|Lee Ji-eun Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 3¾ in|
|Date of Birth||May 16, 1993|
Lee Ji-eun aka IU has many accolades to her name including Mnet Asian Music Award (2017) for Best Female Artist, Korean Music Award (2018) for Best Pop Album (Palette), and KBS Drama Award (2014) for Best New Actress. She has appeared in many commercials and has produced numerous hits songs like You and I, Through the Night, Can’t Love You Anymore, and Palette. As one of South Korea’s popular idols, she has amassed over 3 million followers on Facebook, more than 7 million followers on Instagram, and over 18 million views on YouTube.
IU, Nation’s Little Sister, Jingjjang, Gasiyu
Gwangjin District, Seoul, South Korea
Gwangjin District, Seoul, South Korea
Lee Ji-eun graduated from the Dongduk Girls’ High School, Seoul in 2012.
Singer, Songwriter, Actress, Voice Actress, Philanthropist
- Siblings – She has a younger brother.
Lee Ji-eun is managed by Fave Entertainment (formerly LOEN Entertainment), Gangnam-gu, Seoul, South Korea.
K-Pop, R&B, Soul
- Kakao M (Fave Entertainment)
- Universal Music Japan
- Warner Music Taiwan
5 ft 3¾ in or 162 cm
45 kg or 99 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Lee Ji-eun has dated –
- Jang Kiha (2013-2017) – In 2013, Lee Ji-eun started dating radio show host and lead vocalist of South Korean indie rock band Kiha & The Faces, Jang Kiha. Lee Ji-eun, who is 11 years younger than Jang, met Jang on the radio show hosted by him. She confirmed their relationship in October 2015, on her social media account and stated that it was love at first sight for her. However, the pair broke up in 2017.
- Lee Jong-suk (2022-Present) – In December 2022, it was rumored that Lee Ji-eun and actor Lee Jong-suk were dating after they reportedly spent Christmas together in Nagoya, Japan. In January 2023, the couple’s agencies confirmed their relationship.
Race / Ethnicity
- Often keeps a bang
- Beautiful round eyes
Lee Ji-eun has done endorsement work for brands like Crown Confectionery’s MyChew candy, Crown Bakery, Y’sb, Alicia: The Story of My Horse and I video game, Nexon’s Dungeon Fighter Online, Unionbay Sportswear, Le Coq Sportif, SK Telecom, Namyang Dairy’s Yogurt Bulgaris, S-Oil, Homeplus, Guess, Elite, The Saem cosmetic, Hoo Roo Rook products, Samsung Electronics, Qdsuh, Unionbay Sportswear, ISOI cosmetics, Global StarCraft II League, SK Planet online store, Mexicana Chicken restaurant chain, MDR series headphones, and Sbenu footwear.
She has been the spokesmodel for various brands like –
- NCsoft’s Aion: Upheaval video game
She was also the ambassador for Expo 2012 held in Yeosu.
Best Known For
- The lead single “Good Day” from her EP, Real (2010), which remained at the top of South Korea’s Gaon Digital Chart for 5 consecutive weeks
- Being one of the best solo artists in the K-pop industry with the success of her EPs including Real (2010), A Flower Bookmark (2014), Chat-Shire (2015), and A Flower Bookmark 2 (2017)
- Winning several awards including Melon Music Award, Mnet Asian Music Award, Seoul Music Award, and Korean Music Award. She also won KBS Drama Award for “Best New Actress” in 2014.
On April 23, 2009, her first studio album Growing Up was released with LOEN Entertainment. The album has 16 songs with 2 instrumental numbers.
In 2017, she made a cameo appearance in the Korean film Real.
In 2012, she made her debut as a voice artist in the animation film A Turtle’s Tale 2: Sammy’s Escape from Paradise (Korean version) as the voice of Ella.
First TV Show
In 2009, she made her first TV show appearance as a host on the MBC Game show IU Star Nutrition.
Lee Ji-eun is known to adopt extreme diet plans to maintain her slim figure. At one point in time, her diet included –
- Breakfast – An apple
- Lunch – Some sweet potatoes
- Dinner – Protein shake
Lee Ji-eun Favorite Things
- Number – 8
- Color – Purple or light purple
Source – iu-jjang.tumblr.com
Lee Ji-eun Facts
- She grew up in a poor family where her parents struggled financially.
- Part of her childhood was spent in Uijeongbu in Gyeonggi Province.
- She began her career by going for auditions to various talent agencies while she was still in middle school.
- IU got her break in 2007, when she was just 15 years old, after LOEN Entertainment signed her as a trainee and her debut EP Lost and Found was released the same year.
- In 2008, she was honored by South Korea’s Ministry of Culture, Sports, and Tourism for her work in music.
- In 2010, Lee Ji-eun acted as the VJ on MBC Game’s Star for You show and as an announcer, she introduced players during the Global StarCraft II League.
- She supports many organizations like Green Umbrella Children’s Fund, to which she donated about US$88,000 in 2015 and 2018 collectively. She has also financially assisted students from underdeveloped families from her high school.
- In February 2012, she was chosen by South Korea’s National Police Agency as an ambassador for their anti-bullying campaigns in schools.
- In 2013, Lee Ji-eun was elected as an honorary member of the police force and later in 2014, she was given a 2-year term as the honorary senior police officer.
- In 2018, she participated in the online Ice Bucket Challenge, to promote awareness of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).
- For many years since 2012, she had been a constant figure on Forbes’ annual Korea Power Celebrity list.
- Lee Ji-eun has been an all-time topper on the Billboard’s chart of Korea K-Pop Hot 100 as the artist who has produced and has managed to hold the most number-one songs for maximum weeks.
- In 2017, the Gallup Korea survey listed her as the most popular idol and artist of South Korea.
- The song Hold My Hand was written by her in 2011, for the television series The Greatest Love.
- Lee Ji-eun also wrote all the 7 songs on her EP Chat-Shire (2015) adding another crown to her career as the sole lyricist and producer of the album.
- Follow Lee Ji-eun on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube.
Featured Image by Lee Ji-eun / Instagram