Joshua William Dun
Josh, Jishwa, Dog Breath, Dj Spooky Jim
Columbus, Ohio, United States
- Father – Bill Dun (Physical Therapist Assistant)
- Mother – Laura Dun (Hospice Social Worker)
- Siblings – Ashley Dun (Sister), Abigail Dun (Sister), Jordan Dun (Brother)
- Others – Earl Owen Dun (Paternal Grandfather), Eleanor Jean McCarthy (Paternal Grandmother)
Josh’s band, Twenty One Pilots is represented by Element 1 Management.
Alternative hip hop, indie pop, alternative rock, electropop, rap rock
Drums, percussion, drum machine
Fueled by Ramen
5 ft 7.5 in or 171.5 cm
He once joked his height to be 5 ft 4.5 in or 164 cm on Twitter.
66 kg or 145.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Josh Dun has dated –
- Debby Ryan (2013-2015, 2018-Present) – Josh started dating actress Debby Ryan in May 2013. Their relationship status was confirmed by their social media activity as they uploaded snaps of them being together on their respective accounts. They also made several public appearances and it seemed their relationship will go long. However, they decided to go separate ways by May 2015 as they struggled to find time for each other in their hectic work schedules. In December 2016, they sparked rumors of a reconciliation after they were spotted together at the Christmas party hosted by music producer John Feldmann. However, it turned out that they were just on good terms. In 2018, they reconciled and resumed dating. Josh revealed their engagement on Instagram on December 23, 2018. They got married on December 31, 2019, after 1 year of engagement, in Austin.
- Halsey (2015) – Josh was RUMORed to be dating musician and songwriter Halsey towards the end of 2015 after they were spotted hanging out and looking cozy on outings.
Race / Ethnicity
He has Irish, English, French, Scottish, German and Welsh ancestry. He also has traces of Swedish and Belgian (Flemish) lineage.
Black (Natural Hair Color)
Josh Dun loves experimenting with his hair color and over the years has sported blue, purple, pink, yellow and red hair color.
- Nose ring
- Bright colored hair
- Black ear studs
Josh Dun was made the ambassador for the Hayley Williams‘ goodDYEyoung brand.
Best Known For
- Being one-half of the musical duo, Twenty One Pilots
- The critical acclaim garnered by his band’s 4th studio album, Blurryface
Josh’s first studio album with Twenty One Pilots was Regional at Best, which was released in July 2011. However, it was band’s overall second studio album.
First TV Show
In 2013, Josh made his first TV show appearance on the talk show, Big Morning Buzz Live.
Josh Dun Favorite Things
- Song from Vessel Album – Ode to Sleep
- Celebrity Crush – Elizabeth Olsen, Ashley Olsen, and Mary-Kate Olsen
Source – iHeart.com
Twenty One Pilots Favorite Things
- Music Artists – Dixie Chicks, Third Eye Blind, Sugar Ray, Celine Dion
- Boy Band – Backstreet Boys
- Cereal – Waffle Crisp
- Workout – Pushups
Source – iHeart.com
Josh Dun Facts
- He and his bandmate Tyler Joseph share a close relationship with their fans, who are known as skeleton clique. They even got “X” tattooed onstage during their 2013 concert in a nod to their fans.
- Before he found fame as a musician, he worked at Guitar Center for three years. It was there he met Chris Salih, the former drummer of Twenty One Pilots, who also used to work there.
- He used to play trumpet in middle school. He also learned to play keyboard, which was gifted by his father on Christmas, on his own.
- Josh became a part of the Twenty One Pilots band in 2011 after drummer Chris Salih and bassist Nick Thomas left the group due to the draining schedule.
- He first saw Twenty One Pilots perform at a club in Ohio State University campus. He had been invited by then drummer Chris Salih.
- He learned how to play drums on his own. He used to listen to records and then try to imitate the music on his electronic drum kit.
- While growing up, his parents had placed a restriction on the type of music, he could listen. If they ever found any inappropriate music (hip hop and rock), they used to take it away and instead make him listen to a Christian alternative.
- For the cover art of their album, Vessel, Josh and Tyler decided to feature their paternal grandfathers.
- In his early teens, he was a rebellious kid. His parents nearly kicked him out of the house and thought about getting him enrolled at a military school because he was always in detention in school and behaved awfully with his parents.
- The music video of the Twenty One Pilots was filmed at Dun’s childhood home. It made his house a destination for the band’s diehard fans. His father even had to cancel the landline after getting tired of calls at all times.
- Before performing on stage, Josh likes to wear red makeup around his eyes. He believes that his war paint represents his inner thoughts.
- Before he joined Twenty One Pilots band, he played drums for an Ohio-based alternative rock band, House of Heroes for about 7 months. Their regular drummer, Colin Rigsby took a break to spend more time with his family from March 2010 to October 2010.
- In February 2017, he took to his Instagram account to reveal that he had collaborated with a music instrument company, Zildjian to create his pair of drumsticks.