|Maureen Lipman Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 7 in|
|Date of Birth||May 10, 1946|
Maureen Lipman is an English actor, writer, theatre artist, comedian, voice actor, and political activist who has been cast in a variety of television roles like Evelyn Plummer in the soap opera Coronation Street, Beverley Bull in the sitcom Bull, Irene Spencer in the comedy series Ladies of Letters, Jane Lucas in the sitcom Agony Again, Maggie Wynch in the children’s science fiction drama series The Fugitives, and Sarah Lewis in courtroom drama series Crown Court. Moreover, she has also been a part of several movies such as The Pianist, National Lampoon’s European Vacation, Water, The Wildcats of St Trinian’s, Up the Junction, Captain Jack, Carry On Columbus, Educating Rita, Metamorphosis, Lighthouse Hill, Rogue Male, The Knowledge, Oklahoma!, and Winter Solstice. For services to charity, entertainment, and the arts, Maureen Lipman was appointed Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in the 1999 New Year Honours and Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE) in the 2020 Birthday Honours.
Maureen Diane Lipman
Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
Muswell Hill, London Borough of Haringey, London, England, United Kingdom
Maureen Lipman studied at Wheeler Primary School as well as attended Newland School for Girls in Hull.
Afterward, she attended the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (LAMDA), a drama school located in Hammersmith, London.
Actor, Writer, Theatre Artist, Comedian, Voice Actor, Political Activist
- Father – Maurice Julius Lipman (A tailor who had a shop between the Ferens Art Gallery and Monument Bridge)
- Mother – Zelma Pearlman
- Siblings – Geoffrey Lipman (Older Brother)
Maureen Lipman has been signed with Gavin Barker Associates, Ltd., Talent Agency, London, England, United Kingdom.
5 ft 7 in or 170 cm
55 kg or 121 lbs
Boyfriend / Spouse
Maureen Lipman has dated –
- Jack Rosenthal (1974-2004) – In 1974, she got married to playwright Jack Rosenthal and they had 2 children – a daughter named Amy Rosenthal (b. 1974) and a son named Adam Rosenthal (b. 1976) – who both became writers. Maureen and Jack remained together until his death in 2004.
- Guido Castro (2008-2021) – She was in a relationship with retired computer expert Guido Castro from 2008 until his death in January 2021. He was an Egyptian Jew.
Race / Ethnicity
Salt and Pepper
- Prominent cheekbones
- Lean body
Maureen Lipman was cast in the TV commercials for –
- Aluglaze Windows (1977)
- British Telecom (1988)
She had a Jewish upbringing.
Maureen Lipman Facts
- It was her mother who encouraged her to a career in acting. Also, she used to take Maureen to the pantomime and push her onto the stage.
- From 1971 to 1973, Maureen Lipman was a member of Laurence Olivier‘s National Theatre Company at the Old Vic.
- She portrayed the character of Margaret Thatcher in the 1985 comedy film Water, starring Michael Caine, Billy Connolly, Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Ringo Starr, and others.
- Alongside Adrien Brody, Thomas Kretschmann, Frank Finlay, Emilia Fox, Ed Stoppard, Julia Rayner, and Jessica Kate Meyer, Maureen Lipman co-starred as Edwarda Szpilman in the 2002 biographical war drama film The Pianist. Directed by Roman Polanski, the film received widespread critical acclaim and was included in BBC’s 100 Greatest Films of the 21st Century in 2016.
- For her performance in The Pianist, she was nominated for a Polish Film Award in the “Best Supporting Actress” category in 2003.
- In 2018, Maureen Lipman started appearing as Evelyn Plummer in Coronation Street and this role won her the Inside Soap Award for “Best Newcomer” in 2019.
- Her autobiographical books include How Was It For You?, Something To Fall Back On, Thank You For Having Me, You Can Read Me Like A Book, and Lip Reading.
Featured Image by Images Alight / Flickr / CC BY 2.0