|Maxwell Quick Info|
|Height||5 ft 10 in|
|Date of Birth||May 23, 1973|
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Maxwell is an American musician, singer, songwriter, and record producer who has recorded the solo studio albums Maxwell’s Urban Hang Suite (1996), Embrya (1998), Now (2001), BLACKsummers’night (2009), and blackSUMMERS’night (2016). These albums peaked at number 8, 2, 1, 1, and 1, respectively, on the Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums music chart that ranks R&B and hip-hop albums based on sales in the United States and is published weekly by Billboard magazine. The last 4 of these albums peaked at number 3, 1, 1, and 3, respectively, on the Billboard 200, a record chart ranking the 200 most popular music albums and EPs in the United States. The first 4 of these albums had all been certified ‘Platinum’ by the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America). As of November 2022, he had won 3 Grammy Awards and 2 NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Colored People) Image Awards.
Gerald Maxwell Rivera
Maxwell, Musze, Muze, X’Mosque, Mennard
Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States
Musician, Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer
- Father – His father died in a plane crash when he was about 3 years old.
R&B, Alternative R&B, Soul, Neo Soul, Progressive Soul, Funk
Vocals, Piano, Guitar, Synthesizer
Maxwell’s net worth had been $10 million according to CelebrityNetWorth.com.
5 ft 10 in or 178 cm
73 kg or 161 lbs
Girlfriend / Spouse
Maxwell has dated –
- Miredys Peguero – Rumor
- Ananda Lewis (1998)
- Elisabeth Röhm (2003)
- Camila Alves (2004)
- Doutzen Kroes (2006)
- Raven Davis (2007)
- Kris Jacobs (2009)
- Selita Ebanks (2009-2010)
- Deimante Guobyte (2013-2014)
- Julissa Bermudez (2014-2019)
Race / Ethnicity
Multiracial (Black and Hispanic)
He is of Afro-Haitian descent on his mother’s side and Puerto Rican descent on his father’s side.
- Slender frame
- Ever-changing hairstyle
- Cheerful smile
- Often sports a rugged beard or a goatee
- Maxwell began composing music when he was about 17 years old. This was after a friend had gifted him a Casio keyboard. He soon self-learned how to play a variety of musical instruments.
- His musical growth was rapid, and by 1991, he had started performing on the New York City club scene. Around this time, he also began recording songs for a demo tape which eventually led to his official debut concert performance at a Manhattan nightclub called Nell’s.
- In the mid-1990s, he is said to have written and recorded more than 300 songs while continuing to play at small venues throughout New York City. His burgeoning reputation saw him sign a recording contract with Columbia Records in 1994.
- He chose to use Maxwell, his middle name, as his stage name, out of respect for his family’s privacy.
- He has been credited, along with fellow musicians D’Angelo and Erykah Badu, with helping to shape the ‘neo soul’ (a genre of popular music that emerged from the soul and contemporary R&B music genres) movement during the late 1990s. His debut studio album, titled Maxwell’s Urban Hang Suite (1996), has often been cited by music critics as a key milestone in the ‘neo soul’ movement.
- In 2019, Maxwell was honored with the ‘Lifetime Achievement Award’ by the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation (an American educational foundation that researches issues affecting African Americans) and the Congressional Black Caucus (a caucus consisting of most of the African-American members of the United States Congress) to honor his contributions to the music industry.
Featured Image by Maxwell / Instagram