Jenny Sarah Slate
Milton, Massachusetts, USA
Los Angeles, California, USA
Jenny finished her high school education from the prestigious Milton Academy based on the outskirts of Boston and was a class valedictorian.
For college education, she chose to study for a degree in English Literature in Columbia University simply because it was located in the middle of New York City. She graduated in 2004.
Actress, Comedienne, Author, Voice-Over artist
- Father – Ron Slate (Corporate Executive / Businessman, CEO of a Biotech Company, Published Poet)
- Mother – Nancy Slate née Gilson (Ceramicist / Raku Potter)
- Siblings – Abigail / Abby (Older Sister) (Nurse-Practitioner in Massachusetts), Stacey Slate (Younger Sister) (Mental Health Counselor in Brooklyn, New York)
Jenny is repped by –
- William Morris Endeavor LLC (WME)
- Brillstein Entertainment Partners
- 3 Arts Entertainment
- Josh Sandler at Gray Krauss Stratford Sandler Des Rochers, New York (Legal Representation)
5 ft 4¼ in or 163 cm
55 kg or 121 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Jenny Slate has dated –
- Dean Fleischer-Camp (2010–2016) – Jenny met film editor and director Dean while collaborating on projects when she was still a working actress based in Brooklyn, New York. Their relationship got stronger with time and the couple moved in together in 2010 after relocating to Los Angeles. They subsequently got married in 2012. By 2016, frequent disagreements drifted the couple apart. Jenny stated that she did not want their mutual differences to create such a big divide that it became impossible for them to collaborate professionally in the future. In order to preserve their professional relationship and friendship, Dean and Jenny agreed to split amicably.
- Chris Evans (2016–2017) – Jenny met actor Chris Evans while fighting for a role in Gifted (2017). The role she was auditioning for was a small part, in a major studio movie that she wanted to acquire to gain professional visibility. Both Chris and Jenny were surprised by the natural camaraderie they shared during their first chemistry read. While filming Gifted, Chris hosted game nights for the entire cast and crew of the movie. Since it had only been a couple of months since Jenny separated from her husband, she was not interested in social gatherings and preferred moping in loneliness. But, Chris’s enthusiasm won her over. It also helped that Jenny was competitive and frequently won many games. It uncovered a lot of shared interests between Chris and Jenny. After 9 months of dating, they broke up because Jenny could not handle the stress of all the attention Chris Evans faced on a day to day basis.
- Jon Hamm (2017) – In June 2017, Jenny was spotted on a movie date with actor Jon Hamm in New York City setting off speculation that the two might be dating.
Race / Ethnicity
She has Russian, Turkish, Polish and Austrian ancestry.
- Slender Face
- Sharp Nose
- Vaguely resembles Glee’s Lea Michele and Broad City’s Ilana Glazer and often mistaken for them.
Jenny modeled for a Los Angeles based brand called Day Space Night in 2016.
She also signed an endorsement deal with Gap alongside actor Paul Dano to showcase their spring 2015 collection on Instagram by posting a 15-second video for 12 consecutive weeks.
Best Known For
- Conceptualizing, creating and giving voice to the animated character of Marcel in the 3 part short animated movie Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (2010, 2011 and 2014) and published a children’s book on the same character in 2011.
- Won massive critical acclaim for her lead role of Donna Stern in Obvious Child (2014).
- Other than that, Jenny is frequently cast in recurring roles in several prime time TV shows but has become a Hollywood favorite as a voice-over artist. She was a part of blockbuster projects such as:
- Zootopia (2016)
- The Secret Life of Pets (2016)
- The Lego Batman Movie (2017)
- Despicable Me 3 (2017)
Cast as Zoe in the animated comedy film Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked (2011).
First TV Show
Jenny’s first stint on a TV show was an uncredited role in Starved (2005).
Her first credited character was that of a girl in an episode of Honesty in 2007.
In an interview, Jenny stated that she is very fond of reading food magazines such as Cook’s Illustrated, Food and Wine, Bon Appetit, Saveur and occasionally liked reading a fitness magazine as well. However, exact details about her exercise and diet regime are not known.
Jenny Slate Favorite Things
- Dessert – Donut
- Foreign Film – French movie L’Argent De Poche (Pocket Money Small Change) (1976)
- Movies – Crossing Delancy (1988), Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird (1985), Field of Dreams (1989), A League of Their Own (1992)
- Magazine – The New Yorker
- Social Media App – Twitter
- News Medium – Radio
- Radio Channel – 89.3 KPCC radio station in Los Angeles
- Bedtime Ritual – Reading
- TV Show – Saturday Night Live, Golden Girls
- Reality Show – The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills
- Food – Steak Tartare
- Animal – Dogs
Jenny Slate Facts
- Jenny revealed that as soon as she entered college, she quickly changed from a studious young girl to a pothead.
- She kept smoking weed after college too and then at bedtime.
- Despite her former track record as a brilliant student, Jenny spent less time studying at Columbia University and invested completely in improv and sketch comedy groups such as Two Left Feet, Fruit Paunch, and the Weiner Philharmonic. Here, she met Gabe Liedman who later became her comedy partner.
- Jenny admitted in an interview that she is not capable of staying single for long. She has dived into one relationship from another for most of her life.
- She was cast on Saturday Night Live from 2009 to 2010. While enacting one of the sketches, she accidentally uttered the word F****** during live broadcast due to which her employment contract was not renewed for the following season.
- Jenny accidentally conceived the popular animated character of Marcel while making funny voices to entertain her ex-husband, Dean. Since Dean was committed to putting together a short clip for a comedy show due in 5 days, he used her voice to create an animated clip which was loved by the audience.
- She thinks the best part of being in the entertainment industry is to have professionals put make-up on her face.
- On the other hand, Jenny finds the worst part of being an actor is getting jostled by costume designers and their assistants during dress fittings.
- According to Jenny, having a constant need for attention, being the middle child among her siblings is subconsciously the main reason why she was driven towards a career in showbiz.
- Jenny dislikes using a computer and prefers reading books. She easily gets stressed while browsing through her Twitter feed as well.
- She likes getting her everyday dose of news on the radio.
- To find out more about the actress, follow her on Twitter and Instagram.
Featured Image by Mingle Media TV / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0