|Madhuri Dixit Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 4 in|
|Date of Birth||May 15, 1967|
|Spouse||Dr. Shriram Nene|
Madhuri Dixit is an Indian actress and producer who dominated the Hindi film industry in the late 1980s and throughout the 1990s. She was the highest-paid actress of her time known for giving power-packed performances and ruled the hearts of millions of fans. Blessed with an enchanting smile and exceptional dance abilities, Madhuri is considered as one of the most versatile performers to ever grace the silver screen. In 1999, she married Indian-American surgeon Dr. Shriram Nene and left her successful film career behind to settle down in the United States. After a 10-year hiatus, she returned to Bollywood to revive her career again. The actress regularly updates her fans on Instagram (15 million followers), Facebook (26 million followers), and Twitter (8 million followers) about her upcoming projects.
Madhuri Dixit-Nene, Bubbly, Dhak Dhak Girl, Mohini
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Madhuri studied at the Divine Child High School in Andheri, Mumbai.
She attended Sathaye College (previously known as Parle College) and took up Microbiology as one of her graduating subjects. However, six months into her first year, she decided to drop out of college and focus completely on her acting career.
- Father – Shankar Dixit
- Mother – Snehlata Dixit
- Siblings – Rupa Dixit (Older Sister), Bharati Dixit (Older Sister), Ajit Dixit (Older Brother)
- Others – Satish Dixit (Cousin), Sheehan Dixit (Nephew) (Son of Satish) (Actor)
Since 1985, Madhuri was represented by her personal manager Rikku Rakesh Nath. However, she ended their long-term association in 2012.
Since then, she is managed by Reshma Shetty who has previously worked with Salman Khan.
5 ft 4 in or 162.5 cm
57 kg or 125.5 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Madhuri has dated –
- Sanjay Dutt (1990-1993) – Rumors of a romance brewing between co-stars Sanjay Dutt and Madhuri Dixit were swirling in the media during the early 1990s. The two had acted in several films together and their onscreen chemistry had always grabbed eyeballs. Although the 1991 superhit film Saajan intensified the frenzy surrounding the two, neither of them confirmed their romance. Dutt, who was married to Richa Sharma at that time, was speculated to divorce her and marry Madhuri. But In 1993, Dutt was arrested under TADA for the illegal possession of arms in connection to the 1993 Bombay blasts. It was revealed that Madhuri ended their relationship soon after the incident.
- Shriram Nene (1999-Present) – Madhuri met Dr. Shriram Nene, a cardiovascular surgeon at UCLA, at the behest of her brother Ajit. Ram is of Indian-origin who grew up in the United States and as such, had no idea about Bollywood. During their first meeting, the actress was pleasantly surprised that he wasn’t aware of her acting career and found it very refreshing. Years later, she revealed that it was the first thing that attracted her to Ram. The couple spent their first date going mountain biking and, with him, Madhuri was able to enjoy a lifestyle that her celebrity status in India could not allow. After 3 months of dating, they got married in a private ceremony on October 17, 1999, and headed to Hawaii for their honeymoon. The news of her marriage surprised as well as broke the hearts of millions of her fans as she was at the top of her career at that time. The newlyweds held a lavish wedding reception in Mumbai which saw a long list of celebrities in attendance. After wrapping up her remaining film projects, Madhuri shifted base to Denver, Colorado, where she spent her life raising their two sons – Arin (b. March 18, 2003) and Rayaan (b. March 8, 2005) away from the limelight. After living in the States for more than 10 years, she relocated with her family to Mumbai in October 2011 to begin her second innings in Bollywood.
Race / Ethnicity
Madhuri has done endorsement work for the following brands –
- Dabur Chyawanprash (2013)
- P N Gadgil Jewellers
- Neesa Basmati Rice (2012)
- Comfort Fabric Conditioner (2011)
- Xpert Aquashine (2011)
- Olay Regenerist (2013)
- Taj Mahal Tea (2014)
- Nestle’s Maggi Veg Atta Noodles (2014)
- Oral B Toothpaste (2014)
- Mahakosh Cooking Oil
- Nutrela Soya Chunks
- Prabhat Dairy
- Ramrajya Properties
- Vogue India
- Intex Washing Machine
- MAA – Mother’s Absolute Affection (PSA)
- Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao (PSA)
Best Known For
- Having an illustrious career in Bollywood which consisted of a string of blockbuster films like Tezaab (1988), Dil (1990), Hum Aapke Hain Koun (1994), Dil To Pagal Hai (1997), Devdas (2002), etc
- Being the only Hindi film actress with 16 Filmfare Award nominations including four wins for Best Actress, one for Best Supporting Actress and a Filmfare Special Award
- Her captivating dancing skills that immortalized songs like Ek Do Teen, Choli Ke Peeche Kya Hai, Dhak Dhak Karne Laga, Mera Piya Ghar Aaya, Didi Tera Devar Deewana, Maar Dala, Humko Aaj Kaal Hai Intezaar, and many more
Madhuri made her theatrical film debut as Gauri in the 1984 drama Abodh by Rajshri Productions.
First TV Show
In 1985, Madhuri made her TV show debut in the social satire Paying Guest in the role of Neena.
There is no doubt that dancing has been a big part of Madhuri’s life, and it has also helped her maintain her youthful looks. She finds exercising in a gym to be boring and monotonous therefore, the actress chooses to dance her way to a healthy body, mind, and soul. She practices Kathak 4 to 5 times a week and considers it an excellent and fun way of doing a cardio workout. In addition, she also trains in weightlifting, yoga, and other cardio exercises to achieve all-round fitness.
