|Janelle Monáe Quick Info|
|Date of Birth||December 1, 1985|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Janelle Monáe is an American singer, songwriter, rapper, actress, voiceover artist, and record producer whose career started with the release of her demo album titled The Audition in 2003. Since then, she has released a wide range of critically acclaimed discography which includes albums, tracks, and extended plays like Wondaland Presents: The Eephus, The Electric Lady, The ArchAndroid, Dirty Computer, Violet Stars Happy Hunting!, Open Happiness (with Brendon Urie, CeeLo Green, Patrick Stump, and Travis McCoy), I Like That, Electric Lady (ft. Solange), and Make Me Feel. In recognition of her artistry and social leadership, the Boston City Council named October 16, 2013 “Janelle Monáe Day” in the city of Boston, Massachusetts. In addition to her musical pursuits, she has also been cast in films like Moonlight, The Glorias, Hidden Figures, Rio 2, Lady and the Tramp, UglyDolls, and Welcome to Marwen.
Janelle Monáe Robinson
Kansas City, Kansas, United States
Janelle Monae went to the F. L. Schlagle High School in Kansas City.
Post that, she started studying drama at the American Musical and Dramatic Academy in New York City on a scholarship basis. However, she didn’t complete her studies there as she dropped out claiming that her creativity was stifled at the institute.
She was also enrolled at the performing arts camp named, Freedom Theatre.
Singer, Songwriter, Music producer, Actress, Model
- Father – Michael Robinson Summers (Truck Driver)
- Mother – Worked as a janitor
- Siblings – She is an only child.
- Others – Kimmy (Younger Maternal Half-Sister)
Janelle Monae has been represented by –
- Paradigm Talent Agency
- William Morris Endeavor
Psychedelic soul, R&B, funk, soul, pop, art-rock, hip hop, progressive soul
Wondaland, Epic, Bad Boy, Atlantic Records
5 ft or 152 cm
52 kg or 115 lbs
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Janelle Monae has dated –
- Lewis Hamilton (2015) – Janelle was reported to be seeing British F1 racer Lewis Hamilton in 2015 after they were spotted together in Paris attending numerous events during the Paris Fashion Week. However, Janelle being her private self didn’t say anything about her supposed new boyfriend.
- Tessa Thompson (2018-Present) – In April 2018, when the music video of PYNK (by Janelle) was released, the fans considered Janelle and Tessa were indeed dating. Later, Tessa clearly told Porter magazine that she and Jannelle are private persons. She didn’t accept nor denied the relationship rumors.
- MC Lyte – Janelle was rumored to be dating MC Lyte in the past.
- Nate Wonder (2021) – In 2021, she was rumored to be dating singer Nate Wonder. In April 2021, they were spotted together while relaxing on a yacht in Mexico.
Race / Ethnicity
Janelle Monae is of African-American descent.
In April 2022, during an episode of Red Table Talk, Janelle came out as “Non-Binary”.
Her penchant for flamboyant hairstyles
33-25-34 in or 84-63.5-86 cm
6 (US) or 38 (EU)
7 (US) or 37.5 (EU)
Janelle has starred in commercials for –
- CoverGirl for whipped cream foundation
- Sonos Wireless HiFi home audio system
- Target Store
She has been seen in print ads for CoverGirl’s range of nail gloss and lip color.
Best Known For
- The success of her first full-length studio album, The ArchAndroid.
- Being featured as a vocalist in the track We Are Young by Fun in 2011.
Janelle released her first studio album The Audition in 2003. It didn’t chart anywhere.
In 2014, Janelle made her film debut with the 3D animated film Rio 2 in which she voiced the role of Dr. Monae.
First TV Show
In 2004, Monae hosted the music TV series Souled Out.
For Janelle Monae, her stage performances and rehearsing for her shows is a workout. The heavy sweating caused by these activities takes care of her toned body and gives her body a wonderful glow.
She also drinks a lot of water and tries hard to eat a healthy and balanced diet such as salads while on road. Whenever she feels hungry in between meals, she goes for light snacks like pita chips with hummus.
Janelle Monae Favorite Things
- Alfred Hitchcock Movie – Psycho (1960)
- TV series – Game of Thrones
- Role Models – Josephine Baker, Grace Jones
- Writers – Aldous Huxley, Isaac Asimov, Octavia Butler
Janelle Monae Facts
- When she got enrolled at the American Musical and Dramatic Academy, she was the only black female student in her class.
- In her early struggling days, she used to live in an Atlanta boarding house with 5 other women and worked at an office depot.
- Along with songwriters, Chuck Lightning and Nate Wonder, she has co-founded Wondaland Arts Society, which is a record label and artist group.
- She considers her signature black and white tuxedo uniform, a homage to her hard-working parents as well as to the working class of the U.S.
- While growing up, she was a member of Kansas City’s Coterie Theater Young Playwrights’ Round Table and was writing full-length plays.
- At the age of 12, she had written a full-length play inspired by Stevie Wonder‘s 1979 album Journey through the Secret Life of Plants.
- She has created her own range of clothing products under the label of Electro Phi Beta Sorority.
- Alongside Julianne Moore, Alicia Vikander, Timothy Hutton, Lorraine Toussaint, and Bette Midler, she portrayed feminist journalist and social-political activist Gloria Steinem in the biographical drama film, The Glorias, in 2020.
- She co-starred as Jacqueline Calico/Alex Eastern in the psychological thriller television series, Homecoming, in 2020 and the series also starred Julia Roberts, Bobby Cannavale, Stephan James, Shea Whigham, and others.
- She brought to life the character of Veronica Henley/Eden in the 2020 thriller film, Antebellum.
- As a child, she used to sing on holidays and Sundays at the local Baptist church.
- In December 2020, Janelle gave essential items to the families-in-need during the Wondalunch Food Giveaway event in Los Angeles.