|Jodie Foster Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||November 19, 1962|
Jodie Foster is a critically-acclaimed American actor, director, and producer who is credited as one of the best actors of her generation. Throughout her career, she has been a recipient of several accolades which include two Academy Awards, three British Academy Film Awards, three Golden Globe Awards, and the honorary Cecil B. DeMille Award. In 1976, she had her breakthrough with Martin Scorsese‘s psychological thriller Taxi Driver in which she played a child prostitute and this performance got her nominated for the Academy Award for “Best Supporting Actress”. She is also known for her work in movies like The Silence of the Lambs, Nell, The Mauritanian, The Accused, The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane, Elysium, Freaky Friday, Maverick, Carny, The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys, Foxes, Sommersby, Anna and the King, Candleshoe, Contact, A Very Long Engagement, Flightplan, The Brave One, Inside Man, Panic Room, Hotel Artemis, Carnage, Nim’s Island, Tom Sawyer, Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore, and The Hotel New Hampshire. She was inducted into the Hollywood Walk of Fame in 2016 with a motion pictures star located at 6927 Hollywood Boulevard and received the Honorary Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival on July 6, 2021. Moreover, People magazine named her the most beautiful woman in the world in 1992, Entertainment Weekly named her 57th on their list of “100 Greatest Movie Stars of All Time” in 1996, and she was voted Number 23 in Channel 4’s countdown of the “100 Greatest Movie Stars of All Time” in 2003.
Alicia Christian Foster
Los Angeles, California, United States
Jodie Foster lives in a Spanish-style villa in Los Angeles, California.
Jodie Foster studied at the Lycée Français de Los Angeles, which is a French-language preparatory school.
She later got enrolled at the Yale University in New Haven. She graduated magna cum laude from the university in 1985 with a major in literature. She wrote her graduation thesis on Toni Morrison.
Actor, producer, and director
- Father – Lucius Fisher Foster III (Real Estate Broker and decorated U.S. Air Force Lieutenant Colonel)
- Mother – Evelyn Ella “Brandy” Almond
- Siblings – Lucinda “Cindy” Foster (Older Sister), Constance “Connie” Foster (Older Sister), Lucius Fisher “Buddy” Foster IV (Older Brother) (Former Child Actor and Author). She also has 3 older half-brothers from her father’s previous relationship.
- Others – Lucius Fisher Foster (Paternal Grandfather), Constance Marie Robertson (Paternal Grandmother), Josie Almond (Biological Maternal Grandmother), Lucy M. (Lefler) Almond (Adoptive Maternal Grandmother), John Clinton Almond (Adoptive Maternal Grandfather)
Jodie Foster is represented by Beverly Hills-based Viewpoint, Inc. (Publicist).
In 2020, her net worth was $100 Million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 3 in or 160 cm
51 kg or 112.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Jodie Foster has dated –
- Jamie Lee Curtis – The American tabloids have often claimed that Foster has had a romantic relationship with actor Jamie Lee Curtis. Although it can’t be verified whether they have any romantic equation, it is well known that Jodie and Jamie are very close friends. In fact, Curtis was involved in an accident in August 2013 in Venice Beach, the first person she called was Foster, who appeared at the accident scene in a matter of minutes.
- Gillian Anderson – The actor and writer Gillian Anderson is another close friend of Jodie with whom she is rumored to be having a romantic equation in the past.
- Gina Schock – Foster reportedly dated drummer Gina Schock, who was also a member of all-woman rock band The Go-Go, in the mid-eighties. Schock often used to speak about her good friend Foster in her interviews in that period.
- Tina Landau – Jodie was reported to have dated theatre director Tina Landau in the early 80s. They had met at the Yale University and Landau had served as the director in a couple of school productions that Jodie was often cast in. They reportedly dated for a couple of years.
- Nastassja Kinski (1982-1983) – Foster started dating actor Nastassja Kinski in 1982. It was claimed that their relationship was nothing more than a fling as Foster was also involved with Landau at that time. They decided to go separate ways in mid-1983. They later got together to work in the movie, The New Hampshire.
- Jennifer Beals (1983-1986) – In 1983, Jodie started dating actor and former model Jennifer Beals. They weren’t too reserved about their relationship and were spotted together in the public on a number of occasions. They decided to end their relationship by mutual consent in 1986.
- Rob Lowe (1984) – Foster was rumored to be going with actor Rob Lowe in 1984. It was claimed that they had grown close while working on the movie, The Hotel New Hampshire. However, their relationship didn’t last beyond a couple of months.
