|Katey Sagal Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 9 in|
|Date of Birth||January 19, 1954|
Katey Sagal is an American actress and singer who became a household name after playing Peggy Bundy on the hit sitcom Married… with Children (1987-1997). She is also widely recognized for portraying the character of Gemma Teller Morrow on the drama TV series Sons of Anarchy (2008-2014) which earned her a Golden Globe Award in the category of “Best Actress” in 2011. Katey is also a renowned vocalist who has worked as a backup artist for several noted singers and has released a few solo studio albums as well. In 2014, she was honored with a star on the ‘Hollywood Walk of Fame’.
Catherine Louise Sagal
Los Angeles, California, United States
Los Angeles, California, United States
Katey graduated from Palisades High School in Pacific Palisades, California. She then studied acting from the California Institute of the Arts for only half a semester. Shen then dropped out.
Actress, Singer, Songwriter
- Father – Boris Sagal (TV and Film Director) (d. 1981)
- Mother – Sara Zwilling (a.k.a. Sara Macon) (Singer, TV Writer, Producer) (d. 1975)
- Siblings – Jean Sagal (Younger Sister) (Actress, TV Director), Liz Sagal (Younger Sister) (Actress, Screenwriter, Film Editor), Joseph “Joey” Sagal (Younger Brother) (Actor, Screenwriter), David Sagal (Brother) (Attorney)
- Others – Marge Champion (Stepmother) (Actress, Dancer), McNally Sagal (Sister-in-Law) (Actress), Lewis Sagal (Paternal Grandfather), Berka Sagal (Paternal Great Grandfather), Basha Sagal (Paternal Great Grandmother), Yosel Sagal (Paternal Great Great Grandfather), Hanna (Paternal Great Great Grandmother), Rose Simina (Paternal Grandmother), Hasya Simina (Paternal Great Grandmother), Daniel Frederick Zwilling (Maternal Grandfather), Daniel Zwilling (Maternal Great Grandfather), Alda Blanche Miller (Maternal Great Grandmother), Heinrich Zwilling (Maternal Great Great Grandfather), Julia Ann Howald (Maternal Great Great Grandmother), Abraham H. Miller (Maternal Great Great Grandfather), Elizabeth Fleming (Maternal Great Great Grandmother), Virginia Lee Thompson (Maternal Grandmother), Nathaniel Quitman Thompson (Maternal Great Grandfather), Virginia Michaux Macon (Maternal Great Grandmother), Joseph Underwood Thompson (Maternal Great Great Grandfather), Georgianne Abney (Maternal Great Great Grandmother), William W. Macon (Maternal Great Great Grandfather), Margaret Julia Binion (Maternal Great Great Grandmother), Ernest Belcher (Step-Grandfather) (Choreographer) (d. 1973), Jules White (Ex Brother-in-Law) (Film Director) (d. 1985), Sam White (Ex Brother-in-Law) (Film Producer) (d. 2006), Hanala Sagal (Ex Sister-in-Law) (Actress), Gregg Champion (Step-Brother) (Film Director), Blake Champion (Step-Brother) (d. 1987)
She is represented by William Morris Endeavor Entertainment, Beverly Hills, California, United States.
Pop, Adult Contemporary
Vocals, guitar, bongos, tambourine, güiro
- Casablanca Records
- Virgin/EMI Records
- Valley Entertainment
- 20th Century Fox
- E1 Music
5 ft 9 in or 175 cm
59 kg or 130 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Katey has dated –
- David Faustino – Rumor
- Gene Simmons (1972-1978)
- Freddie Beckmeier (1975–1981) – Katie began dating musician Freddie Beckmeier in 1975. The couple got married in 1977 and were eventually separated in 1981.
- Fred Lombardo (1986–1989)
- Jack White (1990–2000) – Katie started dating drummer Jack White in 1990 and the couple got married in 1993. They have 2 children together – a son named Jackson James White (b. March 1, 1996) and a daughter named Sarah Grace White (b. August 7, 1994).
- Kurt Sutter (2003-Present) – Katey got married to screenwriter and TV producer Kurt Sutter on October 2, 2004. They have a daughter together named Esmé Louise Sutter (b. January 10, 2007), through a surrogate mother.
Race / Ethnicity
She is of Ashkenazi Jewish descent on her father’s side and has German, English, Swiss-German, French, and Scottish ancestry on her mother’s side.
- Dense, straight shoulder-length hair
- Affable smile
- Has Flowers tattooed on both her arms
- Petite frame
Katey has appeared in the TV commercials for –
- Victoria’s Secret (1996)
- American Red Cross (2012)
- Ford (Warriors in Pink) (2017)
She has stated that although she is culturally Jewish, she has never had any ‘formal religious experience’.
Katey Sagal Favorite Things
- Pet – Dogs
- Movie Genre – Comedy
- Beatle (As a Kid) – George Harrison
- Home Improvement Shows – Fixer Upper (2013-2018), Salvage Dawgs (2012-Present)
- Exercise – Barre class called Physique 57
Katey Sagal Facts
- Before making a big splash in the world of acting, Katey had started her career as a singer and songwriter. She had even worked as a singing waitress during her years of struggle before cracking it in the singing industry.
- She eventually worked as a backing vocalist for acclaimed singers such as Bob Dylan, Etta James, Tanya Tucker, Bette Midler, and Gene Simmons. Her first solo studio album, titled Well…., was eventually released in 1994.
- Katey’s godfather, well-known sitcom producer/writer Norman Lear, revealed in 2016 that he was the one who had introduced Katey’s parents to each other.
- In 1985, she was honored with the Drama Logue Award for “Outstanding Performance” for her work in the play The Beautiful Lady which used to run at the Mark Taper Forum Theatre in Los Angeles.
- In October 2021, Katey was hospitalized after being hit by a car while crossing the street in Los Angeles.
- Katey calls herself a shy and private person.
- His biggest pet peeves are those people who tailgate and even those people who throw cigarettes out of their car windows.
- She likes knitting but hardly finishes anything that she starts.
- At the age of 11, she attended a Beatle concert and became so uncontrollable that she had to be escorted home by the police.
- She had her third child, daughter Esmé Louise Sutter at the age of 50.
- She is also a part of the band where she plays various musical instruments such as guitar, bongos, tambourine, and a güiro.
- Katey has many tattoos on her body.
- Katey used to drink alcohol previously. She stopped having it over 30 years ago.
- To be the mom of 3 kids has been her biggest achievement.
- At the California Institute of the Arts, actors Paul Reubens and David Hasselhoff were her classmates.
- Katey does meditation regularly.
- She likes driving and finds comfort in her car.
- Katey has never done skydiving and might never do it.
- She has an illness anxiety disorder called hypochondria. For that reason, she goes to the doctor a lot of times.
- She likes wearing Marsèll shoes. However, they are expensive for her.
- She has 4 pet dogs – 2 chocolate labs, 1 Labradoodle, and a little scruffy rescue.
- She is sensitive to loud noise and bright light.
Featured Image by Joella Marano / Flickr / CC BY-SA 2.0