|Marcel Ruiz Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 8 in|
|Date of Birth||July 9, 2003|
|Shoe Size||8 (US)|
Marcel Ruiz is a Puerto Rican-American actor, model, and YouTube star, best known for portraying Alex Alvarez in the One Day at a Time TV series alongside Isabella Gomez, which started airing in 2017, and was produced by Netflix. The series had a 97% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes, a well-known film and TV show review website. Ruiz was nominated for the Imagen Foundation Award in the category of “Best Young Actor-Television” in both 2017 and 2018 for his appearance in the series. He has acted in commercials as a child and was a child model.
At the age of 9, he relocated to Los Angeles, California, United States, along with his parents who were both filmmakers. Acting in TV shows or films was a hobby for him, mostly because he wasn’t fluent in English, so he appeared in Spanish commercials instead. In 2018, Marcel was still attending high school even though he started pursuing acting. Marcel has had a guest role in the 4th episode of season 1 of the crime-drama Snowfall (2017) produced by FX, and starred in a biographical drama film Breakthrough as John Smith, along with Topher Grace and Chrissy Metz, released on April 2019.
Old San Juan, Puerto Rico
Los Angeles, California, United States
He was attending high school in early 2019.
- Father – Carlitos Ruiz Ruiz (Filmmaker)
- Mother – Mariem Pérez Riera (Producer, Director)
- Siblings – None
- Others – Silverio Pérez (Maternal Grandfather) (TV Host, Singer), Roxana Riera (Maternal Grandmother)
Marcel is represented by –
- Osbrink Talent Agency in Universal City, California, United States
- DePaz Management in Los Angeles, California, United States
- Rogers & Cowan in Los Angeles, California, United States (Publicist)
5 ft 8 in or 173 cm
60 kg or 132 lbs
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Puerto Rican descent.
- Fringe or undercut haircut
- Tall, slim physique
8 (US) or 41 (EU) or 7 (UK)
Marcel has supported Voices for Puerto, a charity organization co-created by his parents. Their goal was to raise money for Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria happened there in late 2017.
Best Known For
- Starring in Netflix’s reboot of One Day at a Time that started airing in 2017
- Playing a character named Popeye in Snowfall (2017)
- Acting in Breakthrough (2019) as a character John Smith
- Having a YouTube channel named Its Marcel Ruiz he founded in 2018
Marcel made his theatrical film debut in Breakthrough released in early 2019, where he played the character of John Smith.
First TV Show
His television show debut was One Day at a Time TV series, rebooted by Netflix in 2017. As of 2019, he was playing the character of Alex Alvarez in the 3rd season.
Marcel Ruiz Favorite Things
- Sports – Soccer, Basketball
- Soccer Club – Real Madrid
- Actor – Ansel Elgort
- Color – Purple, Baby Pink, Red, Grey, Green
- Food – Sushi
- Rappers – Kendrick Lamar, A$AP Rocky, 21 Savage
Source – YouTube Q&A
Marcel Ruiz Facts
- He is very passionate about sports and plays soccer and basketball primarily, but also loves swimming, tennis, and track and field.
- His first language is Spanish, but he learned to speak English fluently when he attended high school in the United States.
- Marcel’s parents bought him ice cream when he landed the role of Alex in One Day At a Time in 2017.
- He would often prank his co-star, Isabella Gomez by taking and hiding her phone so that she would freak out.
- Marcel was starstruck when he met Stephen Curry in early 2019.
- He has a dog named Broky.
- Marcel described his style as a mix of designer and streetwear. He also said that he is passionate about fashion and hopes to design his own clothing line.
- Marcel can juggle and dance salsa, but also play the piano and cello.
- In interviews, Marcel stated that he and the character of Alex are quite similar when it comes to personality. Both are sports fans, have a good relationship with their grandmother, are constantly trying to fix their hair, and wear good clothes.
- He never took acting classes as a child actor and model.
Featured Image by Marcel Ruiz / Instagram