In January 2023, Jeff was honored with the “Lifetime Achievement Award” at the Critics Choice Awards.