|Joe Alwyn Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 1 in|
|Date of Birth||February 21, 1991|
Joe Alwyn is an English actor who is known for his on-screen roles such as Samuel Masham in The Favourite, Robert Dudley in Mary Queen of Scots, Billy Lynn in Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, Gideon Brodess in Harriet, Henry Wallace in Boy Erased, Adrian Finn in The Sense of an Ending, Bob Cratchit in A Christmas Carol, and Klaus Eichmann in Operation Finale.
Joseph Matthew Alwyn
Joe, William Bowery
Tunbridge Wells, Kent, England, United Kingdom
London, England, United Kingdom
Joe Alwyn went to the City of London School. He was also enrolled at the University of Bristol, where he studied drama and English literature.
After graduating from the university in 2012, he joined the Royal Central School of Speech & Drama.
After a brief halt in studies due to a film project, he graduated in 2015 with a bachelor’s of art (Hons) degree in acting.
- Father – Richard Alwyn (Documentary Filmmaker)
- Mother – Elizabeth (Author, Columnist, Psychoanalytic Psychotherapist)
- Siblings – Patrick Alwyn (Younger Brother), Thomas Alwyn (Younger Brother)
- Others – Jonathan Alwyn (Paternal Grandfather) (Director, Producer), Pamela N. Jackson (Paternal Grandmother), Richard H. C. “Dick” Meakins (Maternal Grandfather), Rosemary D. Kent (Maternal Grandmother), Bruce Kent (Great Uncle) (Political activist and former Roman Catholic priest)
Joe Alwyn has been represented by –
- Creative Artists Agency
- Independent Talent Group Ltd., Talent Agency, London, England, United Kingdom
- Slate PR, Public Relations Agency, Los Angeles, California, United States
6 ft 1 in or 185 cm
86 kg or 190 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Joe Alwyn has dated –
- Taylor Swift (2016-2023) – In May 2017, Joe Alwyn was pushed into more spotlight than he would have been comfortable with as the tabloids realized that he has been secretly dating pop star, Taylor Swift. It was alleged that they had been dating for several months. As she felt the spotlight had an adverse effect on her previous relationships, she decided to keep her new love under wraps. She used to regularly fly to London to spend time with him and to keep it secret, she used to wear disguises. They had been introduced by Emma Stone (as per some sources) with whom he was working in The Favorite. Whereas, some tabloids state that Gigi Hadid had served as the matchmaker. Joe had worked with her in a photoshoot for Vogue magazine in September 2016. In December 2020, there were some engagement rumors as well. In April 2023, it was reported that they had broken up.
- Alison Oliver (2021) – While on the set of Conversations With Friends, Joe was pictured kissing his co-star in a vehicle which in turn led fans to believe that the on-screen couple’s relationship may actually be continuing off-cameras.
- Emma Laird (2023) – Just days after splitting from Taylor Swift, Joe was seen with Scottish actress Emma Laird in April 2023 which sparked dating rumors.
Race / Ethnicity
Joe Alwyn is of English and Scottish descent.
- Intense blue eyes
- Towering height
- Traditional British good looks
Best Known For
- Being cast in the lead role in the war drama movie, Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, in which he starred opposite Kristen Stewart
- Having played the role of Adrian Finn Sr in the drama movie, The Sense of an Ending, which was based on a highly acclaimed Julian Barnes novel
In 2016, he made his first film appearance as Billy Lynn in Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk.
First TV Show
In 2016, Joe made his TV show debut on the talk show, Today.
To physically prepare for his role in Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk, Joe took intensive training with Navy SEALs. The two-week isolation camp not only got them doing grueling drills, which would hold them in good stead during action sequences but also worked on developing the mentality of a soldier, who has served on battle lines. During the camp, they also got them practicing mock battles.
Joe Alwyn Favorite Things
- Food – Old-fashioned Indian curry
- Karaoke Songs – Anything by Eminem
Source – Daily Mail UK
Joe Alwyn Facts
- Alwyn might have had to wait a bit longer if Billy Lynn’s Long Halftime Walk casting director Avy Kaufman and director Ang Lee hadn’t struck with the initial decision to cast the well-known actor in the main role.
- Avy Kaufman put Joe on a flight to New York City on the same day he had seen his audition tape. As soon as he saw the tape, he was completely sure that they had found Billy.
- He brought to life the character of Robert Dudley, Elizabeth’s counselor and lover, in the 2018 historical drama film, Mary Queen of Scots. His co-stars in the project included Saoirse Ronan, Margot Robbie, Jack Lowden, David Tennant, and Guy Pearce.
- Alongside Cynthia Erivo, Leslie Odom Jr., and Janelle Monáe, he co-starred as Gideon Brodess, Harriet’s former owner, in the 2019 American biographical film titled Harriet.
- He made a cameo appearance in Miss Americana, a 2020 American documentary film that follows American singer-songwriter Taylor Swift and her life over the course of several years of her career.
- Ang Lee was almost off from casting him as he felt Joe was too good-looking for the role but Joe’s earnestness swayed him.
- Joe has contributed as a songwriter and has been credited as ‘William Bowery’ for Taylor Swift’s album Folklore released in 2020.