|Sarah Thyre Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||July 7, 1968|
Sarah Thyre is an American actress, writer, and comedian, best known for her roles of Coach Cherri Wolf in TV series Strangers with Candy (1999-2000) and movie of the same name in 2005, and borrowing her voice to the characters of Mrs. Gibbons in The Mighty B! (2008-2011) and Dorothy / Becca / Utta in All Hail King Julien (2014-2017). As the wife of Andy Richter, the sidekick of Conan O’Brien, Sarah appeared as herself in the episodes of his TV talk-shows Late Night with Conan O’Brien (1996-2007), and Conan (2010). She also played Angry Protester / Gretel in 2 episodes of the comedy series Upright Citizens Brigade (1998), and Mother in 1 episode of Childrens Hospital (2011). Sarah also showed off her voice acting skills as the characters Becca / Dorothy in 2 episodes of the series All Hail King Julien: Exiled (2017) and provided additional voices for the animated family movie Hotel Transylvania (2012).
Sarah is also known for the role of Diane Edbetter-Irpine in the mockumentary The Thin Pink Line (1998), based on the Errol Morris’s documentary The Thin Blue Line (1988). She also starred as Sarah in the comedy movie Jason Nash Is Married (2014) also starring her husband Andy, as well as Busy Philipps, Casey Wilson, David Koechner, Rob Corddry, Patton Oswalt, T.J. Miller, and Matt Walsh. In 2007, Sarah also released her memoir, titled Dark at the Roots via Counterpoint Press, which documented her experience growing up in poverty with her mother and 4 siblings. She also created a podcast titled Crybabies alongside Susan Orlean, a well-known author, and posted her 1st episode on November 3, 2014, which grabbed the audience’s attention around 2017 following the rise in popularity of podcasts. Sarah has also amassed a fanbase online with more than 100k followers on Twitter.
Sarah Christine Thyre
Los Angeles, California, United States
Actress, Writer, Comedian
- Mother – She worked as a cleaning lady.
- Siblings – Becky Thyre (Sister) (Actress). She also has 3 other siblings.
Sarah Thyre is represented by Creative Artists Agency (Talent Agent) in Los Angeles, California, United States.
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
63 kg or 139 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Sarah Thyre has dated –
- Andy Richter (1991-2019) – Sarah met fellow actor, comedian, and TV personality Andy Richter in 1991, during the production of the spoof of a ’70s sitcom The Real Live Brady Bunch. Andy played the role of Mike Brady, while Sarah took on the roles of all female characters except for Marcia Brady. In 1999, in an interview to Observer, Sarah opened up about their relationship, stating that she was so poor at the time they met, that all she could afford were cigarettes and coffee. As such, she was ecstatic when Andy asked her whether she wants to go to Taco Bell for dinner. She also revealed a gross moment that assured her he was the perfect man for her – when she had a nasty case of dia*rhea on the floor of his apartment while getting out of bed in the morning. While Sarah rushed to the toilet, talking on the phone to her sister, he went and started scrubbing the floor immediately, after which she told her sister that she would surely marry him. After around 3 years of dating, they got married on March 18, 1994. They also later appeared together in Strangers with Candy (1999-2000) in which Sarah played Coach Cherri Wolf and Andy had frequent cameos. Sarah and Andy also played the characters of Hansel and Gretel in an episode of the Upright Citizens Brigade sketch comedy series on Comedy Central in 1998. The two welcomed their 1st child, a son named William Oscar Richter in 2001, and their 2nd kid, a daughter named Mercy Josephine Richter on March 2007. At a fundraiser for the Planned Parenthood organization in 2016, Andy revealed a detail from their private life that not a lot of people knew. He stated that at the beginning of their relationship, in 1992, they have had a lot of personal difficulties and split, but Sarah got pregnant. The organization provided a lot of support when both Andy and Sarah realized abortion was the right decision for them at that point in time, even though they were very sad to go through with it. On April 13, 2019, they made a mutual announcement, stating they were in the process of getting a divorce. However, both Sarah and Andy clarified they would remain close friends and actively co-parent their 2 kids.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of American descent.
Sarah Thyre endorsed a kids’ clothing brand named Rockets of Awesome in 2018.
Best Known For
- Her role of Coach Cherri Wolf in Strangers with Candy (1999-2000), and vocal roles of Mrs. Gibbons in The Mighty B! (2008-2011), and Dorothy / Becca / Utta in All Hail King Julien (2014-2017)
- Her movie roles in The Thin Pink Line (1998) as Diane Edbetter-Irpine and Jason Nash Is Married (2014) as Sarah
- Starting a podcast titled Crybabies in late 2014 alongside a well-known author, Susan Orleans
- Having a social media fanbase with more than 100k followers on Twitter
Sarah Thyre made her first theatrical film appearance as Diane Edbetter-Irpine in the comedy film The Thin Pink Line in 1998. The movie also featured actors such as Margaret Cho, David Schwimmer, Jason Priestley, Will Ferrell, and Jennifer Aniston.
First TV Show
Sarah Thyre made her first TV show appearance as ‘Herself’ in an episode of the comedy talk-show series Late Night with Conan O’Brien in October 1996.
As a voice actress, Sarah Thyre made her first TV show appearance as Mrs. Gibbons in an episode titled So Happy Together/Sweet Sixteenth of the animated comedy series The Mighty B! in April 2008.
Sarah Thyre Favorite Things
- Word (In 1999) – Crepuscular
- Drink (In 1999) – Beer
- TV Shows (In 1999) – The Simpsons, Cops
- Movie – Jaws (1975)
- Food – Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Brownie Cookies
- Song – That’s The Way Love Goes by Janet Jackson
- People – Paul Newman, Jeff Goldblum, Linda Hamilton, Glen Campbell
Sarah Thyre Facts
- She grew up in Louisiana, the United States in a poverty-stricken household with 4 of her siblings after her parents divorced.
- Her dad nicknamed her “family liar” while she was still a toddler.
- She used to go fishing with her father because she wanted to connect with him, even though she didn’t enjoy the activity.
- She wrote and produced a zine titled Thyrezine, which was a small-circulation self-published magazine. In it, Sarah, alongside her siblings, shared stories of childhood adventures and struggles growing up.
- Sarah has performed her comedy at venues such as New York’s Luna Lounge, UCB Theatre, on Public Radio International, Upright Citizens Brigade Theaters, Sit ‘n’ Spin at the Comedy Central.
- In 1999, Sarah used to smoke Dunhill Light cigarettes.
- She has 2 dogs named Jack and Tango, the latter of which she also calls Mr. HotSpot.
- Her personality type is Commander (ENTJ-T).
- She once jokingly stated that she was irritated by the claim that Jesus was dead for 3 days because he died on Friday afternoon and rose from the dead at dawn on Sunday.
- Sarah rarely laughs at written comedy. Instead, she bursts into laughter during weird situations on TV, as well as watching failed TV pilots that her friends have done.
- In her memoir, she pointed out various injustices she endured during her school years. One that stood out to her was that the Catholic school guidance counselor discouraged her from going to colleges such as Yale University or Sarah Lawrence College because she wasn’t financially stable, even though she was a good student.
- Sarah once brought her English teacher to tears because she continually corrected her use of the apostrophe.
- She was saddened to hear that the gorilla Koko passed away in June 2018.
Featured Image by Sarah Thyre / Instagram