|John Travolta Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 2 in|
|Date of Birth||February 18, 1954|
John Travolta is an American actor, singer, dancer, voiceover artist, producer, writer, and pilot who has gained critical acclaim for his performances in movies and shows such as Grease, Saturday Night Fever, Pulp Fiction, Primary Colors, Hairspray, Get Shorty, Swordfish, The People v. O. J. Simpson: American Crime Story, Face/Off, The General’s Daughter, Phenomenon, The Punisher, The Taking of Pelham 123, and Broken Arrow. Moreover, he became one of the youngest performers ever nominated for the Best Actor Oscar when he was nominated for the award for his performance in the 1977 dance drama film, Saturday Night Fever.
John Joseph Travolta
Englewood, New Jersey, United States
Jumbolair subdivision; Ocala, Florida, United States
John went to Dwight Morrow High School in Englewood. However, at the age of 17, he dropped out of his junior year.
Actor, Producer, Voiceover Artist, Writer, Singer, Dancer, Pilot
- Father – Salvatore Travolta (Former semi-professional American football player, tire salesman and partner in a tire company)
- Mother – Helen Cecilia (Actress and singer, high school drama and English teacher)
- Siblings – Joey Travolta (Older Brother) (Actor, Producer), Ellen Travolta (Older Sister) (Actress), Ann Travolta (Older Sister) (Actress), Margaret Travolta (Older Sister) (Actress), Sam Travolta (Older Brother) (Actor)
- Others – Samuel Travolta (Paternal Grandfather), Josephine Marsala (Paternal Grandmother), Charles Frederick Burke (Maternal Grandfather), Mary Ellen Murphy (Maternal Grandmother), Chris Palzis (Stepbrother-in-law), Peter Palzis (Father-in-law)
John Travolta is represented by Artists First, Talent Management Company, Beverly Hills, California, United States.
MCA, Revenimus Music Publishing, Midsong International Records, New Line
6 ft 2 in or 188 cm
97 kg or 214 lbs
Girlfriend / Boyfriend / Spouse
John Travolta has dated –
- Anita Gillette (1978) – John Travolta started going out with actress Anita Gillette after having grown close to her while working in the Bus Stop play at the Pocono Playhouse.
- Diana Hyland (1976-1977) – Travolta started dating actress Diana Hyland towards the end of 1976. He had met her while working in The Boy in the Plastic Bubble. But, the disaster struck soon as she was diagnosed with breast cancer. She even underwent mastectomy treatment but her health continued to worsen. She passed away in March 1977 in his arms. Travolta would later reveal that they had finalized a home in which they were planning to move before her death. He even wanted to get married to her.
- Catherine Deneuve (1980) – After dating Diana, who was 18 years older than him, John Travolta found love in another older actress Catherine Deneuve. When they started dating, he was 26 years old whereas his new girlfriend was 37 years old. They were reported to have fallen in love while working in Blowout film.
- Marilu Henner – John first met actress Marilu Henner in November 1972 while doing rehearsals for the road company of Grease. Despite adoring each other since they first met, they didn’t go out for about a year as he was involved with an unidentified woman. However, it isn’t known exactly how long they dated but it can be guessed that it didn’t go beyond a couple of years. In November 1983, they were dating once again. They celebrated getting back together by getting similar Jaguar cars. He even used to take her flying at least two times a week. After dating for around five and a half years, they separated for the final time in May 1989.
- Brooke Shields – John Travolta had a brief relationship with actress Brooke Shields in the early 80s. She would later reveal in her memoirs that their affair never progressed to the sexual level.
- Doug Gotterba (1981-1987) – In his interviews with various tabloids, Doug Gotterba revealed that he met Travolta in February 1981 for an interview for a pilot position. Travolta started dating him soon after and took him away for a trip to a California resort, where they consummated their relationship for the first time. Doug also claimed that even after Travolta got married to Kelly Preston, he still preferred men over women.
- Paul Barresi (1983-1985) – In an interview with National Enquirer, the former gay p*rn star Paul Barresi revealed that he had a sexual relationship with Travolta from 1983 to 1985. He later retracted his claims after being pressurized by a Hollywood star’s legal team. However, he later claimed that the retraction was due to the nervous breakdown and he just wanted to get over the whole drama.