Madhuri’s diet plan involves making healthier food choices throughout the day. She enjoys Japanese cuisine which includes protein-rich tofu, veggies, and mushrooms as a part of everyday meals. Also, she prefers poaching, steaming, grilling, and baking her food instead of deep-frying it in order to conserve its nutritional value.
The timeless beauty loves to sip on coconut water regularly, as it is rich in vitamins and minerals, and helps maintain her glowing skin. Furthermore, she considers small steps like drinking enough water and getting 8 hours of sleep every day as quintessential in maintaining her overall beauty.
Her daily diet plan is as follows –
- Breakfast – Oatmeal or three egg whites and toast. Following which, she has a cup of tea.
- Mid-day Meal – Half a fruit with either curd or nuts
- Lunch – Vegetables, chicken, and Bajre ki roti (an excellent source of fiber)
- Mid-evening snack – Egg white and a cup of tea
- Dinner – She likes to eat her dinner by 7:30 pm. Her plate usually consists of a bowl of vegetables, salad, and chicken or grilled fish.
Madhuri Dixit Favorite Things
- Actors – Ranbir Kapoor, Shah Rukh Khan
- Movies – Padosan (1968), Hum Aapke Hain Koun (1994)
- Songs – Saturday Saturday (from the 2014 film Humpty Sharma Ki Dulhania), Humko Aaj Kal Hai Interzaar (from the film Sailaab in 1990)
- Word – Perfect
- Indian Dish – Kande Pohe (a spicy dish made with flattened rice), Varan Bhaat (Rice and dal), Modak, Zunka Bhakri
- Film Of Herself – Hum Aapke Hain Koun (1994)
- Dance Form – Kathak
- Ballroom Dance – Waltz
- Dancers – Pandit Birju Maharaj, Hema Malini, Helen, Gene Kelly
- Hollywood Actress – Meryl Streep
- Animal – Elephant
Madhuri Dixit Facts
- Madhuri began dancing at the ripe age of 3 and received a Kathak dance scholarship when she was 9 years old. She learned Kathak for eight years and developed a lifelong passion for the art form.
- Her dancing prowess has impressed many eminent dancers among which are Kathak exponent Pandit Birju Maharaj and legendary film choreographer Saroj Khan.
- Madhuri appeared on the first season of Kaun Banega Crorepati in 2001. She donated her winnings of Rs. 5,000,000 between the victims of the 2001 Gujarat earthquake and an orphanage located in Pune.
- Madhuri’s name came under fire for promoting the instant Maggi noodles, of which she was a brand ambassador, in 2015. The FSSAI (Food Safety and Standards Authority of India) had banned the product from human consumption after all 9 varieties of the brand were found to contain toxic levels of lead.
- Famous painter M. F. Hussain was so besotted with Madhuri that he watched her film Hum Aapke Hain Koun more than 67 times. He considered the actress his muse and directed his debut film Gaja Gamini (2000) as a tribute to her eternal beauty. However, the film turned out to be a box office disappointment.
- Madhuri ranked first in the list of “The Most Popular Actresses of all Time” curated by NDTV in 2012.
- Sanjay Leela Bhansali’s magnum opus Devdas, where she played Chandramukhi, received huge acclaim in India as well as overseas. The period drama was screened at the Cannes Film Festival in 2002 and was included on Time Magazine‘s list of “10 Best Films of the Millennium Worldwide.” Additionally, it earned a nomination at the “BAFTA Award for Best Film Not in the English Language“ and was also India’s selection for the “Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film“, though it did not make the final cut.
- To mark the occasion of 100 years of Indian cinema, CNN-IBN conducted a poll of “India’s Greatest Actress in 100 Years” in 2013. Madhuri appeared on the 2nd spot right behind the late actress Sridevi.
- She was a judge on the dance reality show Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa from 2010 to 2014. She left the show after 4 seasons to focus on developing her own dance reality program.
- Dance With Madhuri, an online dance academy was launched by the actress in 2013 in a bid to share her dance expertise and connect with her fans directly.
- Filmmaker Ram Gopal Varma produced the film Main Madhuri Dixit Banna Chahti Hoon
in 2003. The film, about a small-town girl who aspires to achieve stardom like her idol, was a tribute to her legacy as an actress.
- Madhuri has received 16 Filmfare Award nominations since the beginning of her career. She has won 4 “Best Actress” Awards for Dil, Beta, Hum Aapke Hain Koun, and Dil To Pagal Hai and a “Best Supporting Actress” Award for Devdas.
- She was also awarded a “Filmfare Special Award“ in 2011 in recognition of her 25-year-long career in the Indian film industry.
- In 2008, Madhuri became the recipient of a Padma Shri Award, the fourth highest civilian honor, for her contribution in the field of arts.
- Madhuri has used her celebrity status to shine a light on several social issues like empowerment of the girl child, rights of children, and the benefits of breastfeeding. Additionally, she has worked with the animal welfare organization Emeralds for Elephants, to help raise funds for the conservation of endangered species like the Asian elephant.
- Visit her official website @ madhuridixit-nene.com.
- Follow Madhuri Dixit on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
Featured Image by Bollywood Hungama / Wikimedia / CC BY 3.0