- Marco Pasanella – The American tabloids linked Jodie Foster with author Marco Pasanella in the latter half of the eighties. They had been spotted together on numerous occasions, which further fanned their dating rumors. They had been seen jetting in together at the Los Angeles airport on a couple of occasions.
- Julian Sands (1987-1988) – Jodie started going out with British actor Julian Sands in 1987. They had worked together in the movie, Siesta and while enacting romantic scenes in the erotic drama, they had fallen for each other. Their relationship was sort of confirmed by her brother Buddy who claimed that Jodie was smitten by Sands. It has been long speculated that Sands is the secret father of her sons – Charles, who was born in 1998, and Christopher, who was born in 2001.
- Kelly McGillis (1988) – In 1988, Jodie was reported to be dating actor Kelly McGillis. They had met on the sets of the courtroom drama, The Accused. They had fallen in love while working in the movie.
- Russell Crowe (2000) – In 2000, Jodie was linked with actor Russell Crowe. They had reportedly met at a Hollywood party, which had eventually resulted in a date. They had attended the Golden Globe Awards in 2000 together. Then, they were seen kissing and hugging while shopping for music CDs on Sunset Boulevard in Los Angeles.
- Cydney Bernard (1993-2008) – As per reports, Jodie started dating producer Cydney Bernard in 1993. Jodie is known for her preference for keeping her personal life away from the spotlight and she sought to keep her relationship with Bernard completely secret. She spoke about their relationship for the first time in December 2007 nearly 14 years after the start of their relationship as she thanked Cydney for her support in a gathering of Hollywood stars. However, their relationship didn’t survive long after being made public as they separated by the summer of the following year. Foster had allegedly fallen for another woman and Bernard, who had given up her career to support Foster and raise their two sons, was heartbroken.
- Cynthia Mort (2008) – In 2008, it was reported that Jodie had dumped Cydney Bernard because she had got involved with scriptwriter Cynthia Mort. They had met in 2006 on the sets of the movie The Brave One. Cynthia was attached to the project as a scriptwriter. Their relationship had really heated up in 2007 and by the summer of 2008, she was all set to move in with Foster.
- Alexandra Hedison (2013-Present) – Jodie Foster started dating actor and director Alexandra Hedison in 2013. They took their relationship to the next level the following year by getting married in a private and low-key ceremony. Unlike her previous relationships, Jodie had made a lot more public appearances with Hedison.
- In his autobiography, Jodie’s brother Buddy claimed that in her teens, she had an affair with a French male student, whom she had met in Tahiti. He also claimed that she had hooked up with a male tennis star.
Race / Ethnicity
Jodie Foster is of English, some Scots-Irish/Northern Irish, and German descent.
She has had bisexual relationships all her life.
However, in 2013, she came out as a lesbian.
- Toned figure
- Husky voice
- Blue eyes
Jodie Foster has appeared in the TV commercials for the following brands –
- Honda (Japan)
- Crest toothpaste
- Keri Products (Japan)
- Morinaga Caffe Latte (in Japan)
- One a Vitamins
- GAF View-Master
- Small Shots Toy
She identifies herself as an atheist.
However, she tries to educate her children about different religions, which includes celebrating various festivals.
Best Known For
- Being cast in the lead role of a rape survivor in the courtroom drama movie, The Accused. She won critical acclaim for her work and also won Academy Award and Golden Globe Award along with several other accolades.
- Having played the role of Clarice Starling in the crime drama movie, The Silence of the Lambs.
- Having appeared in popular movies such as Inside Man, Panic Room, and Elysium.
In 1972, Jodie made her theatrical film debut in the lead role in the adventure drama movie, Napoleon and Samantha. At the time of the release of the movie, she was 9 years old.
First TV Show
In 1968, Jodie Foster made her first TV show appearance in “The Church Play” episode of the American series, Mayberry R.F.D.
Jodie Foster relies on the Pilates workout sessions to keep her figure toned even at an advanced age. She has made it a point to go for her workout sessions on a daily basis. It is her Pilates sessions that have been credited for her toned arms.
To complement her workout regime, she relies on healthy food options. She especially prefers to go for whole foods.