- Kelly Preston (1990-2020) – Travolta first met his current wife Kelly Preston in 1987 while shooting for the movie, The Experts. However, at that time, John was dating Marilu Henner and Kelly was married to Kevin Gage. After she broke up with Charlie Sheen in early 1990, she started dating John with Scientology serving as the common thread that connected them. They dated for around one and a half years, before getting married in September 1990 in Paris. However, as this relationship was presided over by a Scientology minister, it wasn’t official. Therefore, a week later, they got married in Florida to make their relationship official. In 1992, she gave birth to a son, Jett. Unfortunately, at the age of 16, Jett died during Christmas vacations in The Bahamas due to seizures. Kelly gave birth to a daughter, Ella Bleu in 2000. They welcomed a baby boy, Benjamin in 2010. The duo remained together until the death of Kelly Preston on July 12, 2020, as she passed away after battling breast cancer for 2 years.
Race / Ethnicity
John is of Italian descent on his father’s side and has Irish ancestry on his mother’s side.
However, Travolta has denied that he has had any gay relationships.
- Cleft chin
- Sharp cheekbones
- New Jersey accent
John Travolta has starred in the TV commercials for –
- United States Army
- Honda motorcycles
- Band-Aid bandages
- Heineken beer
- Haggar slacks
- Safeguard Bath Soap
- Apple Music
- The Mutual Life Insurance Company of New York
- Takara Can Zhuhai
- Capital One (2020) – John appeared as Santa Claus in Capital One’s Christmas commercial.
He was raised a Roman Catholic.
Best Known For
- Having starred in a number of cult-hit movies such as Pulp Fiction (1994) and Face/Off (1997)
- Being one of the male s*x symbols in the 80s and 90s
In 1976, he released his first studio album, John Travolta.
John Travolta made his film debut in 1975 with the horror film The Devil’s Rain in the role of Danny.
First TV Show
In 1972, John guest appeared in the medical drama series Emergency! as Chuck Benson.
Over the years, John Travolta has been regularly hitting the gym to maintain his fitness. However, while his objective was to look best for his roles earlier, he is recently hitting the gym to ensure that he has the energy and fitness to play around with his children. Now, he is making sure that he is staying healthy for them.
If he has a very busy work schedule, he hits the gym at 3 in the morning. He just makes sure that he is in the gym for his daily workouts. Apart from the gym workout, he also plays tennis daily.
Regarding diet, he is taking a balanced and healthy diet. Also, due to his advancing age, he is taking his vitamin on daily basis as well.
John Travolta Favorite Things
- Movie – A Man and a Woman (1966)
- Actor Growing Up – James Cagney
- Childhood Movie – Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)
- Foreign Movie – La Strada (1956)
- Director – Sylvester Stallone
- Place – Gander, Newfoundland, Canada
- Food – Crab Quiche, Lasagne Alla Bolognese
John Travolta Facts
- In 1997, Empire UK magazine placed John Travolta on #21 on the list of “Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time.”
- To prepare in the best possible way for his role in Saturday Night Fever, he spent around 9 months trying to learn how to dance with the disco music.
- He was the second choice for probably his most well-known role in Pulp Fiction. The role was written especially for Michael Madsen. However, he opted out due to his acting commitments.
- In 2011, he was added to the New Jersey Hall of Fame for his tremendous achievements and contributions to the entertainment industry and arts field.
- In June 1985, he was honored with his own star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, which is at 6901 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, Los Angeles.
- Princess Diana once asked him to dance at a party at the White House in 1985.
- He was offered the role of villain Green Goblin in Spider-Man (2002).
- He was offered the role of Forrest Gump in the movie of the same name. He has admitted that turning the role down was a mistake.
- Travolta has been practicing Scientology since 1975. Along with Tom Cruise, he is one of the leading Hollywood stars to practice it.
- He is a licensed private pilot and a proud owner of five aircraft, which includes a Boeing 707-138 airliner that has ‘Jett Clipper Ella” written on it, in honor of his children.
- The Premiere Magazine placed his performance in Saturday Night Fever on #73 in the list of “100 Greatest Performances of All Time.”
- In December 2003, he was given John Glenn aviation’s highest award at the Centennial of Flight Celebration.
- For the 2016 U.S. presidential election, he endorsed Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton.
- He has been friends with James Cagney, Cary Grant, Billy Lockwood, and Barbara Stanwyck.