|Matthew Macfadyen Quick Info|
|Height||6 ft 3 in|
|Date of Birth||October 17, 1974|
Matthew Macfadyen is an English actor, voice actor, and theatre artist who is known for playing Mr. Darcy in Pride & Prejudice, Daniel Howells in Death at a Funeral, Tom Quinn in Spooks, Sheriff of Nottingham in Robin Hood, Georg von Trapp in The von Trapp Family: A Life of Music, Benjamin Stahlbaum in The Nutcracker and the Four Realms, Det. Insp. Edmund Reid in Ripper Street, Tom Wambsgans in Succession, John Birt in Frost/Nixon, and Joe Miller in Criminal Justice.
David Matthew Macfadyen
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, England, United Kingdom
Matthew Macfadyen studied in schools in England (including in Louth, Lincolnshire), Scotland, and Indonesia. He attended Oakham School in Rutland and then got enrolled at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art when he was 17 years old.
Actor, Voice Actor, Theatre Artist
- Father – Martin Macfadyen (Oil Executive)
- Mother – Meinir (née Owen) (Drama Teacher, Former Actress)
- Sibling – Jamie Macfadyen (Younger Brother)
- Others – David Evans McFadyen (Paternal Grandfather), Margaret White Wilson (Paternal Grandmother)
He has been signed with Hamilton Hodell, Talent Agency, London, England, United Kingdom.
6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm
76 kg or 167.5 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Matthew Macfadyen has dated –
- Keeley Hawes (2002-Present) – He started going out with actress and producer Keeley Hawes in the year 2002 and the duo has also co-starred in the spy drama series, Spooks. In November 2004, they got married and have been blessed with 2 children – a daughter named Maggie Liberty Macfadyen (b. December 2004) and a son named Ralph Owen Macfadyen (b. September 2006). Also, he is the stepfather of Miles, Hawes’ son from her previous marriage.
Race / Ethnicity
He is of Scottish descent on his father’s side and has Welsh ancestry on his mother’s side.
Matthew Macfadyen Favorite Things
- Film – Fanny and Alexander
Source – IMDb
Matthew Macfadyen Facts
- Owing to his father’s job, he spent his childhood years growing up in a number of places, including Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Alongside Keira Knightley, Donald Sutherland, Rosamund Pike, Jena Malone, and Judi Dench, Matthew Macfadyen co-starred as Fitzwilliam Darcy (generally referred to as Mr. Darcy), an archetype of the aloof romantic hero who is a romantic interest of Elizabeth Bennet, in the 2005 romantic drama film, Pride & Prejudice, based on Jane Austen’s 1813 novel of the same name.
- For his performance in Pride & Prejudice, Macfadyen was nominated for a London Critics Circle Film Award for “Best Newcomer” in 2006. Also, he hadn’t read Jane Austen’s “Pride and Prejudice” before shooting the film adaptation.
- He appeared as Joe Miller in 3 episodes of the BBC thriller legal drama series, Criminal Justice, in 2009. This role won him the 2010 British Academy Television Award for “Best Supporting Actor”.
- Matthew Macfadyen has described the 1982 period drama film, Fanny and Alexander (Swedish: Fanny och Alexander), by filmmaker Ingmar Bergman as one of his inspirations. He thought the film was “an example to follow – an example of people acting with each other…”, and which “featured just the most extraordinary acting I’d ever seen”.
- In 2015, he was cast as Lord Uhtred in the historical fiction television series, The Last Kingdom.
- Both Matthew and Keeley Hawes are patrons of the Lace Market Theatre in Nottingham.
- His theatre credits include having been cast in productions like One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, A Midsummer Night’s Dream, The Duchess of Malfi, The School for Scandal, Much Ado About Nothing, Perfect Nonsense, Private Lives, Henry IV, and The Pain and the Itch.
Featured Image by Tomaholic / Wikimedia / CC BY-SA 3.0