Jodie Foster Favorite Things
- Actors – Paul Newman, Robert De Niro, Marlon Brando, and Humphrey Bogart
- Actresses – Jane Fonda, Meryl Streep, Diane Keaton, and Katharine Hepburn
- Movies – The 400 Blows (1959), The Deer Hunter (1978)
Source – IMDb
Jodie Foster Facts
- She got her first big breakthrough with her role as a teenage prostitute in the drama thriller, Taxi Driver. Jodie even won an Academy Award nomination for her work in the movie.
- In 1995, she was placed on the 45th spot in the list featuring “100 Sexiest Stars in Film History”, which was compiled by the Empire Magazine.
- While shooting for her debut movie Napoleon and Samantha, she was involved in a horrific accident as she was attacked by a lion. The lion briefly carried her in his mouth.
- She was cast in the crime drama movie, Double Jeopardy, but she had to drop out of the project due to her pregnancy.
- In October 2007, Jodie was placed by Empire Magazine on the 18th spot on the list featuring “The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time”.
- Jodie Foster made her acting debut at the age of 3 as she was cast in the TV commercial for Coppertone Suntan Lotion. Originally, her brother Buddy was to be cast in the commercial but her mother also took her along and the casting team decided to cast her.
- She was offered a role in the 1989 movie, Me and Rubyfruit twice. But she opted to turn down the offer on both occasions.
- Jodie won’t have got her role in the iconic movie The Silence of the Lambs if Michelle Pfeiffer hadn’t turned it down in the first place.
- When she was studying at the Yale University, she was stalked by John Hinckley, who had become obsessed with her after watching her performance in the cult movie, Taxi Driver.
- In March 1981, Hinckley tried to assassinate US President Ronald Reagan. He failed in his attempt but managed to injure Reagan and three others. In aftermath of the incident, he claimed that he had attempted assassination to impress Foster.
- While at Yale, she had other stalkers as well. One of her stalkers, Edward Richardson, even wanted to kill her but changed his mind after watching her perform in the college play.
- Jodie was selected as a last-minute replacement for Nicole Kidman, who had injured herself, for the role of Meg Altman in Panic Room.
- The producers of Pretty Woman had considered her for the role of Vivian Ward before deciding to go with Julia Roberts.
- In 1992, she established her production house, Egg Pictures. The first production project was the 1994 movie, Nell, in which she was cast in the lead role and she got an Academy Award nomination for her work in the movie. Jodie shut the company down in 2001 as she wanted to spend more time with her children.
- In 2002, she was featured by the People magazine in the “50 Most Beautiful People in the World” list.
- In 1998, an asteroid was named after her. The asteroid was called “17744 Jodiefoster”.
- She was under consideration for the role of Viola de Lesseps in the romantic drama, Shakespeare in Love. However, the role eventually went to Gwyneth Paltrow.
- She was offered the role of Annie Reed in the romantic drama Sleepless in Seattle. But she wasn’t impressed with the project and the role went to Meg Ryan.
- Jodie managed to see off competition from 18,000 other applicants to bag her role in the cult hit, Taxi Driver. The movie’s screenwriter Paul Schrader had insisted on signing an unknown actor for the role.
- She is multilingual and apart from English is very fluent in French and insists on dubbing her characters in French versions of her movies. Jodie has a partial grasp of Italian, German, and Spanish too.
- She was offered the role of Catherine Tramell in the popular crime drama, Basic Instinct. When she turned it down, they decided to cast Sharon Stone in the role.
- She was initially under consideration to play Princess Leia Organa in Star Wars: Episode IV – A New Hope. But then, George Lucas decided to use an older version of the character in the movie.
- In May 2016, Jodie was honored with her Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at the iconic 6927 Hollywood Boulevard.
- She is a staunch democrat and a very vocal supporter of gun control.
- At the 70th Golden Globe Awards, Jodie was honored with the honorary Cecil B. DeMille Award.
- In 1993, she was invited by the Yale University to address the graduating class. In 1997, she was honored with an honorary Doctor of Fine Arts degree.
- The British rock band Asia has created a song dedicated to her by the title of Alibis.
- The Premiere Magazine had placed her performance as Sarah Tobias in The Accused on the 56th spot in the list featuring 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
- In 2021, she won the Golden Globe Award for “Best Supporting Movie Actress” for her role in The Mauritanian (2021).
- Along with her spouse Alexandra, Jodie has a dog named Ziggy.
- During the 2021 Cannes Film Festival, she was honored with a lifetime achievement Palme d’Or.
- She doesn’t have any social media account.
Featured Image by Georges Biard / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0
Well finally an actress that I am taller than, by an inch. Jodie does, however, outweigh me! (8 pounds